No. 1

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
what's the recoil like on those guns? Especially in that 270.
I’ve only shot Winchester superX 150 PP bullets through it so far. Not bad at all, but that’s subjective. I find 150grain charges in a muzzleloader unpleasant after several shots. My 45-70s thump pretty good but manageable for a box or two. I never minded shooting my .300WM for a box or so.
I was shooting a M70 7mm-08 today as well. They were comparable. The Ruger was a little snappier, but not any harder. It just felt like a quicker recoil through the scope.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve only shot Winchester superX 150 PP bullets through it so far. Not bad at all, but that’s subjective. I find 150grain charges in a muzzleloader unpleasant after several shots. My 45-70s thump pretty good but manageable for a box or two. I never minded shooting my .300WM for a box or so.
I was shooting a M70 7mm-08 today as well. They were comparable. The Ruger was a little snappier, but not any harder. It just felt like a quicker recoil through the scope.
the only 270 that I've shot was snappy. A lot more snappy than my 06, but not as snappy as my 7mag.
my buddy says that the bigger bullets are more push than the littler bullets.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
That’s about a half a box to get it sighted in and I only shot one group for keeps. I’m excited to take it out and shoot when I have more time and try some different loads too. But I still have a few rounds left for burger and shanks if I don’t get a chance.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I'm going to say this:

If you all keep posting these No. 1's, I'm going to end up having to buy one to cure the itch.
Iff’in ya do, the scope issue is a real thing. I just fretted over it enough before hand that it turned out that I got the right scope. If you just toss any scope on it, you may have to turtle neck way forward to get a sight picture. My scope has a long rear end decent eye relief.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I held this one at the store a couple times and walked away from it for a couple weeks just cause it was a .270. I just didn’t want to get into a new caliber and buy dies and all that crap. I think I like it though.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Iff’in ya do, the scope issue is a real thing. I just fretted over it enough before hand that it turned out that I got the right scope. If you just toss any scope on it, you may have to turtle neck way forward to get a sight picture. My scope has a long rear end decent eye relief.
Ruger makes offset rings if need be.

I’ve found that the Leupold 6x42mm fixed power USUALLY doesn’t require the offset rings.

I’ve got a Leupold VariX iii 1.75-6x32 on one that didn’t require the use of the offset ring either.

In any event, that’s a fine looking setup @7mm-08

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 18

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Rugers look better. I couldn’t find any in stock, online. I never contacted Ruger directly, but didn’t see them on the website. It also looked like this may offset a little farther since the adapter set back 3/4” and then the off set rings kicked back even farther. There is also a replacement 1/4 rib that’s a little cleaner than what I got there, but luckily the standard rings and that Burris worked out great.
This is a little cleaner than the weaver saddle rail.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hadn’t checked with Ruger lately, I’ve got 3 or 4 stockpiled. I’ve only got one that I’ve had to use the offset with, and it’s actually a No.3. It wears a Leupold Vari Xiii 2.5-8x36. I couldn’t quite get the right eye relief without it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You need a bigger bullet!

Something in line of a No1 T 416
I have had my beating ready to move it along.

Nice gun. For me I have always like the looks of the fixed sight models, I think the slick barrels kind of take away from the history behind the gun. Kind of like the SS No1, looks like a Corvette with mud tires.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Several friends shoot the Spencer, I like the Henry for a repeater.
Spencer is nice just a little harder to reload for.
My sharps is a paper cartridge sharps.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I hate that tube on a Henry. I like it on my .22, but it’s what turns me away from an otherwise attractive rifle for a large caliber rifle. Why, when they finally went to a gate, did they keep that sh!++y looking tube feed? That’s really the only thing I have against them. I’ve seen a few that I really liked. As soon as I see the bottom of the tube, I’m like, nope! I don’t know why. At least cerakote it black.no offense intended.
Perhaps you are talking about an actual Henry Rifle though.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have long thought the No1 was the most beautiful gun out there.
I was going to buy the varmit model in 25-06 but changed my mind at the last minute and bought a Remington Sendero......I still regret it.