New smokehouse build

92xj

Eight Pointer
With over 100 pounds of duck, 150 pounds of elk and 50 pounds of salmon, I have out grown my old smoker setup and am needing something to run large batches. This is where I am right now, taking a break from siding. Hoping to have it complete next weekend to stain and then season.

92xj

Eight Pointer
How I ended for the day. I'm hoping I will be getting some tin roofing in the next two weeks to place on top of the T&G roof I built today.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
One thing I always worried with for a wood smoke house if you store it inside how do you keep the bugs out and dont have a mess for stuff that drips out of the wood?
Also on the other hand how would you keep it from getting full of bugs, mold or green slime in a wet summer like we had this past year?

Sure looks nice and I want to buikd something like it.

92xj

Eight Pointer
I live in the desert, our yearly average is about 5 inches of precipitation. We do have creepy crawlys that I dealt with, with my last pit. Just takes some cleaning to get it back up and running. I will stain the outside and season heavily the inside. I have friends in the westside in the rainforest that have wood smoke houses and they last and work great. And you shouldn't have much, if any, dripping from the wood, it will seal itself very well.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
How are you generating smoke? Why are you adding exhaust?

All else looks awesome. Been thinking about building one of those for years

92xj

Eight Pointer
How are you generating smoke? Why are you adding exhaust?

All else looks awesome. Been thinking about building one of those for years

Heating source will be a double propane burner with lower btus. Cold smoking will happen with a saw dust amazen smoker. Exhaust is needed to exhaust the smoke and create a draft. You don't regulate temp with the exhaust but draft is good and draws out moisture so there's no build up and dripping inside.

Last edited:

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. Always figured the smoke would find its way out through cracks and such. Never considered moisture etc.

Glad to see you have cold smoke and hot smoke covered. Other than ducks, what's on the list?

I'm fond of poultry, salmon, jerky, cheese, etc. tried salt this year-didn't do much for me.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Can you show how/where you are making smoke?

The wood part seen being built in my garage will be taken out back and placed on top of the cinder block structure. Inside the cinder blocks there will be a propane burner. A cast iron skillet will sit on the burner with wood chips in it. Turn on burner, create heat and smoke.

When I don't want heat but do want smoke I will burn saw dust in an a-maze-n saw dust smoker that will be sitting inside the cinder blocks as well.

Once I am done construction and have it set up I can show pictures of how I'm making smoke. Pretty easy stuff.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Ok I was mainly wondering about the cold smoke if the heating element was inside the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

Eight Pointer
Thanks. Always figured the smoke would find its way out through cracks and such. Never considered moisture etc.

Glad to see you have cold smoke and hot smoke covered. Other than ducks, what's on the list?

I'm fond of poultry, salmon, jerky, cheese, etc. tried salt this year-didn't do much for me.

Smoke will find it's way out through the cracks and poor building skills but it won't be at a fast enough rate to draft properly.

I plan to smoke pretty much everything in here.
I've got batches of snack sticks and summer sausage from Elk and duck. Bacon, brats and sausages will be done as well. Salmon fillets, salmon candy and sturgeon will be done in here and I will do a few butts and brisket. Cheese, salt and nuts will be the main cold smoked items.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Dont want to side track your thread but really like the lights in your shop.
Posted a thread asking for input, care to add some. Thinking about 3 to 4 pods like yours with led lights.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Got the base prepped and ready for the house to be placed on.
The side vertical pavers are used to control air intake, slide them over to open up the opening and allow more air in.
The cinder block that pulls out will allow me to access the cast iron pan that will hold my wood chips. Will be able to dump ash and add wood without opening the house door and releasing heat and smoke.

92xj

Eight Pointer
On a side note, I REALLY enjoy pulling for the panthers in the middle of seahawk country.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If I were going to run that gas line I think that I would feel better if it was solid.
Closed in will take a toll on the flex line.
I had one like that almost melt from the heat build up.
In my case I wanted to go to a copper line for safety

Last edited:

92xj

Eight Pointer
I agree, it will be a hard line or the metal flex line. Was just setting it up to show configuration.

92xj

Eight Pointer
Finally got most everything complete. Got it protected and stained. Got the exhaust vents drilled and each hole gets it's own covering. I will really be able to dial it in for all needs with the way I came up with. Got a shelf built for the outside that I will attach once it's set on the blocks. Hoping to do that this afternoon or tomorrow morning and then start the seasoning process. It's coming together.