Ode to the Dogs

likemy16

Button Buck
Just got back from an 8-day trip with my son and dog. Instead of posting pictures of the birds we harvested, and we had a pile of widgeon, gadwall, blacks, reds and others, I wanted to share this picture that captures the essence of why we go through the efforts to do what we do. Even if we are skunked, at least we have the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful sunrise.

sunrise. Gus Sunset.jpg

likemy16

Button Buck
Funny thing is, I don't usually notice how tired I am until I get home. Haha. We actually cut our trip short 3 days due to the wind. Our boat is 16' and just not safe during high winds.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Funny thing is, I don't usually notice how tired I am until I get home. Haha. We actually cut our trip short 3 days due to the wind. Our boat is 16' and just not safe during high winds.
I'm the same way. Or if it's cold, when I get back in the heat. That's been the story of this season, either a big blow or flat calm.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Warning, may be a tear jerking read, but is my Ode to a good dog. I can post a happy one later.

Five years ago today, we laid to rest one of the best. Dakota wasn't the best trained, wasn't top of the line bred, and wasn't even papered, but he was a damn good dog and followed me everywhere for 14 years. He retrieved my first duck, was with me when I asked my wife to marry me, and I was there when he was born. I watched he'd him grow from a puppy to a good family dog and hunting partner. He was there to watch over my kids as they were born and grew old enough to love him deeply.
When we went to the vet that day, I cried like a baby as he laid on my lap. My wife sobbed beside me. I can't say enough good about the people at Creekside Animal Hospital. They did everything they could to ease the process and comfort us while we were there.
I had arranged for the farmer that leases our family's land in Jackson to dig a hole for us with his backhoe. Unbeknownst to me he drove his hoe 20 miles back into town to do the job. Ha called to say that he got carried away as he dug, knowing what the hole was for and while watching his lab run around in the field. Said that if I needed, he would fill it in for me. When we arrived to lay my pup to rest, the hole was large enough to easily a VW Bug in. I placed my buddy in the bottom in a cardboard casket from the vet and tears streamed as my wife and I shoveled every last bid of dirt in.
Though my current puppy is a fantastic dog, with awesome training, good lines, and smart as any dog I could want; there will never be another Dakota.
Rest easy good buddy. We still think of you and miss you daily. You can never be replaced, just filled in for.

20220223_224219.jpg

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Throwback getting ready for the up coming season. Unfortunately she will be sitting this year out but her sister is filling in for her this year. They have been training the last few weeks to get them tuned back up on blinds, multiples and long marks.

Attachments

• B6B74E31-7E64-431C-8C2D-45522B8888F2.jpeg
    B6B74E31-7E64-431C-8C2D-45522B8888F2.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 10

outdoorbum

Button Buck
The older I get, the more I focus on the hunt not the kill. Low bird numbers, poor weather and no migration are realities we all deal with. Dogs make the hunt so much better. If you don't what it is to hear that retriever clicking his teeth as the birds work, whine to go pick up birds or cut his eyes as someone misses a bird; then you ain't lived!!!