New to 3D….

1stgenHunter

Six Pointer
I decided on a whim to go to a 3D shoot tomorrow morning at Western Carolina Bowhunters. I found out the club is not 5 minutes down the road from me.

I’ve got 1 year experience with a compound and took a couple deer last year but would consider myself a total newbie. Im relatively confident on flat ground out to 50 yards, but have my sight tape marked to 60. After some brief research I’m a little intimidated, as I had no clue that rangefinders aren’t allowed at most 3D functions. I’d rate myself decent at guessing ranges, but haven’t spent much time walking out random distances and guessing on my tape.

I really don’t care how I score, and don’t intend to do this competitively. I just want to become more proficient with my bow and use it as a way to learn and prepare for next September.

With all those things in mind, what should my expectations be for tomorrow? Do any of you vets have any tips/tricks? Any guesses as to whether I’ll be shooting the course alone or with others? This is totally new to me and besides some brief internet research on general rules at most places, I’m totally winging it.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Unless you shoot just for fun you're required to shoot in a group to score each other's arrows. Other than that be honest with yourself on which class you want to be under and have fun shooting. DO NOT DRY FIRE YOUR BOW! I know that from experience. You get caught up in the moment and forget to nock an arrow, sounds crazy but been there done that. If you use a rangefinder hunting shoot a known class. No idea about this shoot but if you show up on the middle of the day be prepared to wait at each target.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
It’s going to be tough if you’re shooting a ranch fairy arrow. The speed limit is in place for a reason.
Shoot bow hunter class. Aim for center 10s and have fun. I’m pretty sure you can shoot for fun with a range finder or shoot a known class.
If not unknown, it takes practice. I like judging from 20yds. Find something at 20yds on the ground, then judge out from there 20-25–30-35-40…

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Most places will let you shoot for fun, so you can shoot what you bring. 3D can be addicting as I’m starting to find out!

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Our archery in schools program state tournament is coming up on April 22nd at South Caldwell. If you have never seen it then it is well worth watching one. We shoot turkey, coyote, bear, antelope, whitetail, and big horn sheep. It is a blast for the school kids!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
They should have a “known” yardage class. At least most of the shoots I went to did. Granted I haven’t shot 3D comps in about 3-4 yrs now. I was VP of a club for a long time. I used to love it but got tired of all the whining.

Quick google search shows a Mens Known 40, womens known 40 and a mens known 50 yd class rangefinders allowed.