Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6?

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Might as well make another truck thread. It’s always informative

I’m looking at a used 2019 frontier with 10k miles , good price and I may trade in a 2014 Kia Sportage on it,

It has the 4.0 engine , Any reviews from y’all?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had a buddy that had an older one and he loved it. It was maybe a 2008 or 2009.

I was not a fan, but I’m a larger fellow.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have the same truck with the same amount of miles. It has been good so far. It doesnt have a lot of the tech that new cars and truck have. I am pretty tall and i wouldnt want to ride for a long time in the back seat. Had to put the baby seat in the middle to make room for the front seat passenger. But i guess that is expected with most mid size.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got the same truck in 2011 edition and love it. Get 22 mpg on road trips, carry my canoe on top, pull jon boat, haul wood. I'm a pretty big guy and it is comfortable for me. But mainly it is my surf fishing vehicle, and it does great on the beach. You just have to turn the VDC computer OFF so the sand does not confuse it. Part of the success is due IMO to the 4.0, better than the competition's 3.6 when it comes to the beach.

413906020.jpg

411693355.jpg

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
My dad has one and likes it, with that said have you looked at the ones with the new engine and transmission?
You could always test one out and if you like it wait a little while and find a deal on a used one.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
View attachment 45478I have had several, my current my hunting rig. I like them, oh yeah and out of all of them I damn sure haven't gotten 22 MPG out of any of them.
Probably an air foil issue since the front of yours appears to be raised. Ever drive it on road trips? Keep it under 65 mph and at about 2K rpm and you will should get good mileage. Last trip for me from NC to PA I got 22.7. If I put stuff on the roof, or don't have the bed cover on, it drops. Yours is a nice looking truck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Probably an air foil issue since the front of yours appears to be raised. Ever drive it on road trips? Keep it under 65 mph and at about 2K rpm and you will should get good mileage. Last trip for me from NC to PA I got 22.7. If I put stuff on the roof, or don't have the bed cover on, it drops. Yours is a nice looking truck.
I have had 3 with the 4.0. I seldom ever drive over the speed limit. That is the only one that has a leveling kit on it. The rest has been dead stock. All have got around 18-19 on a trip 15-16 around here. This one is turning about 1750 RPMs @ 65 The others were straight drive and geared a little lower, I figured it would get better mileage but it actually gets the worst. The other two were turning about 2K at 65.

Disclaimer: That leveling kit and bigger tires are part of that NISMO option, all factory stuff.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I have a 2015. It has over 114,000 mile on it and I love it. No issues with it other than when I get the tires rotated they usually break a lug and then they have to fix it so it take a little time. Other than that will carry me and my dogs to any quail cover that I need to get to.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...This one is turning about 1750 RPMs @ 65 The others were straight drive and geared a little lower, I figured it would get better mileage but it actually gets the worst. The other two were turning about 2K at 65.
At 2K rpm mine is running 62 mph. I would be disappointed if it was getting your gas mileage. And that front air foil on yours does appear to be missing.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
My dads Frontiers averages 16-17 mpg....if your getting 22 thats great. Is yours 4whl drive?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have had 3 with the 4.0. I seldom ever drive over the speed limit. That is the only one that has a leveling kit on it. The rest has been dead stock. All have got around 18-19 on a trip 15-16 around here. This one is turning about 1750 RPMs @ 65 The others were straight drive and geared a little lower, I figured it would get better mileage but it actually gets the worst. The other two were turning about 2K at 65.

Disclaimer: That leveling kit and bigger tires are part of that NISMO option, all factory stuff.
Never broke it in right. Try to bust it and get the carbon off the plugs old man

