New season, new gun!

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I've got a Vanguard in .270 Winchester, and like it a lot. I'm curious to hear your impressions with the 6.5. I think you'll be pleased.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Love my vanguard. I think you’re going to like it a lot.

Finally got to shoot it today. Shooting a relatively inexpensive round, the Hornady American Whitetail round that I’ll use for the season. A little high & right but a couple of clicks of the scope turrets & that was fixed. Very nice accuracy though.

The other stickers were from initial shots at 25 yards to make sure the bore sighting was close.

Attachments

• 1161A4BA-F996-479E-A86E-4E3C12469AFC.jpeg
    1161A4BA-F996-479E-A86E-4E3C12469AFC.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 27

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That is the surprising thing, it doesn’t appear to be free floated.
I was thinking the Vanguard had a contact point. The Tikka T3 Lite I bought last year had it as well. I removed it and it improved my groups, but yours look fine!

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
That is the surprising thing, it doesn’t appear to be free floated.
As I understand it, the Weatherby Mark V barrels are free floated. The Vanguards have a lighter, "whippery" barrel, and benefit from some upward pressure. My 270 shoots MOA with factory Federal Premium Nosler Partitions. Some guys have the time and inclination to tweak the setup and load to squeeze more accuracy out of it, and that's great, but I do not. A deer at about 300 yards (my limit, not the guns) or less won't know the difference between MOA accuracy or .75 or .67 MOA, so I don't fret about it.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Love my creedmoor
Me too. My go to rifle has been the .270 Win for roughly 40 years. The 6.5 CM seems to be taking its place. I bought one early last year and was so impressed that I bought two more before the year was out.