North African Stew

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Another Hank Shaw recipe that he based on a stew from Tunisia in North Africa. He fixed it with venison; I used lamb. When I made it a couple nights ago, it was super hot in the spice department. After a few days, the spiciness mellowed out to something I liked better. Here is the recipe:

Here are my changes/substitutes:

Lamb instead of venison; I eyeballed it and used a small amount compared to what he calls for

We didn't have peas, so I threw in some fresh spinach instead

I skipped the tomato paste and chopped up a big heirloom tomato from a farm stand and tossed that in

I used 1/2 tablespoon of ground cayenne pepper instead of 2 tablespoons of harissa or ground chilis

I chopped up one banana pepper we got from the local farmers' market that I had air dried instead of the 2 Anaheim peppers

I squeezed some fresh lemon juice onto it instead of using the (optional) preserved lemons

Everything else was the same as in the recipe on the website. I also couldn't put the pot I fixed it in into our fridge, so I left it covered on the stove and just brought it to a boil each morning before eating it. It's been fine so far.

It's a good recipe for getting warm on a chilly winter day, but it was not one of my favorites. Maybe it would be outstanding with venison in deer camp? Not sure, but y'all can try it if you want to see if there's a difference.

Attachments

• 20210817_222239_HDR.jpg
    20210817_222239_HDR.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210817_222419.jpg
    20210817_222419.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 7

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
Looks great. I have made several of Hankā€™s recipes, but had not seen this one before. Thanks for sharing - I will give this a try soon.