Night Scope

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Somebody want to loan out a thermal scope to me? 😁

I stumbled upon a yote near a calf today. Before I could get back with a gun it was gone.

I've shot a few at night but those were opportunistic because I caught them in headlights when driving my land. I don't really want to buy a night scope right now but it looks like I'm going to. My fall calving season is getting underway so I need to nip this in the bud.

200 yard range is what I'm looking for. What's reliable and inexpensive?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
In thermal, absolutely NOTHING within those two parameters.

I know that, that's why I asked for a loaner.

I've seen some cheap thermals but I'm leery. I understand I might have to settle for not Infrared.

Last edited:

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
My Sightmark Wraith IR ($500) on top of a PSA 300BO AR15 will shoot 200yds without issues. Its not nearly as nice as my buddies themal but for 1/10 the investment it works great for me. I have a Coyote Reaper XXL illuminator also that I have used but it is big and bulky hanging off the top of the rifle. The bottom pic is 160 yds with the small illuminator.20191230_204433.jpg20191230_202427.jpg20191230_204127.jpg

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've narrowed down the ATN 4K Pro and the Wraith. I've read the reviews and noted some issues folks had. One was the ATN if bumped can freeze the screen. The Wraith went dead fast with batteries. One review said Wraith is marginally clearer except video, not an issue. ATN has more focal adjustments.

@Infamous1 How is the focus when zooming?

Size and weight is not a factor as I'm not humping it long distances. Setup will probably be an mlok 556, I know loud but I've never got into the blackout game and now certainly is not the time.

mdunker

Ten Pointer
If you buy one get a Pulsar. Best customer service by far. One of the night vision companies also rents them.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
If you buy one get a Pulsar. Best customer service by far. One of the night vision companies also rents them.

Digex or Digisight? Battery runtime?

The price point is a bit higher than I want to go right now but not out of the realm of possibility. I won't be able to spend more than that though.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
It does get a bit grainy the higher you go in magnification but not terrible. The battery life is around 8 hours with the lithium batteries and it does have an instant on feature for when you are setting up or scanning. They offer a stock battery pack that plugs in to the scope for super long run time but I have seen no need for it. I doo keep a spare set of batteries in my case though. I bought from Fox Optics and they had the best prices and offered a package deal with batteries, charger and a scope cover. Great customer service and super fast shipping.
20200419_073206.jpg1596375068305-1837516161.jpg

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I've narrowed down the ATN 4K Pro and the Wraith. I've read the reviews and noted some issues folks had. One was the ATN if bumped can freeze the screen. The Wraith went dead fast with batteries. One review said Wraith is marginally clearer except video, not an issue. ATN has more focal adjustments.

@Infamous1 How is the focus when zooming?

Size and weight is not a factor as I'm not humping it long distances. Setup will probably be an mlok 556, I know loud but I've never got into the blackout game and now certainly is not the time.

You can likely write it off on your taxes if your principal use is for protecting your herd (i.e., farm related). Might make the price tag a little less painful. Good luck which ever way you go!

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Somebody want to loan out a thermal scope to me? 😁

I stumbled upon a yote near a calf today. Before I could get back with a gun it was gone.

I've shot a few at night but those were opportunistic because I caught them in headlights when driving my land. I don't really want to buy a night scope right now but it looks like I'm going to. My fall calving season is getting underway so I need to nip this in the bud.

200 yard range is what I'm looking for. What's reliable and inexpensive?
Where do you live in NC?