Oats

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
First time planter here. This may come off as common sense to you but new to me. I see this weeks forecast is a lot of afternoon and evening rain on my property, following week nothing. I want to plant oats but all the guides say for oats plant early sept. Trying to play the weather and with the mindset of not disturbing my property for archery season, should I plant now? Or is it too early? I have plenty of deer and I don’t want them to clear it out too early but I’d like them to frequent this travel corridor for archery. It’s a smaller area I cleared in the timber that gets decent sun. The reason I’d like to “draw more in” is that I also have 30 acres of corn to the south of my site and 30 acres north of me full of soybeans. So food isn’t scarce.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Has anyone ever planted feed oats if so how did they do

Good post as i was wondering the same thing. I usually plant buck forage oats but there are lots of local farmers around here that have feed oats for sale so i'm definately going to get a bag and try them out.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First time planter here. This may come off as common sense to you but new to me. I see this weeks forecast is a lot of afternoon and evening rain on my property, following week nothing. I want to plant oats but all the guides say for oats plant early sept. Trying to play the weather and with the mindset of not disturbing my property for archery season, should I plant now? Or is it too early? I have plenty of deer and I don’t want them to clear it out too early but I’d like them to frequent this travel corridor for archery. It’s a smaller area I cleared in the timber that gets decent sun. The reason I’d like to “draw more in” is that I also have 30 acres of corn to the south of my site and 30 acres north of me full of soybeans. So food isn’t scarce.

I wouldn't plant this early. With decent rain, oats can be hunted over in 2 weeks. Deer like them, but they aren't going to pull deer off of green soybeans.

Good post as i was wondering the same thing. I usually plant buck forage oats but there are lots of local farmers around here that have feed oats for sale so i'm definately going to get a bag and try them out.
I've planted both. My opinion is the Buck Forage is not a good value. The deer think oats are oats.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i use whole oats where i hunt to bait, no corn just oats, the deer hammer it every year and anything that isn't ate up just might grow and help me along

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I've planted both. My opinion is the Buck Forage is not a good value. The deer think oats are oats.

I agree that they are pricey especially compared to local feed oats and I would think that oats are oats to wildlife. I'm definitely going to try the feed oats. Thanks.

I had a club member drop out due to health reasons / not covid. Our budget is gonna be pretty tight. TS has whole oats for $15/50# bag. Gonna give it a try.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
look for wheat to mix in as well, local farmers should have plenty and it's really cheap. An oats, grain rye and wheat field is cheap and very effective until the end of the season. You can buy seven top turnip and purple top turnip seed reasonable at local seed stores, mix a bit into that grain mixture and you'll have a more effective plot than most you can buy in those expensive baqs.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Feed oats work well but the imperial whitetail oats are better as far as pull imho. I've planted both side by side. Sugar content?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I plant a forage oat. It’s not as cheap as feed oats ($17/50 lbs) but it’s a helluva lot cheaper than any oats sold in a bag with deer on it. Always try for mid/late September. From mid oct-January, there’ll be up to 30 on it every.....single.....day. And they’ll be at least one on probably 20 hours of each day. It looks like a putting green but it keeps growing. Another to remember is the earlier you plant, the taller they’ll be at your first frost and the taller they are, the more susceptible they are to getting burnt by the frost.