Not seeing much this split

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
In Piedmont, Morganton/Hickory area.
We were all geared up for a hunt this morning. Got to the boat ramp @ 5:40 and the water was so high, that the boat dock was bowed up, and the water was up in the boat ramp parking lot, about 30yds from the actual boat ramp.
We could easily see the current going under the bridge, and some white water, where it's usually calm.
USGS water data, @ the water gauge station about a couple miles up river, Normal river height at the Gauge is about 2.75" This morning @ 5:30 stated that the river level was at 8.35'. also on Friday at 6:30pm it was @ 13'.
It was supposed to be the maiden voyage for the 15' Gheenoe I just bought yesterday 'Used'. we were going to use a trolling motor.
However for safety's sake we canceled the hunt and went to breakfast instead.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I had heard there was a big impoundment sold for 3 million. Thats alot for a duck spot. There are way to many guides and way to many impoundments around the lake. My new hypothesis on one aspect that is hurting the hunting is the lack of grass in the lake. This is effecting how the birds are using the lake and surrounding areas as they HAVE to go to the impoundments to feed. In years prior they could loaf and feed on the lake on warmer days or any day really. Now there is no sustenance on the lake for them and since they have to feed on the impoundments all of the time it has changed how they use them. This is a small part among many parts but could be a factor. Just a thought.
As to ducks, there are a few birds around but this weather is terrible. I mean its really bad. Gonna try tomm and saturday. Hope we get some weather soon. Heard we should get a push of cold for the new year. We will see.

There is no doubt that the lack of grass is the demise of not only the lake but the whole area. It's kind of crazy how tye health of that lake affects such a huge area regarding waterfowl. That place is so dead. Used to he so full of grass and then one day the majority of it was gone and over the last 15 years what little bit that was left just dwindled away.......and away went the fish and ducks. It's dead and never coming back, just like Currituck.....

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Campbell creek hunt this morning and saw less than 20 total ducks all morning.

I live across the river from Campbell creek and I haven’t hunted there in 4 years. Would be an easy hunt, just a short boat ride but there are no birds. Now just lots of young idiots in aluminum Jon boats surrounding the impoundments and shooting every bufflehead in Beaufort county.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
You wouldn't believe how many folks come here and pay $200 to $250 per person/day to shoot them. No telling how much they spend on food, travel and a place to stay.

What cracks me up the most is the pile of bufflehead in a pic and $1,500 worth of calls on top of them.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
You wouldn't believe how many folks come here and pay $200 to $250 per person/day to shoot them. No telling how much they spend on food, travel and a place to stay.

What cracks me up the most is the pile of bufflehead in a pic and $1,500 worth of calls on top of them.

At least they are supplying a cash infusion to your local economy.... Better than tree huggers...

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer

I believe you. Same way here in Beaufort county. All these new guides popping up offering hunts here shooting buffleheads and ruddys advertising on Craigslist. Every year a new guide service. At least it supports our local economy.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hey,,,to some a duck is a duck,,,I've killed a butterball or three in my time,,,,heck even a ruddy once or thrice on fort bragg,,,,,

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Hunted pamlico point #3 this morning. Some shooting from the outside but only a little from the inside. I didn't even click the safety off once.

JD1107

Been out the past three mornings. Saturday we shot a 4 man limit of bluebills. Scouted a swamp Sunday and saw a good amount of woodies flying but not landing with a few big ducks mixed in. Decided to head back to where I was Saturday and had one bufflehead decoy. Complete night and day difference. Resting up tomorrow and enjoying Christmas with the family. Back at it Wednesday.

Merry Christmas and stay safe out there!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I live across the river from Campbell creek and I haven’t hunted there in 4 years. Would be an easy hunt, just a short boat ride but there are no birds. Now just lots of young idiots in aluminum Jon boats surrounding the impoundments and shooting every bufflehead in Beaufort county.

Sad but true is the statement . Same people, same results. And i’m around there often for various reasons.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Congratulations Matthews Archer, I know you earned those birds. Any left or is the full moon making things difficult?