Oak Island report...

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Came down to pressure wash and fish some. Pressure washed the house and the neighbors yesterday, fished some and caught very little. A short black drum and some perch. Today we hit a newer spot and caught a bunch of just that....spots. More than we have in many years, kept some for tonight as well as some rather large jimmie crabs. So tonight it was spots, hushpuppies and blue crabs.

They absolutely slayed the blues on the pier today also. A few keeper flounder showing up too although I didnt see any tracks or fish Wednesday morning when I went out for my first gig trip of the year in the backwater.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Where at on the island? Hit the creek last week and found a few short reds. Not one trout which was surprising and didn’t check the piers.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Fresh shrimp, on a creek. Had a few slot reds chasing small bait but didn't have anything to throw at them.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
I was down this past weekend and Ocean Crest was packed!! Did'nt fish any though, had the inlaws in tow.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Cap'n Frank is eager to get out off Carolina Beach this morning to troll for some Spanish. We've heard of a few being caught but it's still a bit early for them I think. But there are many reports of big blues so it could be a fun day. It'll be the first time out of the CB inlet but they have been dredging so it should be okay. And he's been going in and out there for the last 40 years so there's that. Anyway it will be a day on the water with a buddy so that's a win win.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Good luck on your trip. Clark and drone spoons are the o my way to go right now. I plan my trips around the 70 degree water temp this time of year. 70 degree water temp and I’m headed that way lol. Hard not the have a packed pier when your the only pier down there lol.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Cap'n Frank is eager to get out off Carolina Beach this morning to troll for some Spanish. We've heard of a few being caught but it's still a bit early for them I think. But there are many reports of big blues so it could be a fun day. It'll be the first time out of the CB inlet but they have been dredging so it should be okay. And he's been going in and out there for the last 40 years so there's that. Anyway it will be a day on the water with a buddy so that's a win win.
So the morning started off with the marina not having the boat in the water so we had to wait from 6 to 8 am for someone to show up. But we did troll for about 3 1/2 hours from just off Masonboro Island down to near Kure Beach. The ocean was flat until about the last half hour but it was still decent and my Dramamine was working as usual. We had a nice day for a boat ride and we enjoyed each other's company so it was a good day on the water. Oh yeah, we caught two small keeper Spanish and one blue. The only pics I took were of the mackerel just before we ate them. We'll get 'em next time.

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
I’ll be down there next weekend. I’ll post how it goes. Father in law was at Emerald Isle this week and said the pier was the place to be.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Sitting here about to ride out the storm so I’ll give ya an update. Pier yesterday was the spot to be. Trout just outside the surf line ate like they were at a buffet. No shortage of blues. Sheepshead and spade fish all around the pier supports. This morning before the storm rolled in hit the creeks and produced a few short black drum and some small flounder. Did have what I thought to be an over slot red break me off on an oyster bed in a creek.