New to Muzzleloading Question

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Never owned or shot one. Question is What is a good beginning muzzleloader?

I have done some research but was just asking for personal experiences. Thanks!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Get a cap lock (percussion) or flint lock side lock muzzleloading rifle.

You will enjoy it more

An example:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
To me, the question for you would be, what are you really wanting to do? Are you looking to lengthen your season and add an element of challenge to the hunt, or is it for more opportunity to primarily kill more deer? It the mindset is the latter, I would say find an inline that is in your price range, either new or used, stick a scope on it and go shoot. If it is the former, I It is the latter, go find a good side hammer caplock, work up a good patched roundball load and go enjoy the experience. If you buy used, find someone with a borescope and see how much cleaning you need to do first. You would be surprised how much lead build-up some guns have in them and the owner swears they are clean, which they absolutely believe. But getting all the black out of the barrel does nothing for the lead build-up and that will drasticly effect your accuracy. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun.

Reactions: CRC

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The TC Impact and CVA Wolf are tough to beat at the price point. The CVA Optima is even better but more money. Green sabots and a Hornady 44 cal 240 gr XTP bullet are as close perfect as there is. If you want fast and easy, pellets are nice. I preferred loose Pyrodex for many years because you can dial in your rifle. BH209 is the cleanest powder but requires hotter primers.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I love my Thompson Center Triumph. Its actually easy to get the breech plug outta that thing and its as accurate as I can shoot it.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Here's a 2nd vote for a CVA optima.

Look closely at their CVA Wolf line. That's a great intro product line of theirs.
I got my first new muzzleloader this year. CVA Wolf. Stainless barrel, camo stock, quick release breech plug(blackhorn plug and standard) soft case, tools, and konus 3x9 scope with a lifetime warranty for about $400 shipped to my front door. Shot it several times today and am very happy with it. I shot with someone very experienced with muzzleloaders and they didn’t have anything bad to say about it other than maybe a little bit of user error 😂

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got my first new muzzleloader this year. CVA Wolf. Stainless barrel, camo stock, quick release breech plug(blackhorn plug and standard) soft case, tools, and konus 3x9 scope with a lifetime warranty for about $400 shipped to my front door. Shot it several times today and am very happy with it. I shot with someone very experienced with muzzleloaders and they didn’t have anything bad to say about it other than maybe a little bit of user error 😂
The Wolf is a great “budget” muzzleloader with lots of “premium” features. They shoot really well, are user friendly and are an excellent “beginner” muzzleloader.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Did he have tell you which way point the muzzle?😁😁

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You'll be happy with it, Wal-Mart has one right now stainless barrel scope mounted for 250 bucks hard beat that for first one just drop in powder bullet toss primer on and shoot. Easy remove breech for simple cleaning

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You'll be happy with it, Wal-Mart has one right now stainless barrel scope mounted for 250 bucks hard beat that for first one just drop in powder bullet toss primer on and shoot. Easy remove breech for simple cleaning
That breech is awesome. Throw some anti seize grease on it and it’s easy peasy. I did discover with mine , at least for the blackhorn breech , I have to bump it a bit with the tool after hand tightening. If I don’t, my hammer won’t lock back .

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
That breech is awesome. Throw some anti seize grease on it and it’s easy peasy. I did discover with mine , at least for the blackhorn breech , I have to bump it a bit with the tool after hand tightening. If I don’t, my hammer won’t lock back .

Did you set the Blackhorn breech plug correctly the first time you put it in the gun? I recall the instructions with mine said to tighten it with the tool the first time. I have not needed to use the tool since then.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you get one with a preinstalled scope, just shtcan the scope and rings. Just do it. Buy a decent scope and slap it on there with GOOD RINGS. Ones that won't jiggle loose on a 10 minute ATV ride over flat terrain causing you to gut shoot a doe at 40 yards.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Did you set the Blackhorn breech plug correctly the first time you put it in the gun? I recall the instructions with mine said to tighten it with the tool the first time. I have not needed to use the tool since then.
You’re exactly right. After referencing instructions , I needed to use the tool lol. However when I greased it Saturday and put it back in, I needed to use the tool again . Not a big deal tho. I’m very happy with the gun scope combo