New tags showed up!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure this was posted.... Man what a change.

Now you got to poke them two times. Month and day. I know things were changing but just have not see them.
They are also a lot bigger and will not fold up as nice as the old type.
Now all they need to do is have you cut them out and tape to the horns or leg. Guess that is coming next.
Dang sure will not hold up with this new paper.

Anyways was just surprised at the change.
It was hard enough to get people to poke them one time let alone now two times.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I've used same style in other states so no big deal
I have no problem with them.
That aside there will be some tickets and people bitching about it after marking date but not month.

Not really happy about the size just more to carry but easy to deal with.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Way back NC tags had to have the month and day notched out. Many folks wouldn't get both of them notched according to some check station (WRC) folks I used to know. 5 deer would be brought in and 2 of them would have to be reminded to validate the tag by the check station folks. Also know a few folks that would slice their fingers trying to cut the material as well.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got mine a couple weeks ago and didn't notice. Just looked, and see it now. Not a big deal just two snips instead of one now. They are no bigger.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I get it, We are just falling in line with other states. Now there is a physical way to check the harvest date and more easily enforce the current rules. Punching out a little bullseye was just a feel good for the hunter.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I must have got an early run, mine are exactly the same size, you have to cut out the month and date but they go in the same folder I have carried mine in for years.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just find it funny they set the tag up to look like the one you have or any typically used for attachment to deer. Out of staters may cut them out and tape to a deer.

I really liked the old tags in ND. We had a metal tag with the code stamped on the tag.ike a big Zip Tie or the trapper tags needed for otter or cats.
Back then we poked a hole in the leg and strapped it on.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I must have got an early run, mine are exactly the same size, you have to cut out the month and date but they go in the same folder I have carried mine in for years.
Ones I got are a lot larger. Width is about the same. Height of each about 1.75 x or more.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Way back NC tags had to have the month and day notched out. Many folks wouldn't get both of them notched according to some check station (WRC) folks I used to know. 5 deer would be brought in and 2 of them would have to be reminded to validate the tag by the check station folks. Also know a few folks that would slice their fingers trying to cut the material as well.

Any of those folks still living?

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Any of those folks still living?
Yep. Surprisingly so! ;) They used to get excited and and try to cut that tyvek like material while holding it in their numb from the cold hands rather than holding it against something hard. Just more lessons learned the hard way in the deer woods I guess!