New years day hunt

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
About °35 and a about 5mph wind. Beached the boat for some pre-setup breakfast. Homemade sausage, egg, Colby jack cheese, on white bread, coffee. Were only about 50yds from where we hunted.
Glad that it wasnt 40-45°. Clear day. Had 2 mallards fly over, got them to turn, then a boat came down the river and the ducks kept going.
Had about 30 geese fly over, low enough to shoot, didnt, only had #4 shot. Nobody out this morning in our area. No shots heard. I guess folks we nursing a hangover or just slept in.
5fa2141d3565a325a4400843c6349773.jpg
ddbb12792bcbc0cb90f34dcb9910048a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
glad you had fun and breakfast sounded good,,,,

last picture is a new "classic stance" for today's hunters,,,,,,,,,,,,on a phone

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
On New Year day I hunted my place at Skeet on Northlake Road. Did not hear a shot all morning. Those of you that have hunted there in the past will prob find this unbelievable. Just goes to show that money and corn do not always equal ducks.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
My friend who’s pond is just past Jarvis Canal always has had and kills boo koi’s of ducks. Amazing place ....until the last several weeks. So bad he didn’t even go last few weeks.
I just hope this is not one of those long term patterns starting to take place. Lack of consistent birds for the last 5 years or so has seemed to become common place.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
On New Year day I hunted my place at Skeet on Northlake Road. Did not hear a shot all morning. Those of you that have hunted there in the past will prob find this unbelievable. Just goes to show that money and corn do not always equal ducks.

yes i have hunted the impounds at Spencer and Cabin ponds and what you say is hard to believe

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I spent a few days at the Lake last week. Pretty slow based on everyone I ran into. We did have one excellent hunt. Just 2 of us in the blind, but some of the best working birds I've seen in a while. They finished so well for a hot, no wind day. It was remarkable for the conditions. 8 Widgeon, 1 Gwt, 3 Bwt. I did ride over to see what roosted in a few impoundments I can watch and there are birds around. They are just on the night schedule. Need some cold weather to improve the hunting. Doesn't look like we are going to get it anytime soon. :(
KV5X9bR.jpg

dbohunts

Six Pointer
Nice morning, would love to get a couple late season BWT for the wall one day. It's the one that eludes me.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I spent a few days at the Lake last week. Pretty slow based on everyone I ran into. We did have one excellent hunt. Just 2 of us in the blind, but some of the best working birds I've seen in a while. They finished so well for a hot, no wind day. It was remarkable for the conditions. 8 Widgeon, 1 Gwt, 3 Bwt. I did ride over to see what roosted in a few impoundments I can watch and there are birds around. They are just on the night schedule. Need some cold weather to improve the hunting. Doesn't look like we are going to get it anytime soon. :(
KV5X9bR.jpg

Simply awesome for the conditions. were you in an impoundment or on the sound?

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Hyde, the last time I saw a limit of puddlers like that come from the sound was 30-35 years ago! So I’m going out on a limb and say it was in his pond ...;);)(y)(y)

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
KV5X9bR.jpg
That’s a beautiful stack of birds. First time I’ve seen anything like that in that area in recent memory. I remember killing good numbers of puddlers in Hyde on the sound less than 10 years ago, but not in the last 3 years.