North American Wetlands Conservation Act

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Read release online »
House passes bill to reauthorize NAWCA
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Nov. 20, 2019 – The House of Representatives recently passed a bipartisan bill that would reauthorize the North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) at $60 million a year until 2024. This legislation, H.R. 925, led by Representatives Mike Thompson (D-CA-05) and Rob Wittman (R-VA-01), is vitally important for the continuation of this grant-based wetlands conservation program. NAWCA is the nation’s most successful wetlands conservation program.
“We’d like to thank everyone who supported the passage of this vital piece of conservation legislation out of the House, especially Representatives Thompson and Wittman for sponsoring the bill,” said Ducks Unlimited CEO Adam Putnam. “NAWCA is a cornerstone program for DU’s conservation work across North America and its reauthorization would allow us to continue pivotal wetlands and waterfowl habitat improvements.”
NAWCA is a voluntary matching grant program that leverages non-federal and federal funds for on-the-ground wetland restoration efforts. Since enactment in 1989, NAWCA has conserved more than 30 million acres while also creating an average of 7,500 new jobs annually. Every dollar spent by the federal government, on average, receives a $3 match from program partners like Ducks Unlimited.
“Across our nation, wetlands are home to some of our most beautiful open spaces and an incredible variety of species and it’s critical to preserve these habitats. That’s why today I was proud to see the House pass my bill to reauthorize the North American Wetlands Conservation Act, a bill to conserve our wetlands, which will in turn safeguard our water supplies and protect against flooding,” said Rep. Mike Thompson. “We know that NAWCA investments work – over the past 30 years, $1.6 billion in Federal funding has been matched three to one. This investment has conserved nearly 30 million acres, which is a tremendous ecological and economic benefit for everyone. I will continue fighting to ensure this bill passes the Senate and becomes law.”
NAWCA partnership grants play an important role in meeting Ducks Unlimited’s mission, from restoring wetlands that have been altered and enhancing water availability, to reducing soil erosion and the likelihood of floods. In addition, many projects provide outstanding recreational opportunities, like hunting and bird watching.

“Washington should be doing more to identify those federal programs, like NAWCA, that have
proven to be successful,” said Rep. Rob Wittman. “The North American Wetlands Conservation
Act works to reduce wetlands disappearance and conserve migratory bird habitat; protecting,
restoring, and managing wetland habitats is important, and it is critical that we invest efficiently
to conserve these areas for the use and enjoyment of future generations. I want to thank Ducks
Unlimited for the important role they play in conserving migratory bird habitat. I am thrilled to
see this legislation pass the House today and hope for its quick consideration in the Senate.”
Ducks Unlimited looks forward to working with the Senate to see this important legislation through to final passage.
For more information, visit www.ducks.org/NAWCA, and be sure to Follow DU’s newest Twitter feed – @DUNews1937 – to get the most up-to-date news from Ducks Unlimited.
Ducks Unlimited Inc. is the world's largest nonprofit organization dedicated to conserving North America's continually disappearing waterfowl habitats. Established in 1937, Ducks Unlimited has conserved more than 14.5 million acres thanks to contributions from more than a million supporters across the continent. Guided by science and dedicated to program efficiency, DU works toward the vision of wetlands sufficient to fill the skies with waterfowl today, tomorrow and forever. For more information on our work, visit www.ducks.org.
Media Contact: Matt Coffey (901) 758-3764 mcoffey@ducks.org

shurshot

Ten Pointer
If reinstated, I certainly hope they’d prioritize Mattamuskeet and it’s watershed area numero uno for habitat restoration/improvement.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Agree that Lake needs some work but waterfowl numbers are good in that area. They are just not on the Lake. They are on private impoundments that are properly managed.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I agree with Roanoke. My friends with big impoundments on the "farm" have tons of ducks. The impoundments on the north side adjacent to the lake that were once highly productive are not right now. I watched one of my impoundments on Northlake road last night. It usually has thousands of ducks coming in late in the evening. It had about 50. It seems the birds are staying full time in the big impoundments and not using the lake much. at least the area adjacent to me. Phagmites is so thick that I cannot see the lake anymore to tell what is out there.

