Newbie Lady to Bowhunting: Questions

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Hello, everyone,

I've never gone hunting in my life, but I'm thinking about taking up bowhunting at some point in the future. I used to shoot targets with a trad bow (can't remember if it was a longbow or a recurve) as a kid and really enjoyed it and I'm not really a fan of guns (too loud, among other things). Something you should know about me before I start pestering y'all with questions is: I'm 5 feet tall and built small and a lady, so I think my requirements for a bow may be different from most of you. With all that said, here are my questions:

For a beginner archer who is just learning, but would like to get comfortable with a trad bow, would you recommend a longbow or a recurve bow?

For someone who is interested in eventually hunting small game (rabbits, pheasants, quail, squirrels, etc, if that's even possible with a bow) or maybe one day deer, would you recommend a longbow or a recurve bow? What are your reasons? What are the benefits and disadvantages of each (I've done some Internet research about them, but would like to get the perspectives of real hunters who have used them in the field)?

If you were going to give any bowhunting tips for a beginner short chick like me, what tips would you give?

Are there any particular places you'd recommend a beginner go to find a trad bow that would be a good fit and is not crazy expensive (expensive being $160 or more on my budget)?

I think that's everything for now. Thanks in advance!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Welcome to the forum, KrisB.

There are lots of folks on here with trad bow hunting knowledge. It appears you have some very specific requirements in mind as well. My advice would be to first get some recommendations on good bow shops in your area. While I don't have experience in the trad bow area, I would guess that you will need to get used to shooting again and then step up in draw weight for hunting purposes. Not sure if you can use the same bow for that or not.

What say you, @mjbrady, @snakeskinner and @longrifle ??

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Welcome to the forum

I am just south of your area and know of no decent traditional shops in the area. Godwin's Archery (down 211 towards Raeford) is very knowledgeable on "things archery" but is more of a compound place, though he does carry some trad gear. I shoot about everything, but prefer longbow,

I have quite a few long bows/recurves that my kids/grandkids have or are using so your size is not an issue.

Also, get up with Bud B. (@Bud B. ) - they have a trad shoot most every month about an hour away from you.

As far your specific questions:

For a beginner archer who is just learning, but would like to get comfortable with a trad bow, would you recommend a longbow or a recurve bow? Either one is fine - you might like a recurve better at first, normally a shorter bow and tend to be more forgiving of form.

For someone who is interested in eventually hunting small game (rabbits, pheasants, quail, squirrels, etc, if that's even possible with a bow) or maybe one day deer, would you recommend a longbow or a recurve bow? again, either one - it's more about what you can hit accurately with

What are your reasons? none!!

What are the benefits and disadvantages of each (I've done some Internet research about them, but would like to get the perspectives of real hunters who have used them in the field)? Lots of opinions on that one - generally a recurve is more forgiving, shorter, less hand shock - but not always. I like a longbow more beciase I have long arms and they "feel" better to me.

If you were going to give any bowhunting tips for a beginner short chick like me, what tips would you give? Start witha light poundage and then move up. Way better to start too light with a bow than a little too heavy (draw weight). You'll end up needing to buy a different bow later on, but you will learn form etc better with less poundage

Are there any particular places you'd recommend a beginner go to find a trad bow that would be a good fit and is not crazy expensive (expensive being $160 or more on my budget)? Online or used

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Also I’d talk to snakeskinner since he only hunts trad bow, be a good brain to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I recommend a recurve over a longbow for a beginner. They are just easier to learn on. Based on your post it sounds like you will have to work up to a draw weight that will be suitable for hunting big game. $160 is a limited budget for a bow but there might be some older, used bows that you could find for that. This guy often has used bows and can get you set up. http://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/ He is in NC.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Question about the Eagles Flight Archery: I looked around on the website, but did not see any bows for sale. Do I need to contact him directly about that or does he not sell bows any longer?

Thank you, everyone for the replies! Very helpful!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
he sells them on craigslist and such - contact him. If he doesn't have one he may know of one

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hello, everyone,

I've never gone hunting in my life, but I'm thinking about taking up bowhunting at some point in the future. I used to shoot targets with a trad bow (can't remember if it was a longbow or a recurve) as a kid and really enjoyed it and I'm not really a fan of guns (too loud, among other things). Something you should know about me before I start pestering y'all with questions is: I'm 5 feet tall and built small and a lady, so I think my requirements for a bow may be different from most of you. With all that said, here are my questions:

For a beginner archer who is just learning, but would like to get comfortable with a trad bow, would you recommend a longbow or a recurve bow?

For someone who is interested in eventually hunting small game (rabbits, pheasants, quail, squirrels, etc, if that's even possible with a bow) or maybe one day deer, would you recommend a longbow or a recurve bow? What are your reasons? What are the benefits and disadvantages of each (I've done some Internet research about them, but would like to get the perspectives of real hunters who have used them in the field)?

