O'cock pompano

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Should be back after em maybe this afternoon if i can get this new waterpump installed. Got the waterpump brought over on the day ferry this morning and im fighting with one lower unit bolt. Its soaking with pb blaster and hopefully it will come out in one piece before dark.
The up side is the beers cold and theres plenty of it

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Should be back after em maybe this afternoon if i can get this new waterpump installed. Got the waterpump brought over on the day ferry this morning and im fighting with one lower unit bolt. Its soaking with pb blaster and hopefully it will come out in one piece before dark.
The up side is the beers cold and theres plenty of it
Heading to the island tommorrow for the weekend. Any tips on where to head or what to target?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ seems to be plenty of fish around the inlet, blues, spanish, pomps, few small drum.
Springers point has been producing some specks and flounder. Springers is wadable if youre not bringing a boat, and you can wade for clams out between the duck blinds there too.
Not sure about surf fishing as i have not been on the beach this trip..

kahunter

Eight Pointer
bringing a boat. would like to target spanish and blues (preferably casting) and flounder. Thanks for the info. Will hit the inlet

JohnBoat

Banned
Gonna need a bigger boat!

Speaking of, I've never really heard of people catching them from a boat? Do you fish the outer bar from a boat or what?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
@darkthirty id trade you 20lbs of flounder for 10lbs of pompano

Go home, you’re drunk.................??

My father in law loves pompano too. I fixed some for him and I didn’t like’em no more then than I did the previous times I tried to Eat’em. Just something about’em.
I’ll eat a whole fried pogey before I eat another one. Lol

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Woke up about sunrise and looked out back in the creek and saw bait showering. Grabbed a rod off the boat and fished off the bulkhead here in the yard for a few. They couldnt resist a zoom jerk shad20190802_082804.jpg

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Gotcha. My grandparent's house still stands on Portsmouth Island and we are hoping to start refurbishing it in the next couple of years.
That is pretty dang awesome.
You need to start a thread on that once you get the project going.
Thats gonna be a major undertaking given its location.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
That is pretty dang awesome.
You need to start a thread on that once you get the project going.
Thats gonna be a major undertaking given its location.
I may indeed start a thread.
Fortunately, the NPS re-did the roof on it a couple of years ago and it's basically "liveable" now - just dusty and drafty. It's about 200 yards from the water and we intend to ferry lumber and materials over from Ocracoke using my boat. Once we get it tidy'ed up we will power it with a portable generator.

It's this house.

Attachments

• Gilgo House.JPG
    Gilgo House.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We picked at em on the tide change and dodged thunder storms this afternoon. Bite was slow but steady. My wife caught the big pomp of the day, and i was high hook with stingrays. Her fish was 2.2 pounds or there about and was worthy of a nc citation.20190802_175651.jpg20190802_175804.jpg20190802_175521.jpg

JohnBoat

Banned
Would love a house on one of the core banks! If y'all get that refurbished it will be a family treasure forever.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Would love a house on one of the core banks! If y'all get that refurbished it will be a family treasure forever.
Yes, it will really be special to our family. My grandmother was the schoolteacher on Portsmouth for several years. She raised 3 children on the island before leaving during the "big storm" of 1932, I believe it was.
The difficult part is that we will have to restore it to historical standards since it's part of the NPS's historical village. Thus, we won't be able to go over there and start adding on, putting insulated windows in it, etc.