New to crabbing

When I was about 12 or so, my Uncle and I would set cage traps for crab in the Chesapeake Bay. Much fun, good memories, great eating.
I'd like to get my hand back in it but I have little idea where to start learning the ways and the regs of crabbing in NC. So I figure my best place for beginner info would be a shop or store that was near the coast, someplace that could offer advice and where necessary gear could be purchased. Anyone have any recommendations as to a specific shop to visit? I live in New Bern so driving a bit is no problem. TIA

ECU_Pirate

Banned
If you live in New Bern you are close to productive waters. No need to go to the coast. I think with an rcgl you can have 5 crab pots. Certain rules apply but it's pretty straight forward. If you have a pier or access to the water you can use chicken on a string. Crabs usually move into the rivers starting in early summer and leave in early fall. No rcgl required to use chicken and string or a crab trap.

Do you own a boat or a water front lot?

willch

Twelve Pointer
Plenty of crabs around New Bern and just about any outdoor shop in the area will have crab pots. Get you some Menhaden or similar fish for bait and you're all set.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I use fish scraps. Used to have a rec license but when it doubled to $80, I stopped buying.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
To use pots, other than 1 tied to private land, you have to have a RCGL.

If you have a RCGL, you can set 5 pots. They have to have a pink buoy with your name engraved.

I don't think you have to have a RCGL to use the collapsible traps as long as you have rec fishing license.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I commercially crabed a little when I was younger in the lower Neuse river and Pamlico and Core sounds. Your in a prime spot near New Bern. Early in the year, let's say April and May, shad will be your best bait. Once you get into the heat of summer shrimp heads always produced the best. Watch the guys who make their living crabbing, you'll notice in late summer their pots will be very close to shore. This is because deeper water is oxygen deprived as the water temp rises and alagea blooms start. Crabs will die in the pot fairly quickly in low oxygen water.