Oct lull

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I checked four cameras today and the deer traffic has slowed down.
Only one good buck on camera right now.
Time to check out some oaks.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
I think it's hot right now, almost 90 here. That heat shuts down some movement. No rain lately. So no weather fronts. No moon also. Need some 30-40 degree weather.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm seeing a 2020 lull! I've been on probably 12 hunts and only seen deer 3 hunts. I've only had 2 deer in bow range but it wasn't legal shooting light yet. By far the worst bow season for deer sightings in my 20 years of bow hunting.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cameras on corn piles have slowed greatly. Big oaks near bedding will have plenty of activity. It’s the time of year you can bunt and see a dozen that never walk in front of the camera. I love hunting big woods with acorns. Seems like they don’t care about a thing. Some of the most relaxed behavior of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Cameras on corn piles have slowed greatly. Big oaks near bedding will have plenty of activity. It’s the time of year you can bunt and see a dozen that never walk in front of the camera. I love hunting big woods with acorns. Seems like they don’t care about a thing. Some of the most relaxed behavior of the year.

me too. (love hunting woods.
Guarding cornpiles in a shooting lane just doesnt cut it for me.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns

Thats gret for those of you with big woods....there are many that hunt planted pines only.

I haven't been this year so I haven't noticed a lull [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
Yes, pictures received from my cell camera has diminished from 175 plus per night to less than 30 a night. I feel they are on the acorns now. Went scouting today, however, I didn't find much concentrated deer sign. The acorns are abundant so I feel that is why deer sign is spread out. Found no scrapes, not even on the edge of the fields. I know, it is only the 10th, however, I figured I would have found at least one. The scrapes will start appearing regularly by the end of month.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thats gret for those of you with big woods....there are many that hunt planted pines only.

I haven't been this year so I haven't noticed a lull [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I have some pines. If the track is big enough, or the landscape is mostly pines, I don’t see the drop off like those with big oaks in the area. They keep eating pretty steady.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
If it don't get colder.deer not going to do much until November.Had a big doe off in my area and it don't look good.acorns are everywhere and few deer on top of that.Game lands and refuge hunts are in my schedule for this season.Right now.corn is not worth it

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I think there is something to a "lull". Basically, if there is so much food that a deer can choose when to eat it, then they choose a time they feel safest, for smarter older bucks, they chose nighttime. Or, the oaks are so close they don't move far. So old bucks, moving little, fattening up before rut = lull.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^that right there. There is a ton of food in the woods right now.

Instead of congregating in a crop field or a corn pile, they can spread out and just stop at the first oak tree from their bed. No rush, show up anytime and fatten up then go back to bed.
They are more spread out and the older bucks largely nocturnal for much of October. Even if you have oaks, it is harder. I believe the research shows that they move much shorter distances this time of year, which will result in fewer sightings and properties crossed.
The best bet is isolated oaks in or near bedding, but that’s a high risk game that can do more harm than good.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Nope, just changed stand locations based on the food source. Have seen more big deer in the last 7 days in the oaks than I have all year.

Same here. This is my favorite time of year to hunt...the deer are predictable. Finding food near cover with good access is key. Then wait for the right conditions and pounce.

My last 3 mature bucks: 11OCT2019, 24OCT2019, & 07OCT2020...the small cold front this weekend should be awesome.

Last edited:

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
When there is an abundance of acorns the best thing to do is find the right tree and after you do that you are in good shape. Deer seem to like some trees more than others and a lot of times you can hunt near the "feed" tree year after year and kill many deer.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are on the acorns, grapes, and other goodies. It’s a bumper crop of multiple sources this year. It’s like walking on marbles in the woods around here.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
They are on the acorns, grapes, and other goodies. It’s a bumper crop of multiple sources this year. It’s like walking on marbles in the woods around here.
Should have the fattest squirrels ever too. I saw more Hickory nuts than anything else

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
From a deer mag NAW:

"Deer hunters commonly label this period the 'October Lull.' But science says it isnt so.
Several studies including one from Penn State Deer Study Group have proven daytime deer movement gradually increases from summer thru the rut then tapers off.

What's really happening is a major shift in food sources.... From greens to mast crops,,,Deer arent hitting open food sources as frequently/.. They are still moving just in different places.."

Article titled Make Your Stand by Josh Honeycutt. in their bowhunting issue.
I have no clue his credentials.

If anyone has the PSU link please post.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
One nice thing about the perceived lull is they are giving my food plots a break so they can grow. Hopefully when the acorns dry up my food plot will be nice and lush for them to return to.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
One nice thing about the perceived lull is they are giving my food plots a break so they can grow. Hopefully when the acorns dry up my food plot will be nice and lush for them to return to.
Yep. When the acorns are gone and ever thing else turns brown they should be hot.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Same here. This is my favorite time of year to hunt...the deer are predictable. Finding food near cover with good access is key. Then wait for the right conditions and pounce.

My last 3 mature bucks: 11OCT2019, 24OCT2019, & 07OCT2020...the small cold front this weekend should be awesome.
Cold front and opening for rifle...lots of dead deer.