New York outlaws feeding deer but requires deer feed to be labled as illegal in NY

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The rule prohibits the intentional and incidental feeding of deer and moose and requires labeling on deer feed stating its illegal to use in NY.

So will commercial deer feed packages sold in the US now have to come with a change in labeling ?

“To reduce the sale and marketing of products that are illegal to use and to protect consumers from being misled, the new regulation requires retail products packaged for sale as food or edible attractants for wild deer or moose to carry a label clearly stating that such use is illegal in New York.”

The new regulation addresses the mixed message sent when hunters enter stores filled with massive stocks of deer feed even though proprietors know full well it is illegal to bait or feed deer in NY. Now a distinct label must be posted on feed marketed to attract deer advising them of its illegal use in the state

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
....." the only state to eradicate CWD".....
So why the ban ? Thought they eradicated it ?

Who cares...maybe they'll learn to hunt now 👋🏻

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NY has never allowed baiting. I would bet by the end of this decade baiting will be illegal everywhere.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
NY has never allowed baiting. I would bet by the end of this decade baiting will be illegal everywhere.
Baiting wasn't there reason it was feeding like in Va. And you just might be right it is gaining momentum. Which will be fine with me and after several years I'd bet others will like it also save money and time

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
NY has totally banned feeding deer
New York State DEC Environmental Law reads as follows; ... In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed. There are five exceptions to the rule: Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
Dec 18, 2013
Quick google found it has been banned since at least 2013, so looks like you are behind the times, understand this copy and paste clearly shows "feed deer" not bait to hunt, just to feed

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
This is a new regulation enacted very recently.

The old regs no longer apply

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder if the hunters who want corn and other bait outlawed, have tons of agricultural acreage to hunt over, or plenty of food plots, or hard wood ridges. Every hunter ain't that fortunate!

Does that apply to just deer or wild turkey as well?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
New York State DEC Environmental Law reads as follows; ... In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed. There are five exceptions to the rule: Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
Dec 18, 2013
Quick google found it has been banned since at least 2013, so looks like you are behind the times, understand this copy and paste clearly shows "feed deer" not bait to hunt, just to feed
He doesn't care how up to date nor accurate he is. Just trying to get an impact.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortunately for nccatfisher these are RECENT changes enacted by the NY DEC last month.

For Release: Friday, December 27, 2019

DEC Announces Adoption of New Deer and Moose Feeding Regulation
Measure Prevents Unnecessary Feeding of Wild Deer to Prevent Spread of Disease and Other Negative Effects on Wildlife and Habitat

So people aren't confused these regulations came into force at the end of December 2019.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unfortunately for nccatfisher these are RECENT changes enacted by the NY DEC last month.

So people aren't confused these regulations came into force at the end of December 2019.
Yeah, newsflash I could give two chits less what happens in NY about baiting or feeding. But keep padding you posts. And if it is current news then good for you, you actually got lucky and posted something accurate. And even got your title close to in the ballpark with the story line. You know you do have issues what that, as has been brought up several times by admins.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
well same rules/laws with some added verbiage, if it was against the law in 2013 to feed deer and moose, and its against the law in 2019 to feed the deer and moose, i really dont see what rule changed

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remember when it was illegal to bait here in NC. I may be wrong, but I think the reason they started allowing baiting is because the deer population began to get out of hand. What do you think will happen now, if NC goes back to no baiting after most of us have gotten lazy from baiting? My guess is, a LOT less deer will be killed, all the urbanites will start complaining about the deer eating up their flowers, and there will be an increase in vehicle accidents.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Baiting deer has never been illegal in NC.

As for actually banning baiting and feeding, like in NY, it will be outlawed in the name of fighting CWD if it is ever outlawed.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
see, you get it :rolleyes:
Actually, No you don't. I put out quite a bit of bait this year. I just wish baiting was outlawed so everyone would be forced to learn to hunt. I was very lucky that I was trained by a guy that very seldom used bait. Back then few people baited. I think it would help a lot of today's hunters better understand deer movement and activity. I think too many of US take the "easy" way out. It is really hard to hunt an area where there are lots of bait piles if you are not baiting. It truly affects deer movement. I saw many more true "rub lines" and "scape lines" back then. I had some guys who are much better hunters than me explain that bucks now use "bait piles" rather than scrape lines. They know they can simple walk down wind of corn piles and accomplish the same purpose. And I can say I have actually used this strategy to kill several of my bigger bucks. While working as a forester I started keeping mental notes, and I can say that when we cruised tracks that had little to no baiting there sure seemed to be more traditional buck sign.

I would love to hunt an area where there was no baiting within miles that I felt safe. I tried game lands. I just really struggle to hunt in an area where there is not organization or communication about each other's location. Just a safety thing with me.

I just would love for more of the younger generation get to experience this type of hunting vs. just sitting over a corn pile.