Now that the nice weather is here, I'm out of tags.

Randy

Ten Pointer
Opening morning the rain let up before daylight so I went out and setup on field near where I thought some turkeys would be roosting. Didn't hear anything from the roost so when I thought turkeys should be on the ground I yelped and he answered just off the field corner 250 yds away. Over the next 15 min. I got him to answer a few more times, but he was staying behind a rise in the field along the far edge. A few minutes later I saw 2 turkeys slowly coming with 1 strutting. Eventually, they worked on in towards my decoys and I killed the strutter at 35 yds. He had some pretty good spurs. Thank goodness that I thought to take my Woods Wise waterproof box.

Sun. morning only had an hour to hunt and the only one I heard was 200 yds off the property and wouldn't pay any attention to my calling.

Went out again Monday afternoon in the high winds. After sneaking along and glassing downwind field edges for 1/2 mile I saw 3 gobblers at about 300 yds. Worked around to 150 yds and saw they were with 5-6 hens. I yelped and cutt at them several times and got no response, as they slowly moved on down the field. I had an idea of the way they would go so I backtracked and made a 3/4 mile loop through the woods to the field edge I thought they would be near. Sneaked up toward the edge and could see two strutters about 80 yds up the field. Eased down next to a tree about 20 yds off the field. After about 30 min, they started to work into range, eventually the whole flock was at less than 30 yds but I had no shot due vines and briars along the edge. After about 5 min. 2 of the gobblers started acting like they had made me out just as one stepped into a small opening. Figuring it was now or never I shot and was able to fill my 2nd tag.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Congratulations Randy.
BUT you will be counting your blessings that you are done after tomorrow. That beautiful weather is failing fast.
Just like the gobblers. they are dying like flies.
Us unskilled hunters like me are gonna have a tough row over Easter.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congratulations on a great but quick turkey season. For sure it sounds like you have good turkey hunting and that's something to be grateful for- lots of us have marginal turkey populations and getting one bird all season is not guaranteed. I really like those light coolered hooks on your second bird.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Congrats on tagging out. I tagged out one year Saturday and Monday. I decided I would never do that again. That said, I plan on going in the morning for my second bird, as my property situation is changing. Like Aaron said, good turkey property really increases the odds of scoring. I've hunted good and bad.