Night hunt

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
So, im looking at getting a night scope. Im half settled on ATN Thor LT 320 5-10x. Ive been reading around on google but i figured id ask here too. Any reason i shouldnt buy this one? Vs an ir scope. May see some day use but will spend most nights popping hogs on a 450 bushmaster. Should i spend more elsewhere? Really trying to stay under $2000

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
So, im looking at getting a night scope. Im half settled on ATN Thor LT 320 5-10x. Ive been reading around on google but i figured id ask here too. Any reason i shouldnt buy this one? Vs an ir scope. May see some day use but will spend most nights popping hogs on a 450 bushmaster. Should i spend more elsewhere? Really trying to stay under $2000
Are you asking if the ATN is good enough to get by, or better than a thermal? I'd lean towards thermal if I were you. Add about $700 to your budget and don't look back. Otherwise, you will probably be upgrading soon. Especially if you look through a thermal.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Tagging. Very curious about illuminator vs IR…?
An illuminator is a light that I sit on a tripod right next to me and it's used to sweep the field for either eyes, or all of the animal, depending on the range to the animal. Mine is green but they also come in red. it seems coyotes have gotten wise to the red and It probably won't be long until they wise up to the green, but it also depends on how hard they are hunted.
The Yotes where I hunt aren't pressured at all and will usually just sit down and stare at the green beam. At least long enough for me to find them in the scope and get a shot off. Every once in a great while I'll get a dog strolling through but if you pay attention their safe since their eyes are a different color and appearance.
IR scopes work sort of like a Thermal and their price tag is very close behind a thermal so I stick to my fixed power (30) Leopold since I also take my rifle to the western states for other game. Having to sight in multiple scopes just runs more bullets down the barrel and their lifespan is limited as it is. My Rem 22-250 has maybe one more season left in it and then it's dole out another 500 to 750.00 for a new barrel that will need replacing in maybe 4 years at the rate I shoot it....

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
agree with previous comments. spend a little more and i would stay away from ATN. heard lots of bad stories about scope issues and horrible customer service. Also would recommend 384 resolution minimum for a decent thermal. I would look at the pulsar talion XQ38 or the AGM rattler ts35-384 in the $2,500 price range. bering optics hogster is in that range as well. definitely get what you pay for and if you end up starting with something cheaper then you lose money when its time to upgrade. night hunting is extremely addicting and expensive haha