Off season running

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well we are into the last few weeks of deer season. I hate it and also look forward to it being over every year. Always good to catch up on things around the house after Jan 1. How much are y'all planning to run in the off season ? I will likely run at least once a month maybe twice a month in the fox pen until it gets hot. Some folks say a fox pen messes up deer dogs but the ones ive got now dont have any problem finding and moving a deer and they've all been run inside and outside. A few of us usually get together a couple times and run outside a few nights in the off season also.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Will run some of mine to it gets hot. I am still building my pack. If they were treedogs I wouldn’t have half of them, they just wouldn’t suit me I am just that picky. They run and jump so I have enjoyed them but I see the holes in them and want to make some improvements before next year.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Every chance i get even if it’s only for 2-3 hours . I try to run 2-3 times a week all off season but might slow to once a week in dead of summer or run at night .
Only one way to make a deer dog is to feed him deer tracks.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
2 times a month with favorable weather. Got a little one at the house now so it may not be that much. Had thought about selling out. In NC, clubs are starting to get over run by folks that don't have a care about nothing but shooting every deer they see and hunting every day to the week. Quality of clubs has gone down significantly in my area. I just don't see the need to hunt every day of the week, shoot every deer you see. Those practices create tension with neighboring landowners and cause good members to leave. Members that don't have dogs that want to kill a nice buck while experiencing the comradery with friends. Club and Deer Quality going down and rent going up. That is the main reason I ride an hour to Va to hunt.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That little one will change your hunting schedule like nothing youve seen before but you wont mind it one bit. I'm ready for mine to be big enough to start going with me.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I will be running once a week until it gets warm. Got to finish some young dogs and break five pups. Breaking them on the outside where we hunt them. Worked pretty good on the first litter, they take to the water and canals because they don't know any difference. Oh, and they go on in the thick stuff. It has really amazed me that we have been able to even get the dogs to cast where we want them to go. The bigger thing is them coming back across the ditches, especially when it is warm.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
That little one will change your hunting schedule like nothing youve seen before but you wont mind it one bit. I'm ready for mine to be big enough to start going with me.
My kennel partner has a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. We have been taking them since the oldest was a little over one. We had her I the woods coon hunting at a year and a half. He loves his children and managed it some how.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Bollweevil (my brother) has actually hunted the dogs just as much as me this year. His little boy has been riding with him right much since the Va season has been come in. He rode with him 3 days in a row and has loved it. Hopefully I can get them interested enough to keep some good hounds around. This years pack has been the best I have had in about 4 years. Got some dogs that know how to get after a deer and run him to the gun barrel. They have been a joy to hunt. Got 2 first year dogs that are running like they have been doing it 3 or 4 seasons, trailing, running and sinking teeth. That has kind of changed my mind on selling out.

Reactions: DRS

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just picked up another treedog castoff, I'll be running some after the season to see what he is made of to see if he stays or not. That is unless he is a barn burner and what little of the season is left he makes up my mind that he is a keeper. I wouldn't think that I would get that lucky.