Newbie to Muzzleloading

Wlfpkmann 1178

Been hunting since I can remember, bit have never got into Muzzleloading season. I thought I would give it a shot. Any suggestions for a good gun to start?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
If you’re taking traditional get up with @nchawkeye

If you’re talking inline then I can help... (,,,, for @woodmoose)

I really like my CVA Accura V2 Nitride but I have nothing else to compare it to. The gun itself is important but is the lesser part of the equation and more about the load. A lot of guys have entry level guns that may not have corrosive resistant properties that have given them trouble free shooting. There is a wealth of load data in this sub forum to read through.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Been hunting since I can remember, bit have never got into Muzzleloading season. I thought I would give it a shot. Any suggestions for a good gun to start?
I'll 2nd most any CVA product. I've got an older model that gets the job done fine.

Remember this though. Consistent and reliable Accuracy is the end result of maintaining the weapon of choice.

Become a fanatic about keeping the rifle and accessories super clean.

Good luck !

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
As mentioned, if you start muzzleloading, don't neglect the cleaning. In fact, get a dedicated set of cleaning tools, aside from field gear, just to make it easier to do when needed.

I have a 54 LH flint, and a 54 underhammer percussion and enjoy both.

Just build it!

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_152314752.jpg
    IMG_20201206_152314752.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 12

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
There's a feller who sets up at the Dixie (Can we still say that?) Gun & Knife Show next to the Cape Fear Friends of The NRA booth that has a rack of used flintlock and caplock firearms for sale. I believe the next show is this coming weekend.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I got a CVA wolf a few months ago, this will be my first season with a muzzleloader as well. It’s not fancy but the iron sights are actually pretty good and it shoots well under Minute-Of-Deer at 100 yards.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
A CVA wolf will get You started and if you take care of the gun you can use it as a backup when you buy a good one.
I have two wolfs. Both shoot lights out. But they carry weird on the shoulder and corrode quick. I use them as loaners when people come hunt muskets with me because they are bulletproof and simple.

I shoot a traditions G4. You can find them for under $350 if you look hard.
Main reason is the light weight, but also the 100% Cerakoted reciever and barrel. Either a cerakote or Nitrided rifle will serve you many seasons longer than the wolf.

you’ll love musket hunting. Adds two weeks of gun season to my season! We only get three rifle weeks, so an extra couple weeksof hunting is sooooo worth it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I got a CVA wolf a few months ago, this will be my first season with a muzzleloader as well. It’s not fancy but the iron sights are actually pretty good and it shoots well under Minute-Of-Deer at 100 yards.
Mine is like 16/17 on deer. They kill. Just funny to carry a long way.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
The smokeless savage is the best money in a muzzleloader I’ve ever spent, if you keep your eye open they pop up from time to time, black powder is inherently corrosive your in a constant battle with it, buy once cry once

I’d like to hear a story from anyone that has a black powder muzzloader that’s over 10 yrs old that has kept a consistant point of aim and group size in that time period

I had a knight back in the mid-late 90’s that for a few years did real well, I shot it cleaned it loaded it and then proceeded to miss the biggest live buck I’ve ever seen, anywhere, ever, at about 30yds, the next day I tried shooting it again at 50 yds and out of three shots only one hit a sheet of notebook paper, soon after savage came out with there smokeless version and I have the original blued version, once I set the scope I’ve never had to touch it, and that’s how it should be

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The smokeless savage is the best money in a muzzleloader I’ve ever spent, if you keep your eye open they pop up from time to time, black powder is inherently corrosive your in a constant battle with it, buy once cry once

I’d like to hear a story from anyone that has a black powder muzzloader that’s over 10 yrs old that has kept a consistant point of aim and group size in that time period

I had a knight back in the mid-late 90’s that for a few years did real well, I shot it cleaned it loaded it and then proceeded to miss the biggest live buck I’ve ever seen, anywhere, ever, at about 30yds, the next day I tried shooting it again at 50 yds and out of three shots only one hit a sheet of notebook paper, soon after savage came out with there smokeless version and I have the original blued version, once I set the scope I’ve never had to touch it, and that’s how it should be
I’ve got a Remington M700MLS that I’ve had since 98 or 99. I’ve been shooting 100 gr FFg Goex and 240 gr Hornady XTP with Hornady greencrush rib sabot in it that entire time. Generally 150- 200 shots through it per year. It’s definitely beyond 3500 shots down the pipe at this point. It still shoots sub 1” 5 shot groups at 100 yards and I can keep 5 shots in 3” give or take at 200.

Maybe mine is an anomaly, but I don’t really think so. I’ve got another that while it’s not been shot as much, it’s capable of the same accuracy. I know of at least half a dozen folks who are still hunting with theirs, and all are still shooting well.

It’s all in how you take care of them and how well you clean them. I baby the fool out of mine.

Last edited:

gobbler

Eight Pointer
I’m glad ya had good succes with it, 150-200 shots through a muzzleloader a year is a pile of shooting, I doubt I’ve shot mine that many times in its entire life, I shot it to set the scope and everything else has been shot at a deer minus a shot to empty it out at the end of season