NR Newbie has a few ?'s

Graybeard12

Button Buck
Hello:

Non-resident newbie here. Being totally transparent - I don't bring anything to this forum but am asking for an information handout. I tried to find an answer to the question below on the WRC website but was unsuccessful. My wife and I will be in Winston-Salem next week to visit our son and his family. If I take my 5 year old grandson fishing, do I need a license to help him cast? I will not be fishing. Also what ponds/lakes would be good places to drown a few worms and hopefully catch a few fish? It doesn't matter what species - a fish is a fish to him. Thanks for the help!

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
public water, for sure, you have to have a license. the 3 day isn't too much $$
I don't belive there is a 3 day the short term license for inland waters is 25 bucks for 9 days.

I belive if you handle the rod or bait it for him technically you need a license. If you can access someone's private pond you wouldn't need it.
Welcome to the site and feel free to jump in we have a number of folks that ain't living in NC and some are even from outside the country.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't belive there is a 3 day the short term license for inland waters is 25 bucks for 9 days.

I belive if you handle the rod or bait it for him technically you need a license. If you can access someone's private pond you wouldn't need it.
Welcome to the site and feel free to jump in we have a number of folks that ain't living in NC and some are even from outside the country.
se neither of us know what we're talking about. 10 days. $9/$23 resident and non resident

1638476439250.png

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Also, if you have multiple rods, and multiple people with you the game warden could write everyone a ticket that doesn't have license but has a rod available. For example, if you take 2 rods and your wife goes with you but doesn't have a license, she COULD get a ticket.... at least that's what the game warden told me when I was in high school and the lady friend was tanning on the back of the boat while I fished... she didn't get a ticket but he explained the law to me.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
she didn't get a ticket but he explained the law to me.

I doubt the law is written that way,,, may be how that game warden choses to assess situations, but if she never picks up a rod, never handles the net, doesn't drive the boat,, doesn't hold up a fish you caught so you can post it in the "catch and release thread",,,,, then she isn't fishing