New to Bowhunting

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Hey! I recently bought a bow and I'm planning on bowhunting next deer season. I've shot a few times through scouts and summer camps as a kid but was wondering what I should expect for next season and what I should work on/be learning about. I'll be heading to a bow shop to learn some more but thought I should hear a bit from you guys about how different bowhunting is. At first glance, from a non-bowhunter, it seems about the same as gun hunting just with a different weapon. But I hear often: "A bow hunt begins where a gun hunt ends". Could someone chime in here and let me know how? I'd love to pick this up as my primary hunting method but I gotta start somewhere and that somewhere is right here. Thank you in advance

Whitdon83

Button Buck
I think you will fine it to be much more challenging but also more rewarding. I personally feel like taking a mature buck with a bow is extremely challenging. Everything is magnified. You have to pay more attention to every aspect of the hunt. The wind, your sound, your movement, as well as deer movement since you will have a much smaller range compared to a rifle. It sounds like a lot but the rut is the great equalizer that makes deer let their guard down. I recommend hitting other chat rooms and reading about strategies (archerytalk, saddle hunter) and also youtube. In my opinion the people on their are more realistic compared to the drury’s or others on their huge private farms. I also recommend huntingbeast. Dan offers a lot of insight about how/why deer bed where they do and how they travel. This helps when you need to be within 40 yards instead of 300! Best of luck. Fair warning.... it can be very addictive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
It sounds great, man. I'll check out what the other forums have to say. It makes a lot more sense how different it can be with wind and movent when you mention the change in distance. Thank you

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
3D season is cranking up. I shoot them quite a bit. Puts you around some knowledgeable folk. Keeps you in tune.

The points rings arent always in the best spots to shoot them, the last month or two before deer season I lay off the points and concentrate on the kill spots. Helps with understanding angles and yardages.

I could go on and on, but I just stay immersed in it and concentrate on good form and clean shots.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
3D season is cranking up. I shoot them quite a bit. Puts you around some knowledgeable folk. Keeps you in tune.

The points rings arent always in the best spots to shoot them, the last month or two before deer season I lay off the points and concentrate on the kill spots. Helps with understanding angles and yardages.

I could go on and on, but I just stay immersed in it and concentrate on good form and clean shots.
What is 3D season? I assumed 3D target season but you mentioned being around knowledgeable people. Where's this?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I think what I remember most when I actually started shooting at real animals is that it's so much different shooting at a deer in a real hunting situation then it is a target in your yard. So I would go through the extra work to make practice as real as possible especially for your confidence. Shoot a 3d target from the exact spot you will be hunting if possible. Just know that you may do everything correctly and still miss or wound the animal. There are some things you just have to learn by actually hunting and being close to deer to become a great hunter/archer. I don't consider myself a good bowhunter but I do have patience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

wl704

Ten Pointer
^solid advice.

After getting some coaching on his form, practice is key. When you're proficient at a distance, move back 5 yds. And repeat.

Then start altering angles (horizontal/up/downhill) , through various narrow lane (past/over/under trees/logs/rocks... This is part of the appeal with (some) 3d...it does increasingly simulate situations you may encounter while hunting...

Other forums I find helpful at at bowhunting.com and Rokslide (more for western hunts). There are also some good groups on FB and Mewe.

FlipFlop281

Button Buck
Hey! I recently bought a bow and I'm planning on bowhunting next deer season. I've shot a few times through scouts and summer camps as a kid but was wondering what I should expect for next season and what I should work on/be learning about. I'll be heading to a bow shop to learn some more but thought I should hear a bit from you guys about how different bowhunting is. At first glance, from a non-bowhunter, it seems about the same as gun hunting just with a different weapon. But I hear often: "A bow hunt begins where a gun hunt ends". Could someone chime in here and let me know how? I'd love to pick this up as my primary hunting method but I gotta start somewhere and that somewhere is right here. Thank you in advance
I just got into it as well. Picked me up a Matthews Mission with all the goodies. It’s already addictive!

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1. Learn your weapon.

2. Tune your arrow/bow combination so that you’re getting true arrow flight. This matters not while target shooting, but is paramount when launching BH-tippedarrows.

