Oak Island surf fishing

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Anyone have any luck surf fishing at Oak Island....especially fall mullet, flounder, reds, etc? Got chance to go down later this fall Oct. & Nov. and never fished the island and would like to know what to expect. I know Southport good fishing....got friend that lives at Holden Beach and catches nice flounder.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Anyone have any luck surf fishing at Oak Island....especially fall mullet, flounder, reds, etc? Got chance to go down later this fall Oct. & Nov. and never fished the island and would like to know what to expect. I know Southport good fishing....got friend that lives at Holden Beach and catches nice flounder.
The fall fishing is normally pretty good on the island, I normally spend the whole month of October on the island but headed down end of September this year to catch flounder season. It’s completely different in the fall compared to the rest of the year. Live finger mullet for your reds, flounder, Spanish on fish finders and fresh shrimp on a double hook bottom right will take care of the rest for you.

Attachments

• 8EFD0A62-9D8E-4A5C-B676-9B0A4B349190.jpeg
    8EFD0A62-9D8E-4A5C-B676-9B0A4B349190.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 03857604-E68A-43E0-A619-53C2DF0B8906.jpeg
    03857604-E68A-43E0-A619-53C2DF0B8906.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 54

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Oak island surf fishing in the fall is like being on another planet compared to summer.
If you can throw a cast net, take it and a bucket with an aerator. Mullet are usually thick in the surf. Set up and fish. If no bites, start walking and look for troughs on the beach. Everybody talks about the point, but me personally, I’ve always did better on ocean side fishing the surf all up and down west beach than at the point. If you get on fish, don’t advertise it. Or at least don’t advertise with pic of houses in the background.
We got on fish big time last year. I credit my wife because she always pics out the beach house. By sheer luck, it made a sub par surf fisherman like myself, look like a pro. @CBD21 and his dad came over and helped me tame the Spanish and trout. Nothing but luck because there were zero defining features on the beach that would’ve led you to think there were fish there. Exact high tide for four or 5 hours of falling was incredible fishing, any other time it was dead. But good lord, when it was on, it was on about as good as it could be. If we’d figured them out the first half of the week instead of the last half, I’d still be eating trout and spanish😂😂

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Oak island surf fishing in the fall is like being on another planet compared to summer.
If you can throw a cast net, take it and a bucket with an aerator. Mullet are usually thick in the surf. Set up and fish. If no bites, start walking and look for troughs on the beach. Everybody talks about the point, but me personally, I’ve always did better on ocean side fishing the surf all up and down west beach than at the point. If you get on fish, don’t advertise it. Or at least don’t advertise with pic of houses in the background.
We got on fish big time last year. I credit my wife because she always pics out the beach house. By sheer luck, it made a sub par surf fisherman like myself, look like a pro. @CBD21 and his dad came over and helped me tame the Spanish and trout. Nothing but luck because there were zero defining features on the beach that would’ve led you to think there were fish there. Exact high tide for four or 5 hours of falling was incredible fishing, any other time it was dead. But good lord, when it was on, it was on about as good as it could be. If we’d figured them out the first half of the week instead of the last half, I’d still be eating trout and spanish😂😂
Valid point about if you find a trough holding fish, catch them as long as you can and don’t post background pics you will be found and have company even without the pics when you’re catching and no one else is.