November trip expanded....

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
In Nov I always go to Kansas and hunt Pheasants for a week or so but this year I had a "hankerin" to go home for a few days and combine 3 days of squirrel hunting in Arkansas. I have a high school buddy lined up and we have our areas defined which include most of the spots I hunted as a kid. I can't express how much I'm looking forward to going back to where I hunted in my youth. I wonder if I'll recognize anything I remember as a kid??

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'll be in northern WI the week of Oct 20th thru the 30th, wanna go??

May have to shift that way,,,getting reports of low bird #s in UP and I won't get done in GA for another two weeks,,,plus the better turkey #s are on in the Western UP

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
May have to shift that way,,,getting reports of low bird #s in UP and I won't get done in GA for another two weeks,,,plus the better turkey #s are on in the Western UP

Every year before I go I always begin calling wardens, friends and acquaintances and asking about bird numbers and every year the reports are all over the board. Some say they didn't hear a bird all spring and others say the noise was deafening all day. I have searched the internet high and low and can't find the "grouse cam" site anywhere.......

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every year before I go I always begin calling wardens, friends and acquaintances and asking about bird numbers and every year the reports are all over the board. Some say they didn't hear a bird all spring and others say the noise was deafening all day.

The research I have done over the past couple of years was on par with that. Highly variable reports based on the location and source. 2 years ago, I believe they had said it should be the peak of the cycle and spring numbers were very good, then they had a terrible fall hunting season based on flush rates. Not sure why, but I suspect there's a lot of localized error in both personal reports and agencies. Kinda like acorn or deer reports here.

Good luck to both of you.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wisconsin just shortened their grouse season to end at the end of the year instead of continuing through January.

I was up there (Sawyer county) in August, and residents reported way more turkeys than grouse.

Flushes were way down for us the past 2 seasons. Planning to focus more on musky fishing and bow hunting this year...

davidson county

Eight Pointer
Been in Independence for a week. One more to go.( work) . local placed here talking like it should be a good year, if I hear more. Will pass on. I don't get this way to hunt, just work.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
bailey boat - my schedule is in flux but looks like I will head that way after the work day in Louisiana,,,will likely spend most of my time in the Western UP chasing grouse and turkeys,,,and maybe a squirrel/hare or three,,,

davidson county

Eight Pointer
talked with the GW around Elk lake and little place in town. both stated it should be a great year.
when I past by the Wildlife area on 75 opening day for deer. there was maybe 30 cars and trucks on side of road.
good luck if you get that way.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Trips over, I'm home for a couple of weeks and to say I'm tired would be an understatement.

Pheasants in KS were cooperative, got my limit of 3 per day every day except the day it rained and I wussed out and stayed in the room. Was able to bring 15 home so I have pheasants for a while.

The side trip to Arkansas was surprising, my buddy couldn't make it so I was by myself. I almost got lost going into the childhood woods, very few things looked anywhere close to the same but there were enough permanent landmarks to keep me from getting totally lost. I sat on a log and watched a few squirrels feed in the same tree as they did back in the late 60's, or at least in my mind I think it was the same trees. Memories came flooding back, I could see my Grandfather sitting beside me, I could smell the smoke from his hunting jacket and heard him say when it was time to go home. We walked back to the creek and turned left past the Cedar tree where the covey of Quail always roosted but they weren't there anymore. The sounds of the creek were the same as always and I sat for quite a while on the Big Flat Rock and contemplated the passing of time since I was here last which was back in the late 80's. More memories came back to me and my eyes may have gotten a little moist and then I heard Grandmother blow the truck horn which meant to get my butt home now so I took off running back to where I had parked my truck but she wasn't there......

It was a memorable time and I plan to include Arkansas in my future trips in that direction, or maybe it's best left in the past... I don't know....

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Glad you had a good hunt. The side trip to Arkansas was icing on the cake. You are lucky to be able to go back to some of those places and remember. Sadly, all the places from my childhood are unassessable or completely gone. Bet that pheasant is good.