New to turkey hunting question

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I have hunted deer & small game most of my life, but only once or twice for turkeys. On our farm, I have a general sense of where the turkeys are and how they use the landscape. Several of those places are near existing ladder stands. I know the general method for turkeys is to call and hunt from the ground, but would it make sense to utilize the stand since I know they flow through that area within shotgun range?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I almost always hunt from the ground,,, but I cannot say I haven't smoked a turkey or two from an elevated position,,,,

do what works for you (within legal and your personal ethical parameters of course),,,

Good Luck

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Being up in a tree makes it hard to move on the birds. Also, usually not as much cover in a tree as getting tucked in good somewhere on the ground.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I will advise you to hunt a turkey the way it has been done long before any on here has hunted them. The turkey is the most rewarding hunting one can do if you do it from the ground, calling him to gun range of a reasonable distance, making him find you searching for that hen he thinks he is hearing. When it is done this way you will soon realize what I have just is the rewarding way. Now after saying saying this, there are many that use blinds, decoys, reaping, and many other legal means of taking them, and that is fine with me....whatever one enjoys most. Turkey hunting can be made to be easy if one wants to take that route. I know a guy that uses a remote control gobbler-hen set up and gets them in real close. You need to go with someone that knows the ropes, so to speak and get off on the right foot. Enjoy the journey.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have hunted deer & small game most of my life, but only once or twice for turkeys. On our farm, I have a general sense of where the turkeys are and how they use the landscape. Several of those places are near existing ladder stands. I know the general method for turkeys is to call and hunt from the ground, but would it make sense to utilize the stand since I know they flow through that area within shotgun range?
Well that makes it as easy as deer hunting but misses the good part of the sport.
But really no different that sitting in a ground tent.
Main thing is to have some fun trying it.
Only thing is you may come away with the “it was no big deal” feeling. Whereas if you interacted with one by calling and got to experience working one into gun range you might have a different opinion of the game.

Good Luck when you go.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On our farm, I have a general sense of where the turkeys are and how they use the landscape.
Then you are better than the turkey is.. he does not even know what he is going to do next. They are not the creatures of habit that deer are.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Meh… piss on the purists… many of the same ones use bait to kill deer. Utilize shotguns instead of bows… I mean 100 chances piled into a single shot… all it takes is one pellet… OVERKILL!! smh. Even use TSS… the horror! Don’t forget those purists that ‘forget’ where the property line is….

First time for doing this but I set up an elevated blind in a known area turkeys like to pass through. Why? They are going to go through there regardless of calling.