New Shotgun Needed

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I am sure this topic has been covered in the past, but who on the forum doesn't enjoy a good discussion on firearms.
I suddenly and unfortunately find myself in the market for a new shotgun. Due to a Smash and Grab, I now also need a new window for my vehicle and am very nervous about wearing my waders as they are full of glass - but that is another discussion.

What are the recommendations for an affordable shotgun nowadays. My trusty rusty was 14 years old, so I haven't been in the market for a long time. I know there is a lot of new guns on the market.
The gun purchased will be used in boats and swamps and will get wet while paddling around in the creekboat. I prefer 3.5 inch capability, and a nicely finished stock is not going to hold up well in the conditions I use my guns in. I do not have $1000 to spend on a gun that may one day fall out of the boat, so that X's the high-end autoloaders out there.

Thanks for the recommendation guys and keep your gear locked up tight.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I am sure this topic has been covered in the past, but who on the forum doesn't enjoy a good discussion on firearms.
I suddenly and unfortunately find myself in the market for a new shotgun. Due to a Smash and Grab, I now also need a new window for my vehicle and am very nervous about wearing my waders as they are full of glass - but that is another discussion.

What are the recommendations for an affordable shotgun nowadays. My trusty rusty was 14 years old, so I haven't been in the market for a long time. I know there is a lot of new guns on the market.
The gun purchased will be used in boats and swamps and will get wet while paddling around in the creekboat. I prefer 3.5 inch capability, and a nicely finished stock is not going to hold up well in the conditions I use my guns in. I do not have $1000 to spend on a gun that may one day fall out of the boat, so that X's the high-end autoloaders out there.

I have a mossberg 930 I will sell you for $350

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
They still may be a little high for you but take a look at Flyway technologies. I have heard some good things about them, no first hand experience. Throwing them out there as an option beyond the standard companies.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Im a Franchi fan. I have the Affinity but they do have a 3.5 version as well. On season 4 with mine and other than a quick wipe down with hoppe wipes once a year its never had a hiccup. I got mine new for just over $500. The Beretta Outlander is a comparable gun too in the same price range.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Man that’s a drag. I remember you posting about deer hunting/doing school work on the lap top. Is that when it happened???

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Check out the stoeger 3500’s......they are good guns and are reasonably priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Don't own one but been around a couple a300 berettas. Really nice gun. Not 3.5" , but it's what I would get if I was in the market.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Beretta A300 Outlander looks good for the price. I’ve heard good things about the Stoegers as well. In wouldn’t get hung up on the 3.5 inch unless your buddies hunt with it extremely regularly.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Sorry to hear about the theft...one of my biggest worries when traveling with guns.

I bought a Mossberg 930 factory camo for $500 or less from GrabAGun past Feb, it has been great for doves and wood ducks and I even killed a specklebelly in Arkansas past Saturday. I have Mossberg 835's also but find the 3.5inch pump guns unnecessary punishment vs. the 3inch soft-shooting gas operated 930. Plus I Buy American whenever possible. As I understand the 930 is manufactured in Texas. $350 is a fair price for used 930 especially if it is factory camo. Be sure to ask/clarify if it functions properly--might just need piston etc cleaned. PM me if you want more opinion.

gnorris74

Spike
I’ve shot a stoeger m3000 for 3 years now, no issues what so ever, however I am looking to move to a 20 ga soon based on reloading and general interest. Might could work out a deal if you’re in Charlotte ever

TH7

Eight Pointer
I have a franchi that I have enjoyed. Remingtons V3 is another option a good bit less than 1,000

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Update: I checked my records-- I paid only $420 including Shipping at Grabagun for that Mossberg 930 , plus another $25 at local gun store to receive it. And no State Sales Tax! So $445 total!

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I've heard good things about stoegers as well, i can personally vouch for a benelli m1 super 90 which are real similar to the stoegers. Cycling perfectly in -12° (with wind chill). A5's not so much. 2 of em were single shots that morning. Both those guys have lost their charging handles in the field too...affordable tho I'd say stoeger or the new winchesters for semi auto. Cant beat an 870 tho for the ultimate affordability and reliability....I hate a thief!!

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I'd also check out Tristar. Couple of hunting buddies put em through the ringer last year duck hunting with zero issues.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Guys- thanks for all the recommendations. I had a pile of Cabelas points and after suggestions from here along with some other friends and a lot of internet time, I picked up a Stoger today. Hope to shoot a couple of birds on the lake tomorrow afternoon. Again I appreciate all y'alls suggestions and time.

shadebaby

Six Pointer
Stoeger m3500 works just as good as the high dollar guns and i'm not afraid to walk through the swamp and get it wet.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I seriously tested my Stoeger m3000 last season! Hunted several days in extreme cold, sink boxes , several brands of ammo and preformed every bit as good as my Benelli! It’s a bit more “rough cut” than a benelli or Beretta but for the money it’s the best gun out there! If your hunting salt water like I do, and can’t clean it every hunt just go heavy on a product like ballitsol. Good luck!

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Stoeger m3500 works just as good as the high dollar guns and i'm not afraid to walk through the swamp and get it wet.
People say this like if you shoot a high end gun, you have to baby it.

Being able to beat the :donk:donk:donk:donk out of it is a big part of the reason I bought a Beretta. I clean it with CLP once in a while and it performs flawlessly every day. Saltwater, freshwater, mud, sand, ect. nothing has phased it yet.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got a Stoeger m3500 and am not afraid to beat the crap out of it. There is a break-in guide if you are going to shoot light trap/clay loads in it. I've shot 250 rounds in two outings on mine and did not have one failure.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One of the things that has given the 3500 the bad rap is the recoil dampener. If it is installed it will/may cause it to have feed problems with ultra light loads. I have been around several, some that have had absolutely no maintenance, some that were well taken care of. All functioned fine. Mine, I did put the recoil dampener in just to see if I could make it FTF and it would with 1 oz loads. Take it out and it would burn them through it as quick as it could cycle them.

Personally I don't like the recoil dampener in it anyway as it makes it butt heavy.

Last edited: