Ocracoke

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Taking a long trip from Oak Island to KDH next week and will be using the ferry system going through Ocracoke. Never been so what are some must do things before heading over to Hatteras?

Clark

Ten Pointer
You can drive from the ferry all the way through the village in 5 minutes. Several retail shops and restaurants along that stretch.
Visit the Ocracoke Lighthouse, although since you cant climb it that kinda means walking up to the base, looking up, then leaving,. Good for another 5 min.
Howards Pub is a well known bar, although it is closed in the seasons I'm out there.
1718 Brewery has some good beer.
There is a nice beach access about about 3 miles N of the village with a restroom. Took the grandkids out there on a clear night last Jan just so they could see what stars really look like.
Ocracoke is not so much about doing something as it is about not doing something...

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, its a pass through and the lighthouse is on the list for sure. Haven't decided if im going to catch the 0700 or 1000 ferry yet...want to be at OI to see the fish come in so im thinking 0700

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Also...best place for lunch heading up hwy 12?

Frisco Rod and Gun is on the list as I want a couple authentic River Rigs

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Eat at Howard’s. Get a chicken philly at diamond shoal once you cross over and get up into Buxton.

Stop at Teach’s Lair in Hatteras right by the ferry if you’re interested in River rigs.... that’s where Jerry aka River works at. Nice guy and will tell you anything you want to know. FRG ain’t bad but I just like talking to Jerry. Only shop at Teachs Lair, FRG, Right on 12, and occcccaisonally Hatteras Jack as far as tackle shops on the island. RDT can KISS my big white.....you didn’t ask all that but I’m not a fan at all and felt the need to express as much ?

After all that, go home and come back in late Oct-Nov

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Forget Howard's! It's gotten overpriced and the food sucks. 1718 is nice, Jason's is good, as is Gaffer's (they have a really good breakfast). The pony pens are a pretty cool stop as you're heading towards the Hatteras Ferry.

Almost forgot. If you make it in to Buxton before 11am, be sure to stop at the Orange Blossom Bakery!!!!

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure if you'll be as far up as Avon for lunch, but Bros Sandwich Shack is a very good lunch place right there at Food Lion. It's newer. Also, Lisa's Pizzeria in Rodanthe is one of the better pizza places on hwy 12.

Some of the traditional spots are more hype than good food.

JohnBoat

Banned
Couple of good places to eat down by the harbor and you can watch the days catch come in. Lots of cool shops and stuff in the old village. Beach is beautiful there. Its much more toned down than the much of the OBX. Its my favorite place to go besides Cape Lookout. If i have to bring the wife along its Ocracoke hands down.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Everybody here nailed it. I also go over the British cemetery. Pay my respects and enjoy the old portion of town.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
X2 on Eduardo’s. Shrimp and Scallop tacos!! The sandwich place/deli at Hatteras Marina is good. Justin nailed for tackle shops, if you eat at Jason’s it next to Tradewinds tackle, they’ve always been nice. I have a few t-shirts from there, nice designs.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Forget Howard's! It's gotten overpriced and the food sucks. 1718 is nice, Jason's is good, as is Gaffer's (they have a really good breakfast). The pony pens are a pretty cool stop as you're heading towards the Hatteras Ferry.

Almost forgot. If you make it in to Buxton before 11am, be sure to stop at the Orange Blossom Bakery!!!!

I’ll agree for the most part on Howard’s..... HOWEVER.... their tuna bites are the best I’ve had that weren’t caught by a boat I was on earlier that day or the day before