Off the shelf AR?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seriously considering adding an AR style rifle to my collection. I'm not at all informed on the platform, more like I'd just like to have one. I'm going to a local gun show tomorrow, I have a nice stainlesss/blued P226 Sig that's collecting dust as an EDC, probably gonna do some horse-trading. Looking to spend between $500-$700. What would you look for/at?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Save your money and build. You can get a magpul equipped, better trigger lower and rail upper from psa for $425 or so. Essentially a factory built rifle...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
10-4. If you asked me to build a Kentucky longrifle or a Hawken from parts I'm your man. An AR? Not so much but I'm willing to learn. Would you mind helping with a parts list?
Save your money and build. You can get a magpul equipped, better trigger lower and rail upper from psa for $425 or so. Essentially a factory built rifle...

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
PSA is the way to go. I have one, fairly inexpensive but a solid rifle as far as my needs go. I “built” as well. Got a blemished upper, blemished lower, and a nickel plated bcg. Sign up for their emails, wait until what you want goes on sale, buy it and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Smith and Wesson Sport or PSA if you want a carbine

Most folks want carbine ARs

A 1/9 inch twist barrel will let you shoot most ammo but get 1/7 or 1/8 if you want to shoot 77 grain bullets in 223

Also depends on what caliber you want

5.56mm /223 Remington is the cheapest but other calibers are available but probably out of the price range you mentioned

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Definitely build. I did a “budget” build last year with an PSA lower & parts kit.wound up getting a complete upper on sale but..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nevermind, the question has already been answered. Thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna build......

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes. Depending on how fast you want it, they usually run some good sales between thanksgiving & Christmas

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]
Yes. Depending on how fast you want it, they usually run some good sales between thanksgiving & Christmas

That PSA upper I'm leaning toward is half price right now. If I can find the right lower at the show in the morning I'll order it tomorrow....

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Look on YouTube, they have assembly how to’s.. its really simple. Once the gun is assembled,just 2 pins to swap the upper out.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ehhh wth, ordered the PSA upper suggested by hotsoup and the LaRue trigger assy 41magfan recommended last night. I'll look for a lower today at the gun show...
Thanks guys, 'preciate the help!

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ehhh wth, ordered the PSA upper suggested by hotsoup and the LaRue trigger assy 41magfan recommended last night. I'll look for a lower today at the gun show...
Thanks guys, 'preciate the help!

That MBT is about the best thing you can put in an AR. I’d put it up against triggers costing much more. You’ll enjoy it.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Look for an anderson lower with the built in trigger guard. They are nice especially for the money. I have much more expensive lowers and really like the andersons also. FYI, the rifle kit you ordered comes with a pretty good fcg, you can sell it and the magpul trigger guard and recoup $30-40 or so.

Also, buy some pmags at the gs today as you can usually find them 5 for $50

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Take a look at getting some Hornady Black 75 grain match rounds unless you plan to reload.

And as stated Pmags or Lancer magazines will work, 5 rounds for bench shooting, 10-40 rounders for everything else

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Greatly disappointed in the gun show today, about a tenth of the vendors they usually have and very little AR stuff. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the lower from PSA as well as soon as I get my FFL's info later today....

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Greatly disappointed in the gun show today, about a tenth of the vendors they usually have and very little AR stuff. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the lower from PSA as well as soon as I get my FFL's info later today....

PSA has a FFL list on their site.. just put in the city/state & continue on with your checkout. Easy as can be.

Also check out Primary Arms.. they run really good sales as well & fast shipping.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
PSA has a FFL list on their site.. just put in the city/state & continue on with your checkout. Easy as can be.
Don't I need to contact the FFL they list beforehand? I have an FFL holder in the family, he was going to call Monday to get on their list. My brother is considering a build as well and it'll make it easier in the future...

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it’s an individual or a shop you don’t normally deal with.. in my case I always use Fuquay Gun for my transfers. Whatever I want to buy I just ship it to them.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it’s an individual or a shop you don’t normally deal with.. in my case I always use Fuquay Gun for my transfers. Whatever I want to buy I just ship it to them.

Same here. Great people to deal with.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spoke with PSA this morning. My FFL now has his info on file and they're processing the order for shipping.
Received my complete upper from UPS this morning, didn't understand that the package I purchased included everything for the lower as well except for the stripped lower itself......
Newbie mistake. It's all good though, my brother has decided to build as well and it'll save him some money.

Reactions: CRC