If you were going to give any bowhunting tips for a beginner short chick like me, what tips would you give?

Are there any particular places you'd recommend a beginner go to find a trad bow that would be a good fit and is not crazy expensive (expensive being $160 or more on my budget)?

Weird. I’m a male Chris B considering bow hunting after shooting a lot of long bow as a kid in the
Hello, everyone,

Weird. Im a male Chris B who shot a lot of long bow as a kid and have considered getting into bow hunting lmao

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Question about the Eagles Flight Archery: I looked around on the website, but did not see any bows for sale. Do I need to contact him directly about that or does he not sell bows any longer?

Thank you, everyone for the replies! Very helpful!

He used to have a bow list but it was probably always changing so he just decided to stop posting a list.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, welcome to the Dark Side! Not much I can add really, you've gotten some excellent advice. I would suggest as others have that you locate/attend any local 3D tournaments near you, even if you don't shoot. The season is in full swing right now and they're an excellent source for gaining knowledge/ experience. I've never known an archer who wouldn't help a new shooter into the sport....
They say the bad thing about traditional archery is that you have to shoot so much to gain proficiency. And the good thing is you have to shoot so much to stay proficient....
Enjoy!

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
KrisB,

Come over to Barefoot Traditional Archers on May the 19th. We're having a 3d shoot but there will be lots of folks there with bows and answers to help you. I am in Asheboro. Barefoot is in Burlington. Many of us at Barefoot are hunters and we can help you in any way possible with trad archery and hunting.

Feel free to message me. I will be out of town on a hog hunt this Mon thru Fri.

https://barefoottraditionalarchersnc.weebly.com

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1559103907745754&ref=content_filter

https://m.facebook.com/groups/397093367116839?view=group&_rdr

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure where you are located, but Bob's Archery in Biscoe always did good for me when I was living in that area.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Not sure where you are located, but Bob's Archery in Biscoe always did good for me when I was living in that area.
I'm in Southern Pines, right by Pinehurst. I think the closest archery shop to me is Godwins in Raeford, but I'm going to look much further afield for a good bow.

ka30270

Six Pointer
I recently got back into trad archery and I went with a Samick Sage. They receive great reviews, they are takedown which means you can swap limb poundage, and they are very reasonably priced.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Update: I went to the 3D shoot in Burlington (Barefoot Traditional Archers) today and had an awesome time! Met Bud B. in person, who very kindly lent me a recurve bow and arrows, and I walked around on the trails with an experienced female archer and we shot at 30 mock up animal targets. It was awesome! I am hooked! Stopped by Eagle's Flight Archery in Mebane on the way back home and he was awesome and I think I may have found my bow! Going back on Wednesday to either buy it or look around some more at what he has. Great day all around! :)

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
That's awesome to hear, there are some real good people in the sport, many of them on this website.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
It was very nice to meet you today, Kris. I am glad you were able to go to Don's. Please come back anytime!
Hopefully the rain will not be a factor the next time.
:)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Update: I went to the 3D shoot in Burlington (Barefoot Traditional Archers) today and had an awesome time! Met Bud B. in person, who very kindly lent me a recurve bow and arrows, and I walked around on the trails with an experienced female archer and we shot at 30 mock up animal targets. It was awesome! I am hooked! Stopped by Eagle's Flight Archery in Mebane on the way back home and he was awesome and I think I may have found my bow! Going back on Wednesday to either buy it or look around some more at what he has. Great day all around! :)

both great choices. Took my grandson to the Barefoot 3D shoot a time or two - they know how to treat beginners. And never go wrong with Eagle's Flight. Have fun with the process and learning to shoot well

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Traditional bowhunter here also. Havent shot wheel bows in a long...long time.
You've had good advice here. If someone hasn't suggested it already, go to a Carolina Traditional Archers shoot. Shoot as many bows as folks will let you to see what you like. Places like that are where you'll find the most traditional bows to try. Welcome to the addiction of traditional bowhunting!

Nomad

Button Buck
KrisB, I live in Southern Pines also. I use Bob's Sporting Goods for archery and bow work. Also, Moore County Bowhunters is in Vass. They host 3D shoots and other Central Carolina Archery Association shoots.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
KrisB, I live in Southern Pines also. I use Bob's Sporting Goods for archery and bow work. Also, Moore County Bowhunters is in Vass. They host 3D shoots and other Central Carolina Archery Association shoots.
Thank you for the info! Is the Moore County Bowhunters club open/welcoming to total beginners? Or are they more for already experienced people?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This is more geared to bow hunting deer specifically. There are quite a few very good quality short How To videos on a variety of topics here:

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/shows/other/how-to/

Thanks to QBD2, I think, for pointing me in this direction for two seasons of hunts. You can follow along with the guys and gals as they go through the 2015 and 2016 season via the Chasing November series.

Season 1:

Season 2: