NWTF Convention cancelled

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Im not personally an attendee or NWTF member but I find this to be extremely odd.

A few call maker buddies started saying that they had gotten the e-mails about mid-week saying the in person show was cancelled, and would now be held as a "virtual convention."
How in the he** do you have a virtual convention ? How do you have a virtual calling contest ? What if a crappy caller has a better mic set-up than you do ? He wins because he sounds better thru a computer ?? How does a taxidermist show his work virtually on one of the most difficult animals to mount properly ? Leaves lots of room for crappy people to hawk their wares if you ask me.

Whether you support the organization or not, that is a big show. More people attend to lay hands on product personally than support the NWTF I'd imagine. Lots of gun makers, ammo producers and call makers use that show as a launch pad for the rest of their year, to release and showcase new product.
Looks like it will hit the callmakers pretty hard. Yes, a booth was expensive, but a good crafter could move a lot of product and secure lots of orders there. You can touch and play before you buy, means a lot to some I guess....

I fully understand the logistics and planning behind an event that big, but don't you think it's a little early to say that the Covid is going to have us still locked down in mid March ? It is almost as if some people are just rolling over and giving in to this whole mess. It's only the first week of October.

Unicoi is a call maker only show, their tables are already booked full with limited space to begin with, and I haven't heard what the DDC plans to do, but know that some call makers have already reserved tables...we'll see.

Unicoi it is...wanting a few more trumpets. Im just about sick of this whole Covid-19 fiasco....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
all of this is crap...

fear of the virus,,,
fear of getting sued if you have an event and someone gets sick,,,
fear of govt "men in black" coming to levy fines cause someone didn't have a mask and stay 6 feet away from the rest of the world,,,

fear
fear
fear

makes me shake my dang head,,,,

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
all of this is crap...

fear of the virus,,,
fear of getting sued if you have an event and someone gets sick,,,
fear of govt "men in black" coming to levy fines cause someone didn't have a mask and stay 6 feet away from the rest of the world,,,

fear
fear
fear

makes me shake my dang head,,,,
So just to share a different perspective on things... I own two restaurants. Got a review on one last week paraphrasing but pretty closely here: " Food was very good and wonderful special tonight, waitress was very nice on stayed on top of things, this would be a 5 star review for just service and food alone but too many people were not wearing masks properly or at all. We will not be returning." They Left a 1 star google review...
So lemme get this right...the food was great, service was great, but because you're an idiot you are gonna do a 1 star review... got it:mek:(n)
I refuse to tell people they aren't welcome if they don't wear one in the door cause of how asininely ridiculous it is that they are gonna walk 10-20 feet then take it off.

I'm like WTF? I do not wear a mask IN MY OWN DANG PLACE when I am behind the bar or back in the kitchen and keep a social distance but use your dang head. Keep in mind that due to Roy boy we are limited to 21 seats so really small area...Are they talking about people EATING AND DRINKING not wearing one? If my customers are needing something where I or my staff go to their table and they are wearing theirs I will pull my Buff up across my nose ( and the girls have masks) but as so many have said, I have a huge beard and masks of any sort are worthless. If you are that danged scared stay home or get us to deliver grubhub!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So just to share a different perspective on things... I own two restaurants. Got a review on one last week paraphrasing but pretty closely here: " Food was very good and wonderful special tonight, waitress was very nice on stayed on top of things, this would be a 5 star review for just service and food alone but too many people were not wearing masks properly or at all. We will not be returning." They Left a 1 star google review...
So lemme get this right...the food was great, service was great, but because you're an idiot you are gonna do a 1 star review... got it:mek:(n)
I refuse to tell people they aren't welcome if they don't wear one in the door cause of how asininely ridiculous it is that they are gonna walk 10-20 feet then take it off.

I'm like WTF? I do not wear a mask IN MY OWN DANG PLACE when I am behind the bar or back in the kitchen and keep a social distance but use your dang head. Keep in mind that due to Roy boy we are limited to 21 seats so really small area...Are they talking about people EATING AND DRINKING not wearing one? If my customers are needing something where I or my staff go to their table and they are wearing theirs I will pull my Buff up across my nose ( and the girls have masks) but as so many have said, I have a huge beard and masks of any sort are worthless. If you are that danged scared stay home or get us to deliver grubhub!
Give us your place info and you'll have some new customers.:)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Sadly, how many "critics" have you met that was swinging for the left side of the fence anyway? Hang in there, I know that folks in your line of business have had to have it especially tough. I applaud you for your common sense.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I guess y’all will have to come to the Va Trapper Convention in Bland Va this weekend. Camping is free or many hotels in nearby Wytheville. We often stay an xtra day or 2 to cruise the many antique shops along I-81 in the area.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

That’s what I find really ironic. Some people feel the need to go out to eat, or get their Starbucks half whipped non fat hipster-chino, or spend a half day in Lowes buying decor so they can keep up with the Joneses. Don’t get me wrong ...God bless the free market system and freedom of movement. But if they’re afraid of the virus (which theyre allowed to be ), why would they expose themselves to those environments and do things that aren’t vital to staying alive or taking care of their responsibilities. Then they rant and rave about not feeling safe cuz someone wasn’t wearing a mask, or business “x” wasn’t enforcing the rule, etc. It’s bass akwards to me. Scared to get sick from random strangers not wearing masks in public places , but not scared enough to stay at the house for dinner. I’d hate to see these people in legitimately dangerous adverse situations. Hope your business stays afloat and the good customers outweigh the bad ones. Cheers

