Newbie who is stumped

I am relatively new to turkey hunting. Started 4 or 5 years ago, initially going out to Ok to hunt with my cousin. Hunting here in NC really started about 3 years ago.

First let me say thank you for any responses or help. I AM NEITHER looking for freebies or drive by advice. I really want to become a great turkey hunter and I am willing to travel whatever road I must.

I primarily hunt public lands. To date mainly Uwharrie. I know I can go closer to the coast and its probably easier to find and kill one, but that would limit my hunting as I am in the piedmont area - and its about a 2 hour drive. I really want to learn how to kill one in the diverse topology and environment that a land like Uwharrie represents. I know if I can kill them there, I can go to anywhere and kill em.

I don't have any access to private lands.

I also know I can buy a turkey hunt - but to me that is no different than buying a turkey in the grocery store (or raising them myself).

Finding sign is not hard for me. Whatever species I hunt I generally can find signs. Preseason I had scouted and found Place 1 that had turkeys in it. I saw about 10 and a solid tom was in them. Place 2 I didn't see turkeys but saw a lot of sign.

Opening day, I sat up in Place 1 where I was sure they would be and didn't hear or see diddly. Nada, nothing. In fact its a mile plus rugged hike in so I packed in and tarp camped the night before.

Place 2 had been totally burned and 1/3 logged (huge parcel) in the 2-3 weeks since I scouted it. After half a day in Place 1 I went there to find Apocalypse now looking turkey hunting ville. The amount of logging has probably hurt my chances in the part that has been logged. Just too much activity and hens are not gonna nest there now. The burning I know affects them for a week or so, but I should still have a chance.

I also know in Uwharrie it seems you don't see gaggles of turkeys like you might in Ok, or the coast. If you see 10 turkeys you have seen a massive group. Mostly you see small (2-5) hens and toms mostly in solo to 3. You just don't see big groups.

Given the above, I also don't hear as much gobbling as I have in Ok and other places. Toms being spread out they seem to gobble when they want.

I also understand from studies on Southern turkeys toms seem to like old pine for roosting.

Thus to my questions and need...

Its a typical Uwharrie parcel. Some hills, some water (creeks and rivers), some old hardwood, some old pines, some new pines, some new overgrowth... A total mix. But there are not much big ag fields around.

1. What should I focus on in terms of the best places to find them and set up on them? Water? Transitions? Fields?
2. Not seeing big groups whats the best strategy for calling. Do you set up and hen call, gobble, what? And how long before you move on barring the sparse distributions?

These two questions aside any insight that may help me is also welcomed.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1. You can't make a turkey do anything he isn't already going to do...period
2. If you've got sign, and it's Springtime, eventually that turkey is going to look for love and do what turkeys do, you've just got to be there when he does it.
3. It sounds like you have the scouting down, turkeys aren't going anywhere unless there's lots of pressure so I'd hang out where you've found them. To hunt them you have to be able to see them within range, but remember they see much better than you so don't set up in an open burn and expect them to stroll right to you unless you're in a tent blind.
4. Calling is the least important but most fun part of turkey hunting, however it's also the most overdone part IMHO. Watch wild turkeys, try to imitate their mannerisms when you call. Every once in awhile you'll get a hot hen who just won't shut up but most of their calls are soft and infrequent. Stick with soft and infrequent and you'll be more consistent but don't be afraid to mix it up if they aren't responding to the soft calls. A few cuts and cackles never hurt when a bird isn't responding, just don't go crazy with it.
5. Turkey hunting is a game of highs and lows for sure, and there will be more times when they don't gobble, don't respond and try their best to drive you nuts than times when they come in on a string to your professionally done calls.
6. Have fun, it's supposed to be enjoyable. Find a mentor who'll show you the ropes if you're unsure of something, lots of guys out there who'd love to have the chance to prove themselves against those mighty gobblers and help a newbie out in the process.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When in doubt or unsure focus on water. Turkeys like to roost over water and they also use stream beds as a super highway.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The best education is the one you earn yourself. It almost always comes with hard work and lots of failure. If you can find an experienced hunter to tag along with, I would do it. If you want to be the best hunter you can be, don't be pigeon holed into learning one tactic to kill stuff. Learn them all, and I promise you that there will be no situation available where you can't get it done.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Step 1 is to forget most everything you learned in Oklahoma, that’s a whole different ball game.

Get high. Strategically high, where you can put your ears on multiple areas that may/do hold turkeys, then go from there. That’s the beauty of turkey hunting, if he’s in the mood to die, he will tell you where he’s at.

Get as close as possible, then do your best to shoot him in the face. There are lots of ways to do that, and all of them will work, and not work, at the same time.

The best advice I can give is this....get inside the bubble...

