New to hunting

Wesburns556

Button Buck
I’m new to N.C. I’m 27 and I want to start hunting. I went hunting in Texas with my uncle when I was young around from ages 8-13 and I want to start again I do have guns to hunt with I just need to know what I need to get started I’ve taken a hunter Education course online. What are the next steps to get started

I know how to skin animals
And I have the gear to hunt do I need anything else?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Lucky for you, you can get a hunting license at wal mart. Squirrel season is amongst us. Go walk some game land and get familiar with one or multiple. Shoot the squirrels. Your hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wesburns556

Button Buck
Lucky for you, you can get a hunting license at wal mart. Squirrel season is amongst us. Go walk some game land and get familiar with one or multiple. Shoot the squirrels. Your hunting!

So I can just get a license and hunt that’s easily? I don’t have to do the field day course?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So I can just get a license and hunt that’s easily? I don’t have to do the field day course?

I'm fairly confident you will need the full hunters ed course, and just the online portion is not adequate. UNLESS, you have a previous hunting license from another state.
Edited to add: After procuring the proper licenses, the search for a place to hunt begins. Depending on your location, there may be many opportunities or few. We have members here from across the state that can offer advice for any area(s)..
Good luck.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless something changed the entire course can be done online. A buddy got his several years ago all online. Finding private land to hunt is getting very hard to do anymore without paying a lease or joining a club.

Wesburns556

Button Buck
I'm fairly confident you will need the full hunters ed course, and just the online portion is not adequate. UNLESS, you have a previous hunting license from another state.
Edited to add: After procuring the proper licenses, the search for a place to hunt begins. Depending on your location, there may be many opportunities or few. We have members here from across the state that can offer advice for any area(s)..
Good luck.
Okay so I have to take a field day course and when I go I have to show this certificate right?

Attachments

• 341A4C92-EE1B-4A5A-AD2E-A33B883350D3.png
    341A4C92-EE1B-4A5A-AD2E-A33B883350D3.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Okay so I have to take a field day course and when I go I have to show this certificate right?
Yes... It will last 2-3 hours. There will be a brief chat by Game Wardens or Biologists and then you show them how to work 3-4 different types of guns and then you take a 50 question test.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Unless something changed the entire course can be done online. A buddy got his several years ago all online. Finding private land to hunt is getting very hard to do anymore without paying a lease or joining a club.
Some states allow that. Unless something changed in NC you have to complete a field day.

Wesburns556

Button Buck
Yes... It will last 2-3 hours. There will be a brief chat by Game Wardens or Biologists and then you show them how to work 3-4 different types of guns and then you take a 50 question test.

Okay thanks for the information man

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Okay thanks for the information man

Just click on that link below your certificate and find the next field day. They fill up quick right now and it is tough to do it during the hunting season. You can also get a license as an apprentice and hunt with a licensed adult.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Heads up, can't hunt on Sunday's in NC like Texas...
Lot of good information at NCWRC.org.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
That depends on what you're hunting and if you're hunting public or private land.
All the same, if you're from somewhere that has no Sunday hunting laws and have no concept of it, it's good advice. I know I'd likely have run afoul of that one had I not found this message board with a lot of heated discussions about Sunday Hunting.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
All the same, if you're from somewhere that has no Sunday hunting laws and have no concept of it, it's good advice. I know I'd likely have run afoul of that one had I not found this message board with a lot of heated discussions about Sunday Hunting.
The Regs are your friend I read them throuroly when I go to any state to hunt never take word of mouth. To the original poster get you a reg book read it front to back paying special attention to public land rules and the specific rules for where your gonna hunt. Luckily NC makes it pretty easy I've been to few places where took fair amt work to get all restrictions, permits, specific units, draws understood. If you have specific question you don't understand ask the person that writes the tickets

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I’m new to N.C. I’m 27 and I want to start hunting. I went hunting in Texas with my uncle when I was young around from ages 8-13 and I want to start again I do have guns to hunt with I just need to know what I need to get started I’ve taken a hunter Education course online. What are the next steps to get started

I know how to skin animals
And I have the gear to hunt do I need anything else?
Wes, like Clark said the bad news is that in NC you can't hunt public land on Sunday although you can hunt private land on Sunday. The good news is that there is much more public land than Texas has. Assuming you are in Raleigh, try Falls Lake Game Lands. I lived in Raleigh for 20+ years, had good success hunting Jordan Game Lands but my friends who hunted Falls Lake (further than Jordan for me) were even more successful for deer.

What species are you into in hunting?

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Wes, like Clark said the bad news is that in NC you can't hunt public land on Sunday although you can hunt private land on Sunday. The good news is that there is much more public land than Texas has. Assuming you are in Raleigh, try Falls Lake Game Lands. I lived in Raleigh for 20+ years, had good success hunting Jordan Game Lands but my friends who hunted Falls Lake (further than Jordan for me) were even more successful for deer.

What species are you into in hunting?
I mean interested in hunting? (Darn autocorrect!)