Nothing finer

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
true wild trout are good eating

hatchery trout are mush,,,,not fit'n for man nor beast,,,,
I hate salmon and do not care much for trout. My favorite fish to eat is Yellowtail Snapper with Mangrove snapper being a close second.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Walleye and Yellow Perch (or Raccoon perch around here) are the best I've had. Sea Trout is pretty close in my opinion. Crappie might be tied for second; they taste better if they're handled right...IMO either caught in colder water, or put on ice before cleaning, does good things for the meat.

Flounder is good but I don't think I've had fried flounder that I'd eat again...something about frying it makes it mushy.

Salmon and wild trout are delicious...But IMO are different enough from white-fleshed fish that comparing Salmon to Crappie or Flounder or Sea Trout is akin to comparing it to bacon.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Salmon and wild trout are delicious...But IMO are different enough from white-fleshed fish that comparing Salmon to Crappie or Flounder or Sea Trout is akin to comparing it to bacon.

fact right there,,,,like calling a good tuna steak "fish"

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Agree with walleye being number One for freshwater, crappie and bream second, channel cats under ~20" third.

But I will eat just about any saltwater fish over freshwater any day

Flounder , dolphin, specks mmm good

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I would put grouper and sea bass ahead of either flounder or walleye. But I grew up on an island and we could get as much fresh grouper as we wanted any day of the week.

I'm with Tipmoose. Give me bottom fish first.....grouper, snapper, trigger, tile, sea bass. Next would be speckled trout and flounder. Then offshore pelagics....tuna (yellowfin and blackfin) and wahoo.....mahi is okay.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

Flounder is good but I don't think I've had fried flounder that I'd eat again...something about frying it makes it mushy.

Sounds like someone fried it and didn’t let the grease get hot enough. All fish fried in grease not hot enough is mushy and not fit for man nor beast. Lol
You drop those suckers in some grease about 390-400 degrees, and it won’t be mushy.
I recently saw a video on FB of some guys showing how to fillet flounder. It made me cringe because they were bragging about not having to scale the fish and took the skin off. To me, that ruins a good flounder. If you gonna fry it, leave the skin on. Fish has a whole different flavor with the skin on and I personally see no reason to eat a flounder if the skins been removed. Haha

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like someone fried it and didn’t let the grease get hot enough. All fish fried in grease not hot enough is mushy and not fit for man nor beast. Lol
You drop those suckers in some grease about 390-400 degrees, and it won’t be mushy.
I recently saw a video on FB of some guys showing how to fillet flounder. It made me cringe because they were bragging about not having to scale the fish and took the skin off. To me, that ruins a good flounder. If you gonna fry it, leave the skin on. Fish has a whole different flavor with the skin on and I personally see no reason to eat a flounder if the skins been removed. Haha
I’ve thought that...but the I’ve had it enough at enough places that at least seem to know what they’re doing that I wonder if I don’t care for the texture of the fish.