Last edited:

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
2. If you've got sign, and it's Springtime, eventually that turkey is going to look for love and do what turkeys do, you've just got to be there when he does it.
3. It sounds like you have the scouting down, turkeys aren't going anywhere unless there's lots of pressure so I'd hang out where you've found them. To hunt them you have to be able to see them within range, but remember they see much better than you so don't set up in an open burn and expect them to stroll right to you unless you're in a tent blind.
4. Calling is the least important but most fun part of turkey hunting, however it's also the most overdone part IMHO. Watch wild turkeys, try to imitate their mannerisms when you call. Every once in awhile you'll get a hot hen who just won't shut up but most of their calls are soft and infrequent. Stick with soft and infrequent and you'll be more consistent but don't be afraid to mix it up if they aren't responding to the soft calls. A few cuts and cackles never hurt when a bird isn't responding, just don't go crazy with it.
5. Turkey hunting is a game of highs and lows for sure, and there will be more times when they don't gobble, don't respond and try their best to drive you nuts than times when they come in on a string to your professionally done calls.
6. Have fun, it's supposed to be enjoyable. Find a mentor who'll show you the ropes if you're unsure of something, lots of guys out there who'd love to have the chance to prove themselves against those mighty gobblers and help a newbie out in the process.

Original poster....
Read this, re read it, print it and read it daily.
He nailed it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Read the daily reports and other threads. Don’t just look at pics of dead turkeys.
there’s a lot there if you pay attention.

GUP

Eight Pointer

Take a moment to watch this 6 minute video. I’m sure this age group he’s talking about doesn’t apply to you but the info is worth it.
As others have said. You’re going to make mistakes. Those are the best lessons. Also pay close attention to what he does at the very end of the video with the decoys. I highly recommend this as well.
good luck

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You already have the right attitude. I had no one to teach me back in '91, so I read books & magazines, listened to cassette tapes w/ advice & turkey calling & watched VHS tapes mostly w/ hunts. It is not a science & like mentioned before just have fun & observe. Yes, Uwharrie is a tuff, tuff, tuff place to hunt, but also a great training ground. I was fortunate in that I hunted in a place w/ lots of Turkeys & no competition. Continue to burn leather, persevere & dont get discouraged. Good luck I am sure you will connect.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I personally love Tom Kelly's advice on decoys & would advise a new hunter to take that same advice concerning field hunting & ground blinds. I am just an Old School F... though, so do whatever is legal & fun to you in order to kill your bird.

Thank you for this...

The place I "saw" turkeys I spent an evening (before season opener) and the next morning til 12 sitting, watching, calling... Nothing. Before daylight I shock called a few times to see if I could get a gobble on roost. Nothing. I know I saw them 2-3 weeks ago, and I know I jumped one tom and saw him fly up.

What do you do when they disappear. Hang tight? I have been told that you gotta hunt where the turkeys are. I guess I wonder if they are there.

Take a moment to watch this 6 minute video. I’m sure this age group he’s talking about doesn’t apply to you but the info is worth it.
As others have said. You’re going to make mistakes. Those are the best lessons. Also pay close attention to what he does at the very end of the video with the decoys. I highly recommend this as well.
good luck
Great video. I glad you sent it. I am glad to hear his opinion on decoys. I was about at the same place with them.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What do you do when they disappear. Hang tight?

Absolutely not...if I didn't roost a bird and don't know that he's there, if he doesn't gobble in the morning I assume he's not there and head off somewhere else.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
Absolutely not...if I didn't roost a bird and don't know that he's there, if he doesn't gobble in the morning I assume he's not there and head off somewhere else.
I have very little experience, less than the person who started this post, however, I have had several toms not gobble until they are on the ground for bout 30 minutes. Judging from your profile picture, you have killed at least one more turkey than me, but still, I wouldn't completely abandon a spot that I know has turkeys in the area just because they aren't gobbling. Unless there are other birds who are.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have very little experience, less than the person who started this post, however, I have had several toms not gobble until they are on the ground for bout 30 minutes. Judging from your profile picture, you have killed at least one more turkey than me, but still, I wouldn't completely abandon a spot that I know has turkeys in the area just because they aren't gobbling. Unless there are other birds who are.
I wouldn't abandon the spot at all, I'd return later in the morning to see if they'd started gobbling. I would however leave if they aren't gobbling early AM and try to find a bird that is.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Be in the woods and fields hunting every minute you can. Call a little , try different calls ,different places , different times of day (but don't be late for day light.) When you hear a gobbler go to him with the intent of killing him (sometimes you have to be aggressive sometime very patient ). If you put yourself near him or him close to you enough times he will make a mistake and you likely will have made a bunch . Your ability to learn from your mistakes will be the difference in you being a great turkey hunter or not.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some good advice so far but with turkeys understand that they are not always in the same place as they were yesterday. A gobbler might home in on a certain clearing where he likes to strut but with woods birds I've seen them stay gone for days and then come back again. This is sort of how it might be when you see a gobbler, then try hunting him where you saw him with no luck at all. Patience is sometimes the main difference in killing a gobbler or not killing one. Often the woods might seem empty of birds in the early morning and you think nothing is there today.... then 3 or 4 hours later you are hauling him home with you. Good luck with the birds and remember to ENJOY.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I am relatively new to turkey hunting. Started 4 or 5 years ago, initially going out to Ok to hunt with my cousin. Hunting here in NC really started about 3 years ago.

