New young hunter

Charlotte hunter

Button Buck
I’m about to buy my first bow in the hopes to start hunting when the next season opens up. I’m 16 and have support from my parents but unfortunately neither of them have ever hunted so they can only provide so much help. I’m asking for any advice you’re willing to give such as how to find land to hunt on or anything else you think I should know as a new hunter.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Do you want a crossbow or vertical bow?

Plenty of good advice found on here
Welcome and Good luck

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I would like to get a vertical bow however I’m cross dominant (right handed left eye dominant) as I understand I should learn to shoot with a left handed bow?

Yes. A left handed bow. My dad is the same way. Sucks for me because he’s always buying new bows and I can’t use his hand me downs!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am right handed left eye dominant and shoot right handed, both firearms and bow. But I have always went the old school method and closed one eye (my dominant one) and it really never became an issue.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I would like to get a vertical bow however I’m cross dominant (right handed left eye dominant) as I understand I should learn to shoot with a left handed bow?

Not trying to steer you one way or the other, but I'm the same way. I shoot rifles and shotguns lefty given a choice, but I'd say 20 percent of my deer and 40 percent of my turkeys I shoot right handed. But I shoot a right handed vertical bow. You just have to close your left eye when shooting. If you don't, your dominant left eye will take over and you will miss. Bad. Ask me how I know. But in the end, I think it may be a good thing to learn to use both eyes. Firearm, I never knew any better as my Dad switch me to lefty when I was in the toy gun/Red Ryder BB gun phase. But the first bow I had access to was righty, so I just learned that way. Being right handed, I couldn't fathom drawing a bow lefty. But it's easy enough to switch shoulders with a gun and use the off side eye if the situation requires it.

Last edited:

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
If you live in Charlotte then go by Barefoot archery on old pineville rd. Talk to Jesse there. They are some archery coaches that help out there also. They will get you started on the right track They run some leagues there also. It will make good practice

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Pay attention to this website there are tons and tons of smart and extremely educated people when it comes to hunting on the site. Practice practice practice practice. Read watch YouTube get in the woods and practice practice practice. It definitely helps to have someone Mentor you and guide you but a lot of people have learned the same way you're about to experience, good luck on the future of hunting

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Find an archery shop with a range. They'll be glad to let you shoot left and right handed bows. Take a cheap eye patch with you to cover your dominate eye when shooting right handed. I have the same problem, I just close my eye before drawing my bow.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
As far as finding a place to hunt, there are several fine folks on here that will be glad to help you. You shouldn't have any problem getting advice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Practice a ton when you do get your bow, and spend alot of time in the woods learning to read sign of game. Read up on the regs. most importantly. Good luck.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
I'm a lefty but right eye dominant. Always shot a bow (or rifle) right handed and it feels completely natural with my left hand out front stabilizing the bow. Good luck!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
At 16 you have it made finding hunting land. You go to school with 100s of peers. Maybe your friends parents or grandparents own land. Date a girls with big farm land. [emoji23]
Yes go to an archery shop and get set up right the first time. Draw length, peep height, how to manipulate a release correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
My wife is right handed and left eye dominant. So her first bow was a lefty and she never looked back, not a big issue to learn something new on your non- dominant hand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Do you have a car? Plan to drive a bit to find land...If nothing else, South Mountain, Uwharrie, Alcoa, seem to be equidistant from Charlotte. I'd buy a climbing stand (look on Craigslist or Facebook) and start exploring those game lands now. Use your phone to drop pins on likely spots. In your spare time over the summer, practice climbing and shooting from your climbing stand. Be willing to walk a bit further and you'll see fewer hunters. Don't overlook permit hunt opportunities either.

Good Luck!

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Your school have an FFA club? If so I would join and chat up the girls in the club. Find out how much land their daddy has and its location... don't worry about what they look like, you're a new hunter that doesn't matter, it's a sacrifice you're gonna have to make starting out.... of course I'm kidding... sort of....

My best advice would be to find a family friend, church member, somebody you trust to teach you the ropes. You can certainly ask questions here but you are bound to get a variety of answers based on everyone's unique experiences, nobody's answer to a question is necessarily wrong. If you find a piece of land to hunt then just hunt as much as you can, don't be afraid of making a mistake or doing something wrong... no substitute for time in the woods.