New Trade?

Since our dear President wants to have free community college for all, it got me thinking,maybe I should learn a trade. Im a retired school teacher, old but not dead maybe learn a trade to supplement my income. Looks like no one wants to work, what trade would you recommend?

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Hvac will always be in demand. Even when new construction and home building crashes you have service work on existing homes even commercial buildings. I ran my own company for over 15 years and never needed to advertise, stayed small and worked as much or as little as I seen fit. Residential retrofit or add on replacement market is the way. You can clear 3k cash in a long day on a residential equipment swap and still be giving folks a deal or catch a few service calls for a few hundred and be back home at noon

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
As a machinist I would learn it if you’re going to work for yourself. If you are going to work for someone else in manufacturing, do something else unless your body won’t let you. Companies have gone away from shops full of machinists to hiring temps to be 2 button operators with a skilled guy doing the programming, setups, and adjustments. There are exceptions to this of course but automation has decreased the need for skilled bodies.

I have electrical with some HVAC experience working for my Dad. Plumbing is a learned necessity around here, more than capable. Dad pushed me to machining so I wouldn’t have bad joints later in life from crawling and climbing ladders lol.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Since our dear President wants to have free community college for all, it got me thinking,maybe I should learn a trade. Im a retired school teacher, old but not dead maybe learn a trade to supplement my income. Looks like no one wants to work, what trade would you recommend?
Learn how to drive a truck. Lol. NOT.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
As a machinist I would learn it if you’re going to work for yourself. If you are going to work for someone else in manufacturing, do something else unless your body won’t let you. Companies have gone away from shops full of machinists to hiring temps to be 2 button operators with a skilled guy doing the programming, setups, and adjustments. There are exceptions to this of course but automation has decreased the need for skilled bodies.

I have electrical with some HVAC experience working for my Dad. Plumbing is a learned necessity around here, more than capable. Dad pushed me to machining so I wouldn’t have bad joints later in life from crawling and climbing ladders lol.
You have pointed out the cons of the construction trades,hit the nail on the head. Yeah don't do it for 30 years like I did it will make you old and crooked before your time

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Working for a community college, I can say that trades are great for those willing to do the work. The amount of partnerships with local businesses, opportunities it helps to open, is second to none. I can't think of many fields where you can get hands on experience and in 1 - 2 years have job opportunities lined up and making an honest living. Trades can be hard work, but worth it if willing to do it.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I went through my apprenticeship with men in their 50’s. I’d say, as long as you’re willing to learn, it can be a great life change. Older guys usually make it along better than dudes right out of school. They know what they are gunning for and most have a good work ethic. Just gotta remember that you are back at the bottom of the food chain for a little while. Some guys let that get to them and forget about the long term. Good luck with whatever you decide!

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Learning a trade is a young mans game...but if you really wanna do that to yourself, skip the classes and go be a helper.

This is how I got into linework. Went out as a groundman until I could get into the apprenticeship. I don’t know how other trades work, but for mine, I wouldn’t pay a penny for one of them trade schools.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Trade school experience in the hvac world usually ment the difference between starting out riding along for on the job training with a experienced service tech versus starting out as a installation helper,gopher, grunt rolling in the dirt and insulation all day. That being said back in the day when I was still working for an employer as a hands on installation manager all new hires even the service techs fresh out of school were assigned to work with me for a week or two to weed out anyone who'd heart wasn't in it or didn't have the work ethics the employer desired. He claimed if they lasted two weeks with me they might make it

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ive worked at a Power Plant for 25yrs and I have decided that when my job plays out I want to try something else.
It's mentally exhausting and the pressure is unreal in my job. Its either 0 or 100%.

Wish I had learned a trade earlier in life. Thinking about HVAC myself.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My opinion only, but much depends on if you plan to work for yourself or for someone else.
If for yourself, how busy do you wish to be and how much are you willing to invest?
HVAC requires a significant investment.
Plumbing requires a significant investment.
Both require equipment (depending on the level of what you do) that can be a bit pricey.
Many need simple electrical repairs that doesn't require costly tools and equipment. But, that is not always easy work.
Trucking? It looks easy from the outside looking in. No, it's not totally hard physically, but not an easy profession either. You gotta think about if you would be willing to die to not hit the car that just slammed on the brakes after changing into your lane, or to not hit the busload of kids that just had an issue. (Hypothetical issues, but thought worthy non the less)
Machinist? Good pay, as are others if you have the funds to buy tooling and equipment which runs way high.
Welding and metal fab is another that has a good return if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of vision and have a strong back. Yes, you can do light work and not stress your body, but with time, it will affect your eyesight.

Not trying to be Mr negative here, but you need to go forward with whatever you wish to do with an open mind. Be aware that many trades have negatives for us that have many years in our rear views. I can still do things that many youngsters can't, but that doesn't mean I want to do it daily. I'm thrice retired and prefer to not straddle myself too badly, yet I still help a friend out when he/they get behind. I may drive a truck hauling loads for a few days here and there or help his mechanic out when he gets behind. I also spin a wrench now and then in my shop to help someone out upon occasion. But, I still have the flexibility to do so at my pleasure.
Good luck finding what you want....

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
In my class there was a retired professor who only took the manual machining classes. He wanted to learn enough to be proficient at making hard to find parts for his clock repair hobby. He did participate in a CNC class at the urging of an instructor but eventually ‘dropped out’, the irony lol.

Or you could gain some useful skills and make your own 0% lowers :stir::ninja:

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Local trucking. All kinds of jobs to be had that pay well and keep you at home.
Yea there is but you have to have experience to get those good paying local jobs unless you want to drive a dump truck or a concrete truck or something like that. I've been driving since i got out the military in 1988

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
A capable electrician or plumbers helper can make $35 an hour with the right company right now.
just be able to show up and follow basic instructions.
I could pay a man full time $60k a year just to help me keep up but the QUALITY workers aren’t out there. They either have a job or are starting their own gig right now. I need a me that’s 10 years younger with a strong back.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
A capable electrician or plumbers helper can make $35 an hour with the right company right now.
I could pay a man full time $60k a year just to help me keep up but the QUALITY workers aren’t out there. They either have a job or are starting their own gig right now. I need a me that’s 10 years younger with a strong back.
How old are you and where are you ?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Would a retired school teacher be 10 years younger with a strong back?