North River Gamelands

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Based on what I'm reading in the regulations: the impoundment is permit only but outside of said impoundment it is open to hunting. Is my understanding correct?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sure.
Not sure. Call the warden. I read it game land north river. Yes the impoundments are designated.
Good question.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Easy way to tell, go see if there are any ducks.
If no ducks, no permit is needed and you can hunt it.
If there are ducks, a permit is needed, and since you don't have a permit you can't hunt it.
Shortcut - just go find a place with no ducks and you are good to hunt.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Easy way to tell, go see if there are any ducks.
If no ducks, no permit is needed and you can hunt it.
If there are ducks, a permit is needed, and since you don't have a permit you can't hunt it.
Shortcut - just go find a place with no ducks and you are good to hunt.

Unfortunately that's about the size of it.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Based on what I'm reading in the regulations: the impoundment is permit only but outside of said impoundment it is open to hunting. Is my understanding correct?
NCWRC regs: North River Game Land (7) – Camden and Currituck counties • The boundary of the game land shall extend five yards from the edge of the marsh or shoreline. • Hunting on the posted waterfowl impoundment is by permit only.

The regs generaly refer to the 'posted waterfowl impoundment' and areas outside of the posted signs and within the game lands are open to hunting. Need to pay attention to the game lands boundaries because some of that area is within Currituck, which has its own special regulations.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
NCWRC regs: North River Game Land (7) – Camden and Currituck counties • The boundary of the game land shall extend five yards from the edge of the marsh or shoreline. • Hunting on the posted waterfowl impoundment is by permit only.

The regs generaly refer to the 'posted waterfowl impoundment' and areas outside of the posted signs and within the game lands are open to hunting. Need to pay attention to the game lands boundaries because some of that area is within Currituck, which has its own special regulations.

I believe if you set up within 5 yards of the GL boundaries you don't have to have a blind permit. Of course providing that a float blind isn't already occupied within 500 yards. Lots of checking and double checking regulations.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
My take is this, right or wrong. If you are hunting game lands outside of the posted waterfowl impoundment, then you as a non guided person can hunt said game land. I would also say you could hunt from a boat blind so long as you were within that 5 yard distant to the shoreline because you are technically within the game land. Now, as far as Dare Co float blind regs go, I would not think they would apply since you are on “game lands”. In the other counties with the 500 yard Safety Rule, people hunt game lands well within that distance of other “private” blinds. PP would be a prime example.

As with any rule, I’d check with WRC for clarity. I’m guessing they give you the local warden’s contact info.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I believe if you set up within 5 yards of the GL boundaries you don't have to have a blind permit. Of course providing that a float blind isn't already occupied within 500 yards. Lots of checking and double checking regulations.
Agreed, my understanding is that you can hunt on the gamelands or from a boat. Hope so, cause that is how I've done it :rolleyes: .
The comment about being near Currituck is because they are a bit persnickety about their regs....

Gus

Six Pointer
You must stay within 5 yds of shore, you can't set up within 500yds of a licensed stationary blind (there are a few that were there before it became a gameland and were grandfathered), you can't set up within 500yds of a float blind that was already there and they can't set up within 500 if you were there first, on Currituck side. Be very careful that the gameland actually extends to the water-it doesn't in some places.
Having said all that it's pretty much been a waste of time when Ive hunted there.