No Till - Minimum Till Drill

Buttermilk Ranch

Button Buck
Does anyone has experience with the Kasco Valu-Drill? Or any other 3pt hitch drills? Looking to get away from disking and broadcasting seed. Mainly for soybeans/peas and wheat/oats rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Does anyone has experience with the Kasco Valu-Drill? Or any other 3pt hitch drills? Looking to get away from disking and broadcasting seed. Mainly for soybeans/peas and wheat/oats rotation.

What part of the state are you in? How many acres are you planting each year?

I have not run a Kasco personally, but one of my friends has a 6 ft Kasco 3 pt drill. His only has one seed box and from what I have see it may not plant soybeans deep enough.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Lots of no-till drills available for rent at soil and water districts up that way, depending on county. You can plant a lot of acres at $10 or $12 per acre compared to a buying one. Down side is you will need remote hydraulics hook-ups. Pretty sure Caswell has a small great plains, which can be adjusted to plant almost anything. Person and Rockingham have Tru-ax drills which will plant grains very well, but might only get peas/beans 1/2 deep.

Buttermilk Ranch

Button Buck
Yep that’s what I have run into as far as renting one. I don’t have remotes on my tractor. And I’m finding the 3pt hitch ones are pricey as well.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Most 3 point drills need a prepared seed bed to be effective. They do not have the weight to cut into unprepared ground and get larger seed covered.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
If you tell us what tractor you have, it will help steer you in the right direction. Adding Remotes is easy enough depending on your hydraulic capabilities. If you have a loader you can use that point and fabricate hoses. Tractor size and weight makes a big difference.

Great Plains 706NT takes a 55 hp tractor and the 1006NT takes a 75 hp tractor.

As far as rental rates go, it is $10-15 per acre. Most have a minimum charge per day $100-150 plus you cover transport costs. It is strongly suggested you carry insurance.

Last edited: