Newbie Question

NCPossum

Button Buck
Apologies in advance if this is a redundant question.

Can people fish freshwater in NC all year round ?

Or are the colder winter months a no no?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Much appreciated.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Short answer is yes, unless in the mountains trout fishing, then there are more regulations...Now, there are regulations as to how many you can keep and size limits and that can vary by the body of water, so start with one and learn what the regulations are for that one first...Good Luck...

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I try to fish year round. Ice can complicates things, but if you have open water and can locate fish, they tend to be in tighter schools in winter months. Without a doubt you can catch fish all year. What are you fishing for?

Jim

NCPossum

Button Buck
Honestly, I'm still new so don't really have enough knowledge to Target a specific species. I catch what I can. I imagine I will have to invest in a fish finder. I also just fish off the bank since I don't own a jon boat as of yet.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

Much appreciated.

Yes you can fish year around here. Some have mentioned that there are some restrictions in relation to trout fishing in the mountains but your regular freshwater fish like bass, crappie, bream catfish are a year around deal. One of my favorite times to fish is dead in the middle of winter when it is frigid(which rarely happens here), nasty, rainy, snowy when there is no one else on the water but me. Being a bank fisherman can greatly reduce winter time opportunities unless you have access to private ponds.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Many species (crappies, white perch) tend to school up in deeper channels during the winter. To increase your odds of finding fish from shore, I'd fish from the rip-rapped banks where a bridge goes over a creek or river channel.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Honestly, I'm still new so don't really have enough knowledge to Target a specific species. I catch what I can. I imagine I will have to invest in a fish finder. I also just fish off the bank since I don't own a jon boat as of yet.
where are you fishing? Lakes? Ponds? Creeks/rivers? Just trying to get a better idea of where you’re fishing

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Mostly rivers and lakes. I'm very close to the neuse River. I do want to try and hit up some ponds soon.
Gotcha. I’m not your guy for lakes. Hardly ever fish em . But I’m a bank fisherman here in the mountains. Pull up some videos on YouTube about how to “read” the river. One day you’ll be just randomly casting with no real reason for why you’re casting to that spot. As you learn, you’ll find yourself looking at the water totally different. I am not against or above having dumb luck lol. But being able to increase your chances by recognizing where fish may be holding up can be a game changer

slugoo

Eight Pointer

Much appreciated.
Yes in general you can fish all year. In winter you will want to move your lure slower and use slower lures. I've caught fish with ice floes going down the river with a rooster tail( a little spinner lure), and I've caught fish in the heat of July on a slow moving jig head (lead ball on a hook that you can put soft plastic lures on). What's more important than lures is if you are fishing where the fish are. In general, slower moving water in a faster moving river will hold more fish. A fallen tree anywhere will hold more fish. As you fish, take notes on the features of areas that you do well in. You will come to find what works best for you and what is most fun. I personally prefer rivers over lakes and ponds because you don't need a boat to reach the best fishing, you can just walk into the water or along the bank. This forum is a great resource but nothing can teach you more than your own personal experience.

timber

Twelve Pointer
A lot of good information given. But if all else fails look for a couple of old guys fishing in a boat. Watch where they are fishing. More than likely they know where the good holes are.