No fanning or reaping in SC WMAs starting this season- reminder

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’m just pointing out spring turkey hunting is straying from its “purist” roots of shotguns and calling

The hunt in the video took place in Florida

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The changes could not have been that unpopular, they were passed by the state legislature
you need to talk to a hunter crc. hell they aint popular with me. 1 bird in ten days? Nope I want that double anytime it is available.
$100 for tags- you have got to shiing me? Who wants that additional expense?
sometime legislatures listen to people that know ; not whiny self interest hunters. :)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago when I was new to turkey hunting I bought one of those pretty boy decoys. I put a real jake fan on it. One day after an uneventful morning hunt I went and got the decoy and set it up on an intersection of 3 roads that turkeys liked to frequent. I found a huge oak tree that had roots that mimicked my recliner at home. I sat down and ran a couple sequences of calls and before long I started to nod off. I sat my gun to the side and fell fast asleep. I don't know how long I was asleep but when I woke up there was 4 gobblers standing over the jake decoy. Now my gun is beside me and I have 4 longbeards standing less than 15 yards from me. They let me reach to my side, grab my gun shoulder it and turn my red dot on and they never looked at me. I shot one and racked another shell and killed the second one and could've killed all 4 if I would have had enough tags. In fact the other 2 didn't even want to run off when I stood up to get my birds. That "hunt " left me with an uneasy feeling and I vowed from that moment on I would never use a strutter or fan again. I also will never intentionally double anymore. It doesn't work on every gobbler but the ones it does work on are helpless to it. I'm not big on any new laws but sometimes we hunters are our own worst enemy and we need to self regulate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's not like I'm green to turkey hunting. I have over 30 years of experience hunting them and over 60 kills on video since 2005. I've seen the effectiveness of lots of different tactics. Just never had much luck "fanning". Only tried it about 5-6 times, so not a large sample size, but didn't have a good enough reaction for any of my hunters to shoot one.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
you need to talk to a hunter crc. hell they aint popular with me. 1 bird in ten days? Nope I want that double anytime it is available.
sometime legislatures listen to people that know ; not whiny self interest hunters. :)

I meant resident hunters who vote

They probably went along since non resident now pay 100 dollars for 2 tags

np307

Ten Pointer
Safety or survival motivated, I think this is a good move from SC. Reaping admittedly makes for some wild footage, but I'm reminded of what I heard someone say concerning decoys: "they make turkeys act different than how turkeys act." That's enough reason for me to continue enjoying the battle with lower success but more rewarding encounters.

Also, PSA that there's a way to make repetitive arguments disappear.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

I bet the residents pushed for that to stop the outfitters from hammering the birds so hard. Easier to book more hunts with a 2 bird limit IMO.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I bet the residents pushed for that to stop the outfitters from hammering the birds so hard. Easier to book more hunts with a 2 bird limit IMO.
I was wondering how business is now that they have to wait essentially 9 days to start a 2 bird hunt. I wonder if they doing any discount 1 bird hunts them first 9 days.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any of you guys ever tried it? I've tried it a few times with some friends and it hasn't worked a single time for us. Maybe it's just me, but most of them seem scared to death...
I have never tried it, isn't my thing. Before it was ever the craze, probably 10 years or more ago a buddy from SC, Woodmoose knows exactly who I am talking about saw one in a field strutting. He had a fan in his truck that had dried and he got out of the truck and put it up in front of him. He called that thing up to him and caught it right beside the road with his buddy filming the whole thing on an Iphone. And he got a torn up hand for his efforts.

So yes, I would say with the right turkey I would say it is quite effective. But I don't even use a decoy, so it isn't my cup of tea.

Excursion

Ten Pointer
I have fanned twice and both times the birds ran directly to me. Once I was the shooter and shot him at 15 yds. 2nd time I fanned I had 3 come running. 1 got shot other 2 jumped on him then came at me I thought they were going to jump on me... they were within 2 feet and gobbling. I debated jumping up but laid still fan down and they eased away. Crazy easy and will never do it again. It aint hunting in my book. But that's my opinion and that's all that matters to me.