New (To Me) Project

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I have been rightly accused of having too many toys and projects, but this is the latest completed toy/project and I am pretty happy to have it up and running.
I got this 1966 Evinrude 9.5hp outboard from an older man at church. He said if I could get it going, I could have it cheep, and then handed the original sales paperwork and owners books over with it. He put it away in his garage 15 years ago after it stopped running for him. He had a few people work on the carb but no luck.
I cleaned the carb and made one small tweak to the arm that holds the float. It started right up and hums like a sewing machine. I changed the impeller, cut some new gaskets to replace the old dried ones, replaced the seals in the gearcase, and filled it up with some fresh gear lube.
I took it to the lake this morning for a trial run. She cold cranks on the first pull and pushes my little 12 foot shallow water fishing machine at 18mph. Not too bad for a motor that hasn't pushed a boat in over 15 years.
Needless to say, I am happy, happy, happy.:greenjump:
GetAttachment[1].jpg

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Those little Rude's are really tough. Enjoy your new to you motor...I ran Evinrude outboards and Johnson a long time back in the day when Outboard Marine Corporation manufactured them they were very reliable . I can't say a bad thing about a Mercury either, I have run them a lot as well...

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those are some good motors too..but remember that they were designed for leaded gas, so the alcohol will kill them quickly. Lead replacements are available for these and other leaded gas engines and really make a difference.
I can't remember if that model had the shear pins, but lots of those E-Rudes did in the smaller engine sizes and they were notorious for leaving you "up the creek" if you didn't have a replacement...we always kept a box full of the shear pins made from brazing rods in my grandads old bateau.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Eric - As for the alcohol in the gas causing problems, I solve that by only running non-ethanol gas in my boats and lawn mower and power tools. I also go one step further to run marine grade Sta-Bil in all these fuels too. An outboard mechanic can make a retirement on just what ethanol will do to outboards. I was not aware of the led additives and will look into them. I also have a bag full of shear pins and other small repair tools in the boat. I was raised by a parents who believed heavily in and taught the theory of "be prepared for the worst" type of situations. Thanks for the warning though.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
You should be fine running non eth unleaded in an older 2 stroke. IIRC the lead was used primarily as a valve lubricant so it really served no purpose in 2 strokes.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Congratulations. Some folks can fall in the proverbial bucket and come out smelling like a rose. I haven't ever had that kind of luck. lol. I owned an Evinrude a long, long time ago and I have owned and used many other makes since but I have never seen/used one that performed as well as that Evinrude.

And I strongly agree with staying completely away from using ethanol gas in ANY smaller engines. My brother has a 125 Merc boat motor. It just gave up running. We pulled the in line fuel filter and found the quart sized filter canister filled with what I can only describe as that gunk like stuff where frogs have laid their eggs, sans the actual egg. LOL. We flushed everything profusely, including the gas tank, put everything back together with a new filter, put non ethanol fuel in the tank and shes singing like a Singer Sewing Machine now.