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
At 2K rpm mine is running 62 mph. I would be disappointed if it was getting your gas mileage. And that front air foil on yours does appear to be missing.
It is on there, the NISMO models don't have them that drape down in front of the tires. They are shorter.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never broke it in right. Try to bust it and get the carbon off the plugs old man
Oh it gets the carbon blown out of it from Oct to Jan when I am trying to get in front of the dogs, the rest of the time I just poke around. The funny thing is I get considerably better with my Dodge than most.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My dads Frontiers averages 16-17 mpg....if your getting 22 thats great. Is yours 4whl drive?
Yep 4wd, am at the beach with it right now. Trip down was 195 miles and got 17.6 fully loaded, pulling the boat, and with 12 rods on top. If not pulling the boat I would get between 20 and 20.5 on the way here. Including driving on the beach a typical total trip (w/o the boat) of 450 to 600 miles would average 18.0 to 19.0. I keep records of every trip.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It is on there, the NISMO models don't have them that drape down in front of the tires. They are shorter.
Last year I considered raising mine 3" in the front to add a receiver hitch, but would have had to remove the air deflector, and both of those would have cost me mileage, so decided not to.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year I considered raising mine 3" in the front to add a receiver hitch, but would have had to remove the air deflector, and both of those would have cost me mileage, so decided not to.
You sure you couldn't just slot the deflector for the receiver part of the hitch? I do metal fab and have put a couple on and that was all I had to do. But that wasn't factory hitches.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
45485Bought my 2016 lifted, has the equivalent to 33" x 11.50" tires on it. It is a crew cab with short wheel base. Bought it to be a hunting truck one day. It is my every other few weeks vehicle now. Gives my 2008 Tundra a break. Crazy thing is I get better every day driving mileage with the 5.7 in the double cab Tundra. Well, they are both around 15 mpg. I pull my 1756 Express, flat bottom and get 15 with the Tundra and 13 with the Frontier. I get 19 mpg with the Frontier on long trips if keep it under 2000 rpm which is about 63 mph. Same with the boat behind it. Tundra still gets 15 mpg with the boat attached. I got mine at a good deal, can buy lots of fuel for what I saved. From 2005-2010 radiator issues can cause trans fluid to mix with coolant. Only certain radiators plenty of info on the web if you need to know which ones. Other than that the trucks are solid. Other than fuel mileage I like mine, had it for 2 years now. Have a bumper to bumper warranty 100000 miles or Nov. 2022. I have put 20,000 miles on it to end up with nearly 60,000, at this time. I think it is one of the better trucks for the money and is why I bought mine.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is my point, my 6.4 dodge 2500 gets better mileage than mine. But it sure don't get around in the sand and tight places as well. LOL

Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
That's a nice looking truck DRS

Thanks! That was when I first got it. It caught my eye, too. LOL It still looks good, minus a ding or 2. Starting to use it more and more. That's probably ain't a good thing.😮

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank you for the responses , nice looking trucks y’all have

I like the looks of these, the fact that they actually don’t have as many fancy features (I like simplicity and reliability )

I’m gonna try to strike a deal on this one , regardless if I can’t with this one I’m leaning heavy toward a frontier as our next truck

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As you can tell even thought I am not enthused with the fuel mileage I like the truck. Not just Frontiers, I have had about 8-9 Nissan trucks over the years and they all served me well.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The fuel mileage isn’t a huge issue, honestly 15-20 meets my expectations for any 4x4 pickup....

I have a 99 ranger that still will get around 25 on the highway if I stay out of too many hills/mountains ,(2.5 4cyl Lima) the 2.3 and 2.5 Lima engines in the rangers were bulletproof and don’t understand why they (all manufacturers) stop making proven engines

I always heard the old Nissan pickups were really reliable , just didn’t know about these newer ones

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The fuel mileage isn’t a huge issue, honestly 15-20 meets my expectations for any 4x4 pickup....

I have a 99 ranger that still will get around 25 on the highway if I stay out of too many hills/mountains ,(2.5 4cyl Lima) the 2.3 and 2.5 Lima engines in the rangers were bulletproof and don’t understand why they (all manufacturers) stop making proven engines

I always heard the old Nissan pickups were really reliable , just didn’t know about these newer ones

The newer Frontiers are pretty much the same Frontier from 2006. Nissan hasn't changed them, except for the 2020 MY. Nissan put the new engine that's going into the new body style for the 2021 MY. Outside of that, it's been mainly cosmetic changes and the same powertrain for almost 14 years. Nissan and Toyota are very similar in regard to not changing the format. My .02... on the one hand, if you're ok with an older body style, especially interior, then you have a truck that has a proven powertrain and a large selection of parts and aftermarket supplies. On the other hand, if you like having the greatest and latest technology, then you'll want to look elsewhere. I've never met someone who had problems with the Frontier.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The newer Frontiers are pretty much the same Frontier from 2006. Nissan hasn't changed them, except for the 2020 MY. Nissan put the new engine that's going into the new body style for the 2021 MY. Outside of that, it's been mainly cosmetic changes and the same powertrain for almost 14 years. Nissan and Toyota are very similar in regard to not changing the format. My .02... on the one hand, if you're ok with an older body style, especially interior, then you have a truck that has a proven powertrain and a large selection of parts and aftermarket supplies. On the other hand, if you like having the greatest and latest technology, then you'll want to look elsewhere. I've never met someone who had problems with the Frontier.
Yeah, they are very similar since 05 as witnessed by the fact that is exactly what year mine is.

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
Mine is a little loud, I would say (exhaust). Great riding with the window down (no flutter or noise). Drives great on the interstate. Gas mileage not great. But I like it a lot.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine is a little loud, I would say (exhaust). Great riding with the window down (no flutter or noise). Drives great on the interstate. Gas mileage not great. But I like it a lot.
They are louder than normal, the first thing I did when I got mine was put a quieter muffler on it. Pretty sure mine came from the factory with a turbo type as part of the off road package.