Datrip

Six Pointer
The NWTF was not the only party in making the decision to cancel the Convention. The Gaylord where the Convention is held had a role as well. I knew that there would be no way that it would be held in-person there with all of the restrictions in place, from face mask to social distancing. If you have never been, on the Saturday of the show, it is shoulder to shoulder people going in both directions in the Exhibit Hall. I love going and seeing and meeting up with friends, shaking the hands of ones I had met on social media, and doing some networking in getting ready for the coming season, with all of it revolving around a love of chasing the wild turkey. It is a basically a family reunion. I am gonna miss going in February.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Give us your place info and you'll have some new customers.:)
I had another one in today and a great one from last week ... lady comes in Today with husband and stands at the door within 4 -6 feet of where I sit and I’m drinking some water out of a straw, I sit my cup down and say “ hi guyS welcome I’ve gone one table in the middle there you can have a seat and I’ll send one of the girls over. I pull up my buff and start to stand up to go get menus, when her husband walks towards the table and she’s still at the door. He sits down and she’s starts waving at him, and he and I both go back and she says you are not following the state guidelines by having people farther than 6 feet from each other. I politely informed her that although she would be sitting back to back to another table only 4 feet away that was better than being 6 feet away facing people with no mask on. She insists that’s not true and at that point I told her that’s all I can do and have a nice day. She left and husband whispered I’m sorry as he left and I said no I’m sorry for you....
Lady called in a pickup order Last week and came in to pick it up an hour later. I came out of the kitchen sat her bag down on the counter and went back into the kitchen. One of my girls came in the kitchen and told me the lady left and called back saying she didn’t want her food since “ the guy in the kitchen didn’t have a mask on”. now we do all have latex or nitrile gloves, no exceptions but I never got with in 6 feet of her or anyone. The idiocy is astounding to me but then again after seeing the election of Roy again, not really...
to anyone that read this far thanks lol @lasttombstone has been to my place and posted about it so should be an easy search and thanks for the support😉

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Maybe you should put a sign on the door that says "if you are a mask freak, maybe this place isn't for you". Bet it won't hurt business. If you would open a place in Virgilina my wife could stop cooking.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
I’m tired of this nonsense, the fear and the ignorance, baffles me
cooper won the same way Biden supposedly has both times, the root of this evil runs deeper than I think we all realize and that book of revelations is in the Bible for a reason

Bperry

Six Pointer
I’ll try to add a little information.

The NWTF did not want to hold a virtual convention. The annual convention is one of my favorite things I do with the NWTF. The reason there is no convention this year is due to the unknown restrictions states are and would potentially implement. At the time the convention was converted to a virtual event the Gaylord had and still has a 250 maximum occupancy on events. This restriction does not look like it will be lifted anytime soon. Investing a few hundred thousand dollars in an event that only a few people can attend is not something we were willing to do. There is more to this story than what I listed above but it was one of if not the main reason.

The reason I know this because I serve as the Secretary of the NWTF National Board of directors.

I agree the virus has been politicized but anyone thinking it’s a hoax or not a significant health threat is sadly mistaken. This because I just retired as a paramedic after 31 years of service. My son is a firefighter and my wife and one of my daughters are nurses. It’s real and a significant health problem to the people who get it and the people taking care of them.

chadfenton

Button Buck
I’ll try to add a little information.

The NWTF did not want to hold a virtual convention. The annual convention is one of my favorite things I do with the NWTF. The reason there is no convention this year is due to the unknown restrictions states are and would potentially implement. At the time the convention was converted to a virtual event the Gaylord had and still has a 250 maximum occupancy on events. This restriction does not look like it will be lifted anytime soon. Investing a few hundred thousand dollars in an event that only a few people can attend is not something we were willing to do. There is more to this story than what I listed above but it was one of if not the main reason.

The reason I know this because I serve as the Secretary of the NWTF National Board of directors.

I agree the virus has been politicized but anyone thinking it’s a hoax or not a significant health threat is sadly mistaken. This because I just retired as a paramedic after 31 years of service. My son is a firefighter and my wife and one of my daughters are nurses. It’s real and a significant health problem to the people who get it and the people taking care of them.
BPerry , I almost never post on this forum but after reading the end of your post i have to.
My wife and 2 children along with myself had COVID and we all experienced nothing more than Sinus issues along with lost taste and smell.
I do agree this virus affects people very different and is deadly to some. The VAST majority experience the same as my family has.
I have had the common Flu a few times and would much rather go through what i did with COVID rather than the FLU where I did actually feel like I might possible die!!!

Bperry

Six Pointer
BPerry , I almost never post on this forum but after reading the end of your post i have to.
My wife and 2 children along with myself had COVID and we all experienced nothing more than Sinus issues along with lost taste and smell.
I do agree this virus affects people very different and is deadly to some. The VAST majority experience the same as my family has.
I have had the common Flu a few times and would much rather go through what i did with COVID rather than the FLU where I did actually feel like I might possible die!!!

Well not sure you had to but you must have felt like you needed to. I am glad you and your family had mild symptoms to the virus and have recovered.

You are correct, the vast majority of people do recover. What you miss is the virus is more virulent and contagious, so the infection rate is much higher which makes the number of deaths much higher. It’s not seasonal so it’s not slowing down during warm weather. When people congregate during winter the infection rate will increase. This virus was also new so we didn’t have a track record on what treatments to use from past experience. Our bodies also have no experience with it like we do with influenza.

These numbers are examples. The impact from Covid Is simple math.

You have a virus that infects 400K people and 1% dies. It’s seasonal, you have a vaccine, a track record of what to expect and how to treat it.

-vs-

You have a virus that infects 4 million people and 1% dies. It’s not seasonal so it spreads just as rampantly during hot and cold weather , you don’t have a vaccine nor a history on how to treat it. It also causes statistically disproportionate over aggressive immune response in the lungs.

Didn’t mean to start a Covid debate. I am glad you and your family are well.