One more area where the appointees of Obama have had their impact on the lives of outdoor minded Americans. I would manage the place for free if we had access to resources to restore it.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
What has happened at Mattamuskeet (in my opinion) is criminal. Any other place, any other thing, if under federal control and private citizens rendered it destroyed as such... there would be arrests and charges levied. That is supposed to belong to the American people and has been basically turned into a wasteland by government employees. And nobody really cares. Normal citizens care. Hunters care. But, we don't count. Heads should be rolling, careers ruined, charges levied against the past and current management. Still talk. Still nothing. What a waste.
Sorry for the rant, guys. It's just a sad state of affairs and a waste of such a resource.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
What has happened at Mattamuskeet (in my opinion) is criminal. Any other place, any other thing, if under federal control and private citizens rendered it destroyed as such... there would be arrests and charges levied. That is supposed to belong to the American people and has been basically turned into a wasteland by government employees. And nobody really cares. Normal citizens care. Hunters care. But, we don't count. Heads should be rolling, careers ruined, charges levied against the past and current management. Still talk. Still nothing. What a waste.
Sorry for the rant, guys. It's just a sad state of affairs and a waste of such a resource.

I think it’s a combination of poor federal management, and poor management by adjoining landowners. A Pandora’s box.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, sir. You may be more right than me. It's just a shame.
If it was the White House lawn, it'd be fixed muy pronto.
This didn't happen overnight. It took idle hands watching it happen.
Such a loss...

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
The goal of the Mattamuskeet NWR is to provide high quality winter habitat for migrating waterfowl. The refuge manager, appointed by the Obama administration had no experience in managing a refuge. After Kelly Davis left, the biologist until last year had no real experience in waterfowl. As the experienced people retired they were not replaced. The shops used to maintain the pumps infrastructure and equipment went away. It has been implied and investigated that the refuge manager gave away about $300,00 worth of stainless steel. Contracts for dredging went to out of state companies that could not fulfill their contracts but were paid anyway. the list goes on and on.

The refuge management has known about the toxic bacteria affecting water celery for 10 years, same for carp. Nothing and I do mean nothing has been done about it. It has been studied to death but no tangible actions have been taken.

we can rest assured that the remaining staff has been well trained on transgender rights.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Well, there's some information that makes the whole picture a little worse.
Sad. Just sad.
Might have to take a couple extra sips tonight.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Hunted farm yesterday then drove through refuge. Good amount of birds around Lake and on refuge. With the amount of birds around now many of the impoundments will get eaten out by January. Just because you have birds does not mean you will kill them. One of the largest problems with impoundments around lake is that birds roost their, then fly to the middle of lake during day. Very hard to see the birds on the middle of lake.
Hyde County today is what Currituck County was like in the early 1900's. It draws an amazing amount of wealth and some of the operation budgets are astounding.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I think you’re right Clark, it’s all about that simple supply and demand model and the big money talks. What once was a place where I could go and simply ask a farmer for permission to hunt is no more because land owners have seen what others are willing to pay for their properties. It has also squeezed the hordes of public land hunters into fewer and fewer productive places to the point where it’s hard to get consistently good hunts. It’s pretty much becoming/become a rich man’s sport and I don’t see it getting any better, especially where there are any good concentrations of wintering birds. Programs such as NAWCA are so important to the recruitment and preservation of our ever dwindling wetlands.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Hunted farm yesterday then drove through refuge. Good amount of birds around Lake and on refuge. With the amount of birds around now many of the impoundments will get eaten out by January. Just because you have birds does not mean you will kill them. One of the largest problems with impoundments around lake is that birds roost their, then fly to the middle of lake during day. Very hard to see the birds on the middle of lake.
Hyde County today is what Currituck County was like in the early 1900's. It draws an amazing amount of wealth and some of the operation budgets are astounding.

This is a very accurate assessment.