Off to Salmon River

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Wheels rolling in 5 mins (2:30AM now) to make the 4 hour trip north to Pulaski and the tail end of the salmon run from
Lake Ontario. Steelhead are stacking up so hoping to check off a bucket list trip. Same day turn around but I’ll post results either late tonight when I’m in or more likely tomorrow. It’s sort of in between peaks now and midweek so I hope it’s not crowded. Never been before but a few PA guys gave me great advice. I’m fishing the first 2.5 miles of river on private land called “DSR”. I’ve never been one to fish near another person I wasn’t with so even with lower numbers it might be than I can handle. The anglers allowed in this week drop from 250 to 125 for 2.5 miles of river. That counts season holders, guided anglers, etc. No idea how many to expect. I’m hoping for a few to give me tips to be honest.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have made a couple trips up there for the steelhead. Had a trip booked and planned this past year for Ohio but the COVID hit the week before and everything was shutting down. Hoping to chase them this coming March. Good luck.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Been there many times. We usually went in Sept though. Steelhead should be there along with some browns. Check out Oak Orchard near Rochester.

One year in the 90's we were fishing the Douglanston run ( tihink that is the area you were going to) and former POTUS George Bush Sr. was fishing there. Me and my buddy looked up and saw a guy in a suit walking through the woods. Then we saw 4 more. We didn't know what was going on at the time but when we went out to the Ranger station he told us that they had closed off a section for him to fish. I think he had a mile of it to himself.

oh and GOOD LUCK!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Thanks all, just got back. About 38 hours including miles of wading in and out with 2 hours sleep hit me midday. Then another massive king hit and I went chasing it down the river again, Lol

I caught a limit of Kings with 5-10 casts each or less between hookups. Only had 1 foul hook and it was a monster that rolled in the line during a 45 min fight. I ultimately chased him down river 1/8th mile with another guy trying to help net him. Not 100% on my hook being foul but he went from all but beached side floating to jumping and recovered then dove deep and I couldn’t raise him to net. The stranger with the net had him twice but once he hit the metal and jumped out and the other time I don’t know what happened. Many times he’d beach and we’d be in neck deep water unable to reach him. With arms aching and him planted firmly in the bottom I ultimately popped the mainline.

Went on to catch 3 out of next 5. Biggest is probably a male that hit 25lbs. No Chrome for me and not many caught by others. Low crowd with the rain and midweek. The net guy was a good dude I hung out with all afternoon. His fishing buddy is in the hunting industry and guides hunts in Europe for Shockey and Boddington. Would’ve liked to had more time to chat about it but didn’t know until later and we all chased fish all day. One nice brown caught downriver I saw.

When I get some shuteye I’ll post good fish pics. Here’s a funny one, when you know you brought the wrong cooler.5F18ED6D-959B-420C-998C-6D5F1E59D5A4.jpegC6323A4A-AD02-4C58-9BCA-C38DA100DCB3.jpeg

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I never sleep much before a trip. Fear of oversleeping (which I don't do) and excitement keep me awake.
Me too I think, still wired up. Seasoned guys heckling from shore, huge powerful kings in shallow water, running to not spool out after they chew through 300 yards of line, one guy with platinum spiked billy idol hair had the sixth sense. Guys would be fighting down the river and he’d not even stop fishing, just do a weird hip bend and hover chest an inch over the water before popping up to keep fishing. Dude had eyes on his back or something. Didn’t even look to see them coming just knew.

mike

Eight Pointer
Made our second "annual" trip up a couple weeks ago. It is a very interesting fishery to say the least. Hard to get used to legally snagging a fish to keep, but a blast once you hook into one for sure. I don't like crowds either, and them jokers will jump right in on top of you that's for sure.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

20201010_180904.jpg20201011_125937.jpg

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I fished white water vs. those circled around pools trying to float into their mouths. I’ve heard they eat out of competition to kill eggs, I’ve heard they eat after spawn, I’ve also heard they are mouth open oxygenating to recover for the next run. I certainly felt “hits” though one down stream I suspect was a Steelie. I’m in the mouth open for oxygen camp though I was in a stretch not holding thick groups of salmon like I’ve seen in other areas. I’m not ruling out they “hit” the eggs but not convinced like others seem to be. It’s an interesting setup and I preferred the idea of steelhead feeding. Absence of steelhead and hard fighting Kings hooked corner jaw it was fun whatever it was.