First let me say thank you for any responses or help. I AM NEITHER looking for freebies or drive by advice. I really want to become a great turkey hunter and I am willing to travel whatever road I must.

I primarily hunt public lands. To date mainly Uwharrie. I know I can go closer to the coast and its probably easier to find and kill one, but that would limit my hunting as I am in the piedmont area - and its about a 2 hour drive. I really want to learn how to kill one in the diverse topology and environment that a land like Uwharrie represents. I know if I can kill them there, I can go to anywhere and kill em.

I don't have any access to private lands.

I also know I can buy a turkey hunt - but to me that is no different than buying a turkey in the grocery store (or raising them myself).

Finding sign is not hard for me. Whatever species I hunt I generally can find signs. Preseason I had scouted and found Place 1 that had turkeys in it. I saw about 10 and a solid tom was in them. Place 2 I didn't see turkeys but saw a lot of sign.

Opening day, I sat up in Place 1 where I was sure they would be and didn't hear or see diddly. Nada, nothing. In fact its a mile plus rugged hike in so I packed in and tarp camped the night before.

Place 2 had been totally burned and 1/3 logged (huge parcel) in the 2-3 weeks since I scouted it. After half a day in Place 1 I went there to find Apocalypse now looking turkey hunting ville. The amount of logging has probably hurt my chances in the part that has been logged. Just too much activity and hens are not gonna nest there now. The burning I know affects them for a week or so, but I should still have a chance.

I also know in Uwharrie it seems you don't see gaggles of turkeys like you might in Ok, or the coast. If you see 10 turkeys you have seen a massive group. Mostly you see small (2-5) hens and toms mostly in solo to 3. You just don't see big groups.

Given the above, I also don't hear as much gobbling as I have in Ok and other places. Toms being spread out they seem to gobble when they want.

I also understand from studies on Southern turkeys toms seem to like old pine for roosting.

Thus to my questions and need...

Its a typical Uwharrie parcel. Some hills, some water (creeks and rivers), some old hardwood, some old pines, some new pines, some new overgrowth... A total mix. But there are not much big ag fields around.

1. What should I focus on in terms of the best places to find them and set up on them? Water? Transitions? Fields?
2. Not seeing big groups whats the best strategy for calling. Do you set up and hen call, gobble, what? And how long before you move on barring the sparse distributions?

stay on the little river watershed.
hunt near openings /Fields/pastures private or public.
IF you kill them in the uwharries when you do branch out or go back to OK it'll be a piece of cake.
I hunted many years there and to me it's ugly and crowded but when it's the only game you have to play.

i cant imagine not calling there. You guess wrong and you'll never hear or see one. So eliminate areas by calling /locating until you find sign or birds. Dont sleep late either if you know where to go.

FWIW imo you are punishing yourself by eliminating paid hunts. It's a better deal than club dues in many cases and you will have a chance to learn and gain experience and kill turkeys. I've been down your uwharrie quest and do not recommend it for a beginner.
Good Luck.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Seems to be plenty of good general advice, so I'll try to address these two questions.

1) If you're asking about food sources, in spring in the piedmont, I find them eating acorns, bugs, clover, and weed seeds. If there was a big acorn crop the year before (and there was last year), you may find them scratching under white oaks. But in general, any openings that allow light in to create patches of grassy weeds and clover is a good place to hunt near.

To start, do as QBD2 said and get high so you have the best chance of hearing one. I would go to the highest knob close to the scratching you've been seeing. Keep in mind turkeys can roam a long ways in a day, so first thing you are more keyed in to where they might roost. High points and the sides of ridges are also good places to roost because toms are there for the same reason you are - so they can hear, and be heard.

2) My calling doesn't change if there's groups of 3 or 30. You're trying to sound like a hen. I would generally avoid the gobbles on Uwharrie. Given the large acreage and modest population, I would be on the move looking for a bird that would gobble, as Eric Revo said. All you need to find is a willing bird, and you're in the game. Finding him is the chore. I would choose your best listening spot near known sign and if you don't hear one there, move and call, repeat for the next 5 miles until you strike one. Locator calls work sometimes. Sometimes hen calls. Sometimes both or neither. Depends on their mood.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I always look for mature timber near water and an open area like a field or pasture. Turkeys seem to want to roost in tall, mature trees over or near water. It can be a river, lake or small stream. At fly down, they very often like to head to an open area.
Before season opens, use google earth or some such to find likely areas and then ground troth it for scratching, tracks, poop, etc. A week or two before season, ease into these areas early in the AM and use an owl hoot to locate their roost area. It may move some before opening day, but it will put you in the ball park. If possible, go in and pinpoint the roost the morning or evening before opening day.