3. Set up a ladder stand in your yard (if you can) and practice out of it. Move your target around. Think about how the angle/elevation (you) change the intended point of impact. Think about the path you want your arrow to take through that animal. This path changes your intended point if impact, each step the animal takes or each turn it makes. when you make the decision to take an animal with a bow, your focus goes to that point and you compute until the arrow is released. That sounds technical. It’s not. It’s a practiced habit that successful bow hunters do without thinking.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
For the hunting aspect of it make sure you are drawing enough weight. Which shouldn’t be an issue and make sure your become comfortable with the longest distance your willing to shot and DONT shoot at an animal past that. 30 yards is plenty. Both deer I shot last season were under 20 yards. Also learning and understanding where the vitals are at is extremely important you want to think about how the arrows will pass though the animal not just where you want it to enter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Just like a suit, find someone who will make sure the bow fits you.
The draw length is important, there are tricks to compensate for it, but much nicer to have it fit
If you are unsure of what i mean, what is your draw length now? and what is the bow draw length set at? If either of these questions are unknown, then find a bow shop to get it right

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
What is 3D season? I assumed 3D target season but you mentioned being around knowledgeable people. Where's this?

Check the sticky at the top of the archery page. There are archery clubs all over NC that hold 3D shoots. Its fun and puts you with some like minded people.

As others have said, get your bow tuned by a proficient person. A properly tuned bow is easier to shoot vs. pulling your hair out wondering why things aren't going right.

Above all have fun !!

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Check the sticky at the top of the archery page. There are archery clubs all over NC that hold 3D shoots. Its fun and puts you with some like minded people.

As others have said, get your bow tuned by a proficient person. A properly tuned bow is easier to shoot vs. pulling your hair out wondering why things aren't going right.

Above all have fun !!

Will do! I plan on going to the shop this week. Thank you!

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Some great advise here on how to shoot a bow. But to answer your question on what it means when people say " a bow hunt begins where a gun hunt ends ". To me it is about your being able to find a dead animal that you have just shot. Some will be easy, most will not be. Its is an important skill you must develop to be a bow hunter. You can not develop this skill on a forum or on youtube it must be learned in the woods. Be prepared mentally (never give up attitude , not being afraid of the dark ) and physically . Let all your friends who hunt know that you are willing to help track (blood trail) any animal that they have shot. Be prepared day (water, knife etc) or night (flash light ,batteries, ) till you find a dead animal or make damn sure it is not dead, most people quit way too soon IMHO. GOOD LUCK!!!(y)

Last edited:

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Some great advise here on how to shoot a bow. But to answer your question on what it means when people say " a bow hunt begins where a gun hunt ends ". To me it is about your being able to find a dead animal that you have just shot. Some will be easy, most will not be. Its is an important skill you must develop to be a bow hunter. You can not develop this skill on a forum or on youtube it must be learned in the woods. Be prepared mentally (never give up attitude , not being afraid of the dark ) and physically . Let all your friends who hunt know that you are willing to help track (blood trail) any animal that they have shot. Be prepared day (water, knife etc) or night (flash light ,batteries, ) till you find a dead animal or make damn sure it is not dead, most people quit way too soon IMHO. GOOD LUCK!!!(y)
The more y'all tell me about this, the more I'm getting excited. Thanks for the advice!

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Your mistakes catch up to you more acutely when bow hunting. Margin for error is smaller since you are likely to be closer - spotted quicker, heard quicker, winded quicker. More movement is more chance for discovery. Planning and prep for your shots is crucial.

Learning to shoot begins with proper DL, anchor point, draw, loading, grip, follow through and form. Those are usually things that observers can help with quicker, but nail those down quickly or expect tuning issues.

Best wishes

I would practice real hunting shots. A lot of people shoot on level ground at 30 to 40 yards at a big target straight on. And that is fine just to make sure your bow is on. I would get up in a tree stand and practice real shots on a deer target. Practice different angles at different ranges. If you have a shooting lane between trees or branches practice that. Practice scenarios that you are gonna have in the woods. You may have to draw from a seated position practice that.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Your body needs to be in tune with the bow like a machine. You need to learn muscle memory for proper form,meaning you need to repeat the same anchor point and upper body position without thinking about it. When that deer is in front of you the more things that come naturally the better so all you will concentrate on is the yardage and sights. After it all comes together there ain't no other way of taking a deer more satisfying than when you release that arrow and hear the sound of it plunking in the chest cavity. Nothing compared. Back when we all shot aluminum the arrow had a ring to it that I really miss. And a crossbow is not the same as having that draw cycle and release not even close