New to hunting and new to North Carolina

Huntingtim

Button Buck
Hello everyone,

Thank you for accepting my request to be part of this forum. My name is Tim, and new to the triangle area. It has been years since deer And duck hunting, and I’d like to get back into it. I have read lots of helpful threads on this site. I’m starting to prepare for the upcoming deer season by accumulating gear. (Pretty much starting over and need a bow, boots, camo. I have guns.) Scouting public hunting maps, trying to transfer my safety class from Illinois, and get my license for NC. I have not found a mentor or hunting friend to bounce ideas off of. I’m looking forward to this year hunting. Any advise would be welcomed!
Tim

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Welcome. Public lands around here are pretty good compared to other places, and considering all the growth in the Triangle. We still have Falls, Jordan, and Harris close enough you can hunt mornings and be at work by lunchtime.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Second Upatree's comment , around falls lake there are plenty of public to hunt as well as some good archery zone only pieces . Jordan lake the same as well good luck this season , Craigslist in the sports section has plenty of hunting related items for sale unless you are looking new .

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If you’re looking for public land, I highly reccomend the OnX app. It will make finding spots easier and can be saved for use without an internet connection. Good luck this year!

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
and I'd invest in a NC DeLorme Atlas for all the gravel rds and foot trails, if ya like old school paper books.

AND if you're a Veteran, PM me and i'll hook you up with all the hunting and fishing opportunities you can handle thru TFO.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you’re looking for public land, I highly reccomend the OnX app. It will make finding spots easier and can be saved for use without an internet connection. Good luck this year!
Welcome, and I second this recommendation. This app will show you property boundaries and who owns the property. I think it's about $30 a year for just NC, but well worth it.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Howdy Tim, I'm also in Durham via central Illinois .
I usually go back to Illinois when I want to hunt deer , mostly for the gathering of old friends
but big bodied deer sure is the deciding factor.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Hi Tim, I grew up in Illinois. Safety course transfers super easy, IL has one of the easier to access databases IIRC for getting it.

You'll be disappointed in the deer hunting if you are a true trophy hunter.

If you just like to hunt, NC is really nice. Ample public land compared to Illinois, longer rifle seasons, more deer generally.

country

Ten Pointer
Pack up your cold weather clothes. Make sure you got camouflage shorts, t- shirts and a thermacell...

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Welcome, I think many are assuming that since you are from Illinois that you may be disappointed. But if you set new goals like with any challenge, it will be rewarding. My overall hunting experience here is very good due to high deer density. When your around deer every hunt, you learn a lot about them. Goodluck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sunshine63

Button Buck
Hello everyone,

Thank you for accepting my request to be part of this forum. My name is Tim, and new to the triangle area. It has been years since deer And duck hunting, and I’d like to get back into it. I have read lots of helpful threads on this site. I’m starting to prepare for the upcoming deer season by accumulating gear. (Pretty much starting over and need a bow, boots, camo. I have guns.) Scouting public hunting maps, trying to transfer my safety class from Illinois, and get my license for NC. I have not found a mentor or hunting friend to bounce ideas off of. I’m looking forward to this year hunting. Any advise would be welcomed!
Tim

LTCNC_Sam

Button Buck
Welcome to NC! I echo others in saying that OnX is a game changer for navigating game lands.

For hunting in the Piedmont region, you should definitely check out Three Rivers Land Trust's Sportsman Access Program. They typically have a dove hunt in September, which is a great way to meet other local hunters.