Off the shelf AR?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Received my complete upper from UPS this morning, didn't understand that the package I purchased included everything for the lower as well except for the stripped lower itself......
Newbie mistake. It's all good though, my brother has decided to build as well and it'll save him some money.

What you've got is a spare lower parts kit. Never hurts to have spare parts.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I built one. Bought all of my stuff from Midway, except for the lower which I bought from Colfax Guns & Ammo. Everything came in under $600 and it was fun to do.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I built one. Bought all of my stuff from Midway, except for the lower which I bought from Colfax Guns & Ammo. Everything came in under $600 and it was fun to do.
Hey man, I'm excited about it! I've got a perfect range out to about 80 yards with a good berm right out the back door....

I ended up ordering everything through PSA, should end up around that $ amount with mags and ammo.
Trying to decide what optics to put on it now, any recommendations? It'll be a mutli-purpose rig....plinking and some hunting. Thinking scout-type...

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Hey man, I'm excited about it! I've got a perfect range out to about 80 yards with a good berm right out the back door....

I ended up ordering everything through PSA, should end up around that $ amount with mags and ammo.
Trying to decide what optics to put on it now, any recommendations? It'll be a mutli-purpose rig....plinking and some hunting. Thinking scout-type...

I went with the Nikon P223 Scope. Right at $250 with scope and mounts. I really like Leupold scopes and that is what I have on everything else, but I decided to go a little cheaper since I built my AR just for plinking.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Vortex, Nikon and Leupold all make AR specific scopes

You could also get a cheap red dot instead

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LOL! Whew CRC, starting out with names like that it's pretty clear that you got more disposable income than I do....;)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You are about to get an education, we all did. With optics so high above the bore when you go to sight that thing in you will find out it is different than shooting with traditional rifles where you get the scope as close to the bore as possible. Took me a while to get used to that. It doesn't make much difference at 100 yds but up close it does.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

If you're not careful, optics can immediately turn your svelte little AR into a relatively heavy stick. If you're anticipating engagement distances under 200 yards, consider a small body (2 MOA) red-dot. They keep things light, convenient to handle and fairly easy to shoot off-hand.

As for scopes on AR carbines, I prefer a LPV (low power variable) with a generous eye-relief and large FOV.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A dot sight is about perfect for 100 and in.

And 41magfan was spot on. A lot of people take a fast handling carbine and turn it into an unwieldy brick.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You wont get a 50mm on an AR without it looking goofy 2" high, they just aren't made for that. I prefer a 1-4x24 for most of mine but I do have a nikon p308 on my 308 AR.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Spoke with PSA this morning. My FFL now has his info on file and they're processing the order for shipping.
Received my complete upper from UPS this morning, didn't understand that the package I purchased included everything for the lower as well except for the stripped lower itself......
Newbie mistake. It's all good though, my brother has decided to build as well and it'll save him some money.

Extra parts turn into another rifle :) Just built another upper at work yesterday but that's my job here in Astan. Got one of PSA deals back in Jan for a complete gun minus stripped lower for $299.99 with free shipping. Son picked up a Anderson lower for it. Slapped on a extra BUIS and he was good to go. For optics check out SIGs new line which seems reasonably priced.

CD

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You wont get a 50mm on an AR without it looking goofy 2" high, they just aren't made for that. I prefer a 1-4x24 for most of mine but I do have a nikon p308 on my 308 AR.
Copy that. Wasn't considering putting a 50 on, just saying that I'm familiar with higher mounted optics systems and the problems that are inherent with them.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for all the help you guys, this process has turned out be a blast. Everything went together so easily I wonder why I didn't get into them sooner. Awesome platform, awesome weapon.......or it will be when the LaRue trigger gets here. And the Sig Romeo5.
I'm meeting new people too....UPS drivers!!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With your history of modular weapons, I figured you would take to it. Beware, there are a lot more options than just ILF limbs.:)

Most people can't stop at just one. There are just too many options.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With your history of modular weapons, I figured you would take to it. Beware, there are a lot more options than just ILF limbs.:)

Most people can't stop at just one. There are just too many options.

Isn’t that the case with guns period? Lol. I really would like to build an AR pistol to keep by the bed. Maybe an 9” 300BO will be in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Received the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 yesterday, if you're looking for a red dot I don't know how much more you could ask for at that price. The Motac system works as advertised, shutting down automatically after a minute or so with no activity. Should be great battery life....
This optic does sit high, about 2 1/2" above bore, but I wanted to keep irons on it and they do provide a lower mount with it.
Less than a dozen rounds later I was key-holing a quarter sized dot at 50. Surprisingly enough the milspec trigger really wasn't all that bad after just a little smoothing work. Now it has a really crisp break, around 6# if I had to guess, and all the initial grit I'd found in it is gone. The LaRue should make this an awesome little rig....

Last edited:

The Dude

Eight Pointer
I haven't had a chance to play around with any of the optic offerings from Sig. But so far I haven't heard anything bad. Glad your happy with it longrifle.