Notre Dame Paris Fire wow!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
That scaffolding probably won't last much longer either.

With all the construction stuff seemingly in place, I'd consider that first. If it was intentionally set, that would bring out the ire of a MASSIVE amount of people globally imho.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The pics from that scene are incredible!

As a side note, a construction worker started a fire at my elementary school, still remember it like it was yesterday. It was raining outside and several hundred of us elementary aged kiddos and teachers stood outside in it while we watched the fire department put it out. I was in the 3rd grade when it happened.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
My mom said that early in the fire, people were going in to retrieve what they could, according to the news broadcast. My mom and a friend visited the cathedral about ten years ago. She said a priest approached them and asked if he could show them the very large stained glass. Mom loves that type of glass. Don't know if it survived.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
My mom said that early in the fire, people were going in to retrieve what they could, according to the news broadcast. My mom and a friend visited the cathedral about ten years ago. She said a priest approached them and asked if he could show them the very large stained glass. Mom loves that type of glass. Don't know if it survived.

Luckily it appears that most of the art work and statues etc had been removed for the renovation including the famed Gargoyles.......sadly the oldest stained glass windows were from the 1300's and used lead to hold itself together and well lead has a really low melting point so they are gone for sure.....this drone shot looking down into the main hall is heart breaking.....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So if the scaffolding survives, what is the next step? Demo it? Surely no one is going to walk on or under it right?

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Luckily it appears that most of the art work and statues etc had been removed for the renovation including the famed Gargoyles.......sadly the oldest stained glass windows were from the 1300's and used lead to hold itself together and well lead has a really low melting point so they are gone for sure.....this drone shot looking down into the main hall is heart breaking.....

View attachment 27481

???. I believe you are, very sadly, correct. No way to begin to put any value on such treasures. Read Notre Dame cathedral was one of the most visited places by tourists .

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My wife and I took the kids about 2 years ago; absolutely breathtaking inside and out. Stayed for the choir and it literally gave me goosebumps to hear the singing in those surroundings.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Apparently the reliquary is vault like and made to withstand fires so relics etc should survive.....and honestly this isn't the first fire they have had there and a lot of the building has been replaced/restored over the years. Reading on Reddit there are a lot of people saying most of the original stonework was gone by the late 1700's. They have 3D mapped the entire structure so they can rebuild it exactly like it was.....still there are parts of that structure that are literally 850 yrs old....

Take the USS Constitution, there is practically nothing left from the original ship.....in fact most of the ship is less than 100 yrs old. In fact there is a grove of special white oaks called the Constitution grove that is maintained to make sure there is a supply of good stock white oak to keep Old Ironside in tip top shape.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
???. I believe you are, very sadly, correct. No way to begin to put any value on such treasures. Read Notre Dame cathedral was one of the most visited places by tourists .

12-13 million people a year or around 30k A DAY visit Notre Dame......

Edit: you beat me too it......this was on my bucket list and still will be......hopefully they restore it, the building is THE example of gothic architecture, it still amazes me they could build structures like this in the early middle ages.....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Police in Paris are saying that the main structure has been saved ( seems a little early to make that call but lets hope they are right) and that they don't expect the building/walls to collapse etc.....the entire roof and spire though have collapsed and one of the bell towers was burning but saved.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I wonder if it could be an act of arson from the radical muslim population that has caused Paris so much grief over the last 5-6 years or so.

Apparently churches in France, especially Catholic ones, have been targeted with arson lately. Fox had a French politician on earlier that started to mention that fact and how they believe it's radical Muslims behind it but was shut down by Shep before he could get the full story out claiming they don't want to speculate the cause at this time.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The last time we were in Paris we were fortunate to visit the cathedral just before noon mass started so we stayed for the mass and really felt fortunate. That place is/was certainly inspiring.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Selma Hayek’s husband just donated $100 M.

I know a way we could raise that to $100,001,000 ?