Nice opener

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well last season was a absolute mess between covid my days off got screwed and myself messing things up was first time in over 20 years not laying hands on a bird getting back to normal was much needed can't say that enough. Set up camp in Pisgah Fri then I was just about hit sack my bro in law decides he doesn't have tags I'm just asking who in hades doesn't check this stuff out before Friday. So only thing can do call local Walmart and said as long as get there by 10 they'd print them so off we go got there by 9 by time get back it's close 11 I have 0230 alarm very long walk in but I've hunted tired before. So off go in calling for wet day so no vest just few calls and gun like go light on rainy days get in early and good thing I walked literally right under birds. Took quick nap then light just stared creep in foggy and bird gobbled before 0630 and never stops till he came out tree right at 0650 which surprised me with fog over next 15 minutes was one hen after another sailing down over my head or across from me i think was 8 in all most went over to point he was on couple landed just below me then they all grouped up on that little finger ridge next hour and half was something. They fed all around me I had hens as close as 15 yards often had bead on gobbler no less than 6 times with no clear shot due to a hen or 2 would constantly be to close. They fed there almost made complete circle around me from where they were down in hollar and over to me starting drift up mtn in laurel thought for sure it was over then for whatever reason after hens dipped back in hollar he stayed high and didn't follow after he cleared some laurel had clean 35ish yard shot. The shot was more of a relief than anything by that time staying still I was numb from waist down had get feeling back in the legs before could go pick him up. There isn't much more I love in this world than opening day turkey season and turkey camp and glad be blessed with good one and not million hikers, dog walkers, bikers like last year beautiful day to be out. Ended up coming home late yesterday bro in law had all rain he wanted so head back up in few hours. Tried get that dogwood in background but didn't show to well blooming dogwood sure sign it's time turkey hunt.

Attachments

• 20210410_090636.jpg
    20210410_090636.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210410_075731.jpg
    20210410_075731.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210410_074101.jpg
    20210410_074101.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 20