North Toe River smallmouth tips?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Taking the family on one last camping trip Oct 26-29 before it's time to winterize. Heading to a small campground in Newland right on the North Toe River. I know there are trout, smallies, rock bass and sunfish in there. Any tips on what the smallies may be hitting this time of year? I will be bringing spinning gear and fly rod. Really hoping to get my daughter on some smallmouth, she caught one on the New River and thought it was the prettiest fish she had ever seen. Thanks for any advice.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Live soft shell crawfish if you can find some.

Other wise crawfish imitating soft plastics.

Good luck

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If using artificial would get some small rebel crawdad and rebel hellgrammites. They are mostly small there so small bait will allow her catch. Night crawlers pinched in half will do but they will of course often swallow. Little spinners as well

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Weather was rough Saturday. High winds and cold rain. I managed 2 trout and 1 smallmouth in some sporadic fishing when the rain would let up. I just hit the holes right at the campground.

Sunday, I headed to the delayed harvest section of the North Toe. Trout bite was hot. I hooked around 20 in two hours, landed about a dozen. Most were rainbows in 10-14" range. Did land one Brown about 20" and lost one very large brown. All were catch and release of course.

Reactions: CRC