Not your typical poaching ring busted in Missouri

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Them boys ain't playing. :oops: Someone should tell them how good coyotes, possums, coons and skunks are to eat. That would be a public service.
When I worked a LGS years ago, the owner shot 3 coyotes one morning while deer hunting. He brought them to the store and an Asian fellow asked him what he was going to do with them. Owner said “toss em in the dumpster.” Asian fellow asked if he could have them and owner said sure.

Next day he brought us some homemade pork fried rice and other food to say thank you.

I didn’t eat any….

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I had a trade for Thai food locally for game. Never paid for anything. Gave them all sorts of stuff squirrels, deer, white bass and crappie mostly. They cooked off menu items for me with it sometimes. They wanted the whole thing though. Also charred the squirrels and ate them whole (minus guts). Their deer jerky was the sh! though. I asked about how they did it and all he said was “hang in attic”.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
come on folks,,,, it's obvious you all don't follow basic TSM methods,,,,

I need to link you all up with a subscription to TSM Quarterly,,,,

"let them go, let them grow" (for another few weeks anyhow since 75% of squirrels don't make it past the first year),,,

I BET YOU'D SHOOT THOSE CULL BUCKS WITH THEIR SCRAGGLY LITTLE TAILS!!1

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Lots of “they eat them whole” comments. How do you cook them so that the bones are edible? I assume, low, slow stew, but curious to know exactly how they do it.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of “they eat them whole” comments. How do you cook them so that the bones are edible? I assume, low, slow stew, but curious to know exactly how they do it.

It depends on the clan because they have superstitions. One clan might not eat hearts because they will go blind, another clan can’t use paprika, there are clans that say no to bones, etc. The ones that eat bones will eat the soft ones but the larger/harder ones they toss.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
It depends on the clan because they have superstitions. One clan might not eat hearts because they will go blind, another clan can’t use paprika, there are clans that say no to bones, etc. The ones that eat bones will eat the soft ones but the larger/harder ones they toss.
OK, that makes sense. Meat eater had a Hmong guy from Minnesota on several months moths ago & it was a good interview & look into how their culture fits into our hunting culture. They seemed like a lot of the people I grew up with. Hunting for fun, but also to eat.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
OK, that makes sense. Meat eater had a Hmong guy from Minnesota on several months moths ago & it was a good interview & look into how their culture fits into our hunting culture. They seemed like a lot of the people I grew up with. Hunting for fun, but also to eat.

Best friend is from Laos, we fished and hunted a lot together, as a result put a lot of food on the table for his family. We were legal of course.

His family didn’t eat bones, since the topic being squirrel his way is singe, quarter it, put in soup, eat meat off bones.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve got a lot of respect for the Asian cultures and their use of game. One doesn’t have to dig too far in here to find threads and wanton waste and disgust for not using a critter, then I can recall a few threads on here with disparaging comments about their uses of critters.

I had Hmong neighbors to the left when I lived in MN, and Mexicans across the street. Both hunted. Both used everything they could. Both made delicious dishes if you. Food was awesome. I didn’t ask questions til it after I ate. Nothing crazy, but it astonishes me how caught up in ones head people get over what constitutes food.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Anybody been in the grocery store & seen the prices lately.
If sleepy joe has his way we will all be eating possums & coons & coyotes & other critters.
He's trying his best to turn the USA into a 3rd world country.
We gonna be out there scraping up roadkill to get our proteins

Mike

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I’ve got a lot of respect for the Asian cultures and their use of game. One doesn’t have to dig too far in here to find threads and wanton waste and disgust for not using a critter, then I can recall a few threads on here with disparaging comments about their uses of critters.

I had Hmong neighbors to the left when I lived in MN, and Mexicans across the street. Both hunted. Both used everything they could. Both made delicious dishes if you. Food was awesome. I didn’t ask questions til it after I ate. Nothing crazy, but it astonishes me how caught up in ones head people get over what constitutes food.
Well said. Another one that throws me for a loop is someone who hunts species “X” but thinks you’re crazy for hunting species “Y” to eat it. Also I’ve had so many conversations where I was told “you don’t wanna eat them they’re nasty” just to question them and find out so n so’s great uncle told em that 20 year ago but they’ve never actually tried it to verify the claim. As far as different cultures’ cuisine....I’m all about trying new stuff

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer

Years ago, some Asian dudes (filipino I think) saw me filleting crappie on the dock and almost :poop: a brick. I said, "how do you guys fillet fish?" and he replied "with a fork". They then fished my bones and ribs out and put with their fish. Must have been soup night

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Years ago, some Asian dudes (filipino I think) saw me filleting crappie on the dock and almost :poop: a brick. I said, "how do you guys fillet fish?" and he replied "with a fork". They then fished my bones and ribs out and put with their fish. Must have been soup night

I think I've posted this before but hey, forgive the double tap if I did

in 1985 I went through the Malaysian Combat Tracker course (8 weeks of AWESOME),,,
during the field portions, the Malay's would take a cast net to the nearby creek or river (depending on where we were training) and catch up some fish,,,

method of cleaning? None
method of cooking? Ram a sharpened stick from stem to stern and roast over the campfire till done to desired level,,, peel off skin and eat around the bones, maybe sprinkling some seasoning or dipping into the hot sauce,,,, simple, fast, no mess, little clean up, and good eats,,,

they did the plaintain squirrels we shot (with a Lee Enfield SMLEs converted to .22 rimfire https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.2_and_.22RF_Mk.III.html) the same basic way,,,, ram a stick through them,,, singe the hair off on the flames,,, then slow roast like a very small pig,,,, they were good too,,,

sometimes we over complicate things that the 2nd and 3rd world folks have down to a science,,,,

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I've d
I think I've posted this before but hey, forgive the double tap if I did

in 1985 I went through the Malaysian Combat Tracker course (8 weeks of AWESOME),,,
during the field portions, the Malay's would take a cast net to the nearby creek or river (depending on where we were training) and catch up some fish,,,

method of cleaning? None
method of cooking? Ram a sharpened stick from stem to stern and roast over the campfire till done to desired level,,, peel off skin and eat around the bones, maybe sprinkling some seasoning or dipping into the hot sauce,,,, simple, fast, no mess, little clean up, and good eats,,,

they did the plaintain squirrels we shot (with a Lee Enfield SMLEs converted to .22 rimfire https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.2_and_.22RF_Mk.III.html) the same basic way,,,, ram a stick through them,,, singe the hair off on the flames,,, then slow roast like a very small pig,,,, they were good too,,,

sometimes we over complicate things that the 2nd and 3rd world folks have down to a science,,,,
I've done a few trout like this, on the creekbank (minus the guts) hard to beat

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
When I became a teenager somewhere around 11 or 12 one of my friends and myself had a couple of Bush craft survival books and really got into eating wild animals, birds,fish. If it would stay on a stick long enough to cook over a fire we ate it. Birds that eat fish are not very tasty