I was curious on weight of the male. He was out of water a bit then I had to hike him out. Then iced all day before weighing at midnight. Charts say his live weight should’ve been 33.3 lbs. Seems like it based on pics I’ve seen of 30 lbs fish and 25 lbs fish. Not super important but don’t want to take anything from him as he was a beauty. Really wish I’d have landed my first. He had what appeared to be larger girth and net guy was excited. I never saw him beyond 15-20’ though. Wish I’d have known of the deep hole and had waded across above it so I could’ve tail grabbed him when he floated. I was shocked they recover and keep fighting like that. Lessons for next time.

I also should’ve dropped them off at smoke house. I’ve never smoked salmon and for $25 each that’s good. I didn’t know until after my buddy showed up and could’ve picked up the smoked fish today for the return trip. Oh well, have to borrow a smoker and figure it out.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I fished there for years and would say I caught a good 85% in the mouth. I always thought they just swam with their mouths open.

Back in the day, all the way upstream, they had an actual snagging area. Dudes would sling weighted treble hooks and just rip them back until they snagged one. We would go up just to watch sometimes. Once we watched 2 guys hook the same fish on either side of the river. Started yelling at each other, then they went up on the bridge and had a fist fight until the game warden showed up and hauled them both off.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Awesome, I was up there a few years ago in December for the steelhead with the fly rod. It was a blast.
Crowded but once you figure out the methods everyone worked together to avoid issues.

Cold as could be but we got into them. We fished the public sections near Altmar but Ive heard good things about the DSR section.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
DSR had a bad rap for making Trout species C+R along with large price hikes. I look at it as their land, they are controlling the experience, the market exists or they wouldn’t always get sold out. I’d heard “Guides” could tell you to give up a hole for their client and failure to comply would get you removed by DSR staff. If it weren’t for a Guide stepping away from a paying Client to provide insight I’d probably have been wet, frustrated, and have caught nothing. Almost everyone was super helpful and many seemed to just be camped out enjoying the show without actually fishing.

I know the $70-80 fee irks people. I’m sure there’s times like peak salmon season some can get disgruntled or pushy for clients. I also understand it’s part of a local residents income and a happy client tips. Locals tend to favor their own and with so many outdoors activities and hosts being accused of “selling out” to “wealthy” Non-Residents I’m surprised some don’t at least partially understand/accept. Or maybe they feel the Guide is leveraging their ability to force Residents out for Non-Resident money. I’m not sure but If I fish there enough it’ll probably make sense.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
NY had interesting laws as a kid. I’d always heard if your in the water it’s state owned land while the shoreline is private. It might not be that way now or maybe DSR is a unique case but I remember creek front properties posting toward the water.

In PA it’s different, own land on sides of waterway and you can deny access to “your” section. DNR is fairly successful overcoming this by only sticking trout for example if the property allows access while also over communicating to anyone accessing its for fishing only, no littering, etc and having Officers enforce. There’s still some areas without access and stocking trucks skip those bridges or sections of water. You can also stock as a private entity. Many clubs have a youth trout derby and are permitted to stock trout and deny access to that portion for a set time on one day. I’ve not heard anyone complain as local businesses sponsor it and the trout are much larger in higher concentrations. This provides other anglers weeks to months of additional fishing opportunities.

Returning to DSR side, I wonder if C+R steelhead/browns along the 2 miles of SR at its base smartens fish up when they get further upstream. I also wonder if the harvest would be higher if it where open to public even with a low daily limit. That seems it would negatively impact upstream opportunities but maybe there are so many it’s negligible. I’ve no data or details just